Axe-Edit runs on Linux using the latest wine

Discussion in 'Legacy Versions' started by 29a, Mar 4, 2010.

1. 29a

29a
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I got axe-edit to run on Ubuntu 9.10 using the latest wine version (wine-1.1.39). It is eating up a lot of cpu for some reason but everything seems to work. I'd still really like to see a native version though. If anybody is having trouble, I'm willing to help. ;)

Cheers,
    Jonas

2. quonsar

quonsar
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Been running it on Ubuntu 8.10 and Wine 1.01 here for some time now. No excessive CPU usage noted. But I don't actually use it much, front panel is fine for editing for me, and Lars old editor has the preset management features I need.

Its strange, I believe the reason given for not compiling a Linux version was something about a Linux midi incompatibility with the GUI library they are using. It must be a problem in the library itself, because I have ZERO trouble with Linux midi. Thousands of posts about midi communication issues here and all from Mac and Windows users. I send and receive presets, banks, and firmware using amidi on the command line and never have failures. In fact, I get WAY faster firmware loads than on my Windows box - amidi pumps the data down the wire so fast the lights on my MAudio UNO shine solid green, and my Axe standard gobbles it right up first time, every time.

3. 29a

29a
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Re: Axe-Edit runs on Linux

1.01 didn't work for me. It was rambling about the sysex not fitting in the allocated buffer or so and the midi configuration always froze.

Afaik they are using JUCE, which is Open Source and does support Linux and Alsa.
    http://code.google.com/p/juced/source/b ... x_Midi.cpp ;)

Cheers,
    Jonas

4. matthewearl

matthewearl
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

that is awesome. i am gonna try it now.

thanks

matthew earl

5. voes

voes
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Cool! I'm gonna try this out this week!

6. s0c9

s0c9
    Expand Collapse

INTERESTING..... As this appears in direct conflict to what appears to be the issue on Win/Mac platform. I backed off my buffer settings (win7x64,8GB RAM. MS Drivers, Midisport UNO) from the default to 128/90, as the Axe appeared to be choking at the higher values. True, this could be an AxeEdit issue and not directly MIDI related.
    Does give me food for thought tho'.. so may play with sendsx to see what sort of "flow" I can get.

7. quonsar

quonsar
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

See, I don't think it's the Axe choking on the higher speeds. I firmly believe the problem is with excess overhead in the Windows and Mac midi drivers. I figure if the Axe chokes or freezes at high speed or small buffer settings, its because it's receiving a data stream garbled by a poorly written driver.

8. s0c9

s0c9
    Expand Collapse

You may very well be right.. unfortunately, there will need to be some testing done to confirm that. Kinda busy right now, but will see if I can squeeze some in.

9. pholklore

pholklore
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Hi!

So a couple of weeks ago, I my new Ultra arrived, and so I bought some MIDI cables to connect it to my Edirol FA-101 interface. I was happy to see that people have been running Axe-Edit under wine.

The FA-101 is a firewire interface, supported by jack/firewire/ffado only, no alsa drivers. This means that in order to have wine (with does alsa MIDI only) talk to the Axe-FX, one needs to bridge Jack MIDI and Alsa MIDI using a2jmidid <http://home.gna.org/a2jmidid/> 's static bridges.

Unfortunately, after (virtually) connecting things up with patchage, data wasn't coming through (*) :(

At this point, it would probably be less painful to go and buy a cheap USB/Midi dongle known to work on linux, but hey, there's no fun in that!

So I ramped up on all things MIDI, got soaked neck deep into jackd's and a2jmidi_bridge/j2amidi_bridge's sources, and fixed them enough to support large (unlimited) sysex messages, and a few other things that I learned through experimentation and MIDI sniffing/monitoring on Windows, were the things that both jackd and a2j were getting wrong. Here's the result:

[​IMG]

:mrgreen: Hurray, it works!

I'm going to clean up the patches and send them upstream shortly.

However! there are some bad news. After all this, I found out that everything appears to work in Axe-Edit under wine (switch presets, edit the presets and all the parameters and see them reflected live on the Axe-FX, load a whole bank off of the Axe-FX, which send a huge SysEx, btw.), except, loading/importing presets from files... Doing that crashes Axe-Edit/wine. Grrrrrr! Anyone else seeing this? This is wine 1.2-0ubuntu1+winert1 on Kubuntu 10.04 / amd64. I guess I need to try some other wine versions. I was hoping to avoid having to dig into Wine's sources. :D

10. quonsar

quonsar
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Freaking awesome!!!!

11. psst

psst
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Same problem here, ubuntu 10.10, wine 1.2.1 and alst AxeEditor version.
    Did you manage to solve the problem?

12. pholklore

pholklore
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Yes, I ended up digging into wine's sources and wrote a patch. It needs cleanup in order to be postable to wine upstream, but it works/fixes that issue. No more crashes, and axe-edit communicates with the axe-fx perfectly. If you want it, let me know.

13. Paul '82

Paul '82
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I'd like to have that patch... I have the same problem...
    Can you send me?
    I'd be very happy because I tried everything without success...

Thanx in advance... :)

14. bladlus

bladlus
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

I'd also love that patch! :)

15. pholklore

pholklore
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Hi guys,

Find my WIP wine patch here:

https://sites.google.com/site/alvesped/software

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance of cleaning it up in weeks. I've been meaning to clean this up and post it upstream, but well, time passes and that hasn't happened. Heck, I don't think I've played the guitar in about 3 weeks now. The code the patch touches hasn't changed in wine git for years, and the code in question that triggers the fault is so buggy that it hurts.

I'd written this on top of wine 1.2 + Ubuntu's wine1.2_1.2-0ubuntu1+winert1 patch, on kubuntu 10.04.

You don't really need to build the whole of wine, only the winealsa.drv.so "dll". So, what I do is, after having configuring the tree once, I just cd into

...wine-1.2/build/dlls/winealsa.drv

"make", and then copy the resulting winealsa.drv.so over /usr/lib32/wine/winealsa.drv.so (making a backup first, obviously).

Sorry, this assumes you know how to apply patches, and rebuilt stuff.

16. quonsar

quonsar
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Any chance you'd share your patched and rebuilt winealsa.drv.so? I managed to get the source, apply the patch and compile winealsa.drv.so (actually had to make the whole wine though).

The size of my winealsa.drv.so was less than half the size of the original. When I substituted it and ran Axe-Edit, it couldn't see my midi devices at all. :(

17. #17 bladlus, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    bladlus

bladlus
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

18. quonsar

quonsar
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Super! Thanks! I wonder why mine came out only 94k?

At any rate - WORKS PERFECTLY!!!! THANK YOU BOTH!!!!

19. voes

voes
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

:shock: Woow, it works!

Many thanks b-jensen and pholklore!!!!!

One very little remark for others who want to try this: on Ubuntu 10.10 there isn't a lib32 but a lib directory. So you would have to copy the resulting winealsa.drv.so over /usr/lib/wine/winealsa.drv.so (making a backup first, obviously).

I tried using linux almost 20 years now and then, more as a curious thing than a real use. But since Ubuntu it's really easy and straightforward to use. So now I'm using it more and more (on several computers already as only OS).
    At home I used a dual-boot because of some programs. One of them was Axe-Edit! One reason less to use windows :)

Thanks again guys!

20. shasha

shasha
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Stupid question here.

Is there an advantage to using Linux over Mac or Windows for audio based applications?

I can see where less bloatiness would be good for resources, but I haven't really seen anyone use it for editing or recording. I'm sure that it works, but what kind of applications are out there for Linux?