Axe Edit question

My band uses my Axe FX II XL+ for both guitarists, which makes it quite complicated to program. To date as I'm still learning the software and how to program my FCB1010 (stock not UNO) to control the Axe via Midi, as well as triggering our samples (bass drop etc) I have been setting the unit up using various presets. I have figured out how to control Scenes as well through the FCB but haven't yet set it all up on different patch because I can't figure out how to copy a whole row of the grid over to a new preset... Am I making sense?

I trigger preset changes using Program commands, and Samples using Midi notes. I think the scenes were changed by CC messages but haven't really messed with them yet... The FCB runs to the Axe FX IN, and then a midi interface from the AXE FX THRU to a laptop running Reaper with the samples in a vst sampler. Anyone know of any better options than that I'm open to hearing as well!

I want to now set it up so that I can use the scenes to remove the dropout we currently get by me switching presets to go from clean to dirty tone etcetera during a song, and also to be able to set a boost and some fx on for leads while pulling the other guitar back some to make leads pop out.

It sounds like you want to copy a selection of blocks from one preset to another one?

That is not directly possible.

What you could do is save each block that you want to copy into your block library. Then go to the preset you want to add them to and add blocks of each type into that preset. You can use the saved block library to recall the settings for each block.

if you're copying majority of another preset, just save that preset to a new number as a starting point.

I didn't know about the library function, thanks!

It looks like when I save and name a block to the library it keeps it exactly as is when ported into a new preset correct?

It sounds like you want to copy a selection of blocks from one preset to another one?

That is not directly possible.

What you could do is save each block that you want to copy into your block library. Then go to the preset you want to add them to and add blocks of each type into that preset. You can use the saved block library to recall the settings for each block.

Totally off topic, but spend the $30.00 and get the UNO chip. It takes nothing to install and it turns the FCB1010 into a whole new beast.

Totally off topic, but spend the $30.00 and get the UNO chip. It takes nothing to install and it turns the FCB1010 into a whole new beast.

I've considered UNO and I'm not sure which way to go... as I said above I have been programming the unit primarily using the tap dance method, however I do have an editor that kind of works, but it's very tricky. The Tap Dance method is annoying and easy to forget the parts but once you do it a few times it's not too bad, just not easy to change things on the fly.

I currently use the top row, preset buttons 6 - 10 to change our tones/patches. Currently this is done by changing the full preset, however it sometimes causes an audio dropout that I've heard may be eliminated or reduced by using fewer presets and then using scenes to change the sounds... in my limited testing of scenes it still seems however that if I change amps, for instance a clean amp like a shiva in x state to a driven amp like Fas Modern III in y state, it still drops out. I need to find a convenient way to be able to use scenes, for instance, to pop the leads out in front etc. I'm just out of buttons it seems with the current setup without having to juggle and tap dance through banks. Unfortunately I'm the only one in my band with IEM, and the other guys are still quite resistant to running click tracks etc so that I would be able to just program midi changes in the laptop.

I use the bottom row, Preset Buttons 1-5 primarily for triggering Samples. 1 is a bass drop, 2 is a cello part that accompanies our intro, 3 and 4 are some dubstep type fills to give a quick tuning or water break, and 5 currently switches the preset back to the same as #6, but triggers a bass drop at the same time for when we switch from our clean part of our intro to the heavy.

The expression pedals are currently not assigned to anything as I can't seem to get them to work correctly and consistently...
I would like to assign a Pedal to each guitarist for volume and then when I pull the volume of mine all the way back, activate the Tuner like Trivium does with their Kempers... not sure if that's possible on the Axe FX or not (they do use the FCB1010 as well, not the Kemper board).

Would UNO still allow all of this, and would it make that much of a difference?

Thanks for the help!!!

Also... anyone have a decent acoustic sim patch for EMG's? My old Digitech RP1000 pulled off an amazing acoustic sim, but I just can't get it a great sounding acoustic tone with the fractal, only mediocre.

Changing scenes without preset mapping may not be possible without the UNO or Eureka chips (not sure). Preset mapping will work, but it's not very flexible if you have may presets.

If you need to change Amps with scenes, use two amp blocks - X/Y in amps causes an audio dropout. Put both amps in parallel and set Bypass Mode to Mute.

Changing scenes without preset mapping may not be possible without the UNO or Eureka chips (not sure). Preset mapping will work, but it's not very flexible if you have may presets.

If you need to change Amps with scenes, use two amp blocks - X/Y in amps causes an audio dropout. Put both amps in parallel and set Bypass Mode to Mute.

I can change scenes with the stock chip... That's part of what I don't want to lose by switching to UNO.

My understanding is that I'm limited to 2 amp blocks, both of which are already in use. I'm running 2 separate rigs on one axe fx, myself and my co guitarist simultaneously.

I can change scenes with the stock chip... That's part of what I don't want to lose by switching to UNO.

My understanding is that I'm limited to 2 amp blocks, both of which are already in use. I'm running 2 separate rigs on one axe fx, myself and my co guitarist simultaneously.
You can definitely change scenes with the UNO...

If you are running two separate rigs, you're pretty much out of luck if you want seamless switching. Using X/Y changes for amp will have a gap. Probably less than a preset change, though.

Back
Top Bottom