[implemented] Axe-Edit Meters?

moshwitz

Inspired
Sup? ;-)

Is it possible to implement a meters page like on the front panel for visual help when gain staging a preset? or has this been ruled out at some point? or am I just missing it....lol

Thanks
MOSHON
Dave

There are a few places to get meters in the editor.

Are you wanting something that resembles the Layout meter page on the hardware to show all of the inputs and outputs at one time?

I'm not sure how much value there is in gain-staging an Axe-Fx preset. The internal dynamic range is so insanely huge that internal noise and headroom will pretty much never be an issue.

There are a few places to get meters in the editor.

Are you wanting something that resembles the Layout meter page on the hardware to show all of the inputs and outputs at one time?
Yes,,, Like the Meters page of the Layout.

The only meters that matter are the ones on the dynamic blocks like the gates and compressors, and those already have nice meters in AxeEdit. Output level is important, but when connected to a computer, use your DAW to meter that. Almost any DAW already has an excellent set of meters for that purpose and when recording you’re already connected to it.

I want to know how hot each block is going into the next block when setting up a preset. I use the meter page on front panel for this like it was intended,,just thought it would be easier if I could see it in Axe-edit also. All meters matter... ;-)

MOSHON
DAVE

The only meters that matter are the ones on the dynamic blocks like the gates and compressors, and those already have nice meters in AxeEdit. Output level is important, but when connected to a computer, use your DAW to meter that. Almost any DAW already has an excellent set of meters for that purpose and when recording you’re already connected to it.
This.

Where levels are important is at the input and the output. There, the dynamic range is 114 dB. That's really quite impressive, but internally, the Axe-Fx has a dynamic range of nearly 1400 dB. So if you're going to run into clipping or noise, it'll be at the input and output. Those meters are already there in Axe-Edit.

I want to know how hot each block is going into the next block when setting up a preset. I use the meter page on front panel for this like it was intended,,just thought it would be easier if I could see it in Axe-edit also. All meters matter... ;-)

MOSHON
DAVE
I've never used the Meters page to dial in a preset. Those meters are tiny and crude — not well suited to actually measuring levels. They're more for troubleshooting, as in "My preset is silent. Which block isn't passing signal?"

With my old Roland GP-100, I cared a lot about internal signal levels; each block could potentially cause clipping in the next block. But in three generations of Fractal gear over a ten-year period, I've never had that issue.

Some meters matter more. :)

This has been asked for many times. I hate going back and forth to the Output block to check levels. Here's my proposal......View attachment 68204
Love this idea. Or even a scaled down version, where we could pick and choose say 4 blocks to monitor at once... for example we could always have Out 1, and then right click to check others as needed. But this way the info is always visible and we don't have to keep clicking back and forth.

Most DAWs have level meters for every track, bus, effect, master bus, in every view - mixer, sequencer, etc. This would be so useful here too.

Well, there are also the meters on the edit page of the Output blocks. I use those all the time.

You edited out my comment where I said metering the output is important :). I use the output block meter too.

In general though, it's best to use meters in your DAW instead of AxeEdit output blocks. The input meters on any DAW will have better meters than can reasonably expected from the AxeEdit output block meter, which after all, doesn't pass audio. The meters in a DAW will be larger, more detailed, offer hysteresis, cresting, peaking, decay, scaling options, LUFS, overload indicators, true peak, phase, etc. So, while it's important to meter output and the AxeEdit can be used for this purpose, it's usually better to use your DAW.

I'd like +1 to this idea for IEM mix purposes. I use the Axe-FX as a mixer for what goes to our IEMs (guitar, pre-processed bass, drums, backing tracks, vocals) and it would be nice to have more of a "one stop shop" for identifying the levels coming in and going out. This would just help with gain staging everything from various sources.

Optimally this would be I'd like a single page that has all of the input and output levels (with both numeric and meters). For streamlining purposes, having the level knobs underneath would be nice. More advanced controls could stay with the Input/Output blocks.

+1, this would be a useful feature for everyone who edits/builds presets without having the device display in view range.

+1, this would be a useful feature for everyone who edits/builds presets without having the device display in view range.
If you're editing presets with the device out of range, presumably you're using a computer. In that case, use any DAW for the output meters. Almost any DAW will have better meters than can reasonably expected from the AxeEdit output block meter anyway, which after all, doesn't pass audio.

The meters in a DAW will be larger, more detailed, offer hysteresis, cresting, peaking, decay, scaling options, LUFS, overload indicators, true peak, phase, etc. The output meters on the AxeFX itself can be used in a pinch when you're not connected to a computer, but otherwise you'll be a lot better off using the meters in a DAW.

I ran into an odd issue yesterday where I’d have found it very useful to have block-level data available along the lines of what @sixtystring mentioned (numeric value would be most useful). I had three scenes that were setup earlier and I was having some trouble understanding why one was substantially quieter. If it had been a pedal board and amp in real life, I’d have taken measurements with my multimeter. I’d love to see that the same value was going into a specific block, across the scenes, and a larger/smaller value on the output of the following block, allowing me to focus in on the issue. I’m sure some don’t work in this manner, but we could have a selection in AE preferences to have it display for whomever needed it.
Cheers,
Lee

I ran into an odd issue yesterday where I’d have found it very useful to have block-level data available along the lines of what @sixtystring mentioned (numeric value would be most useful). I had three scenes that were setup earlier and I was having some trouble understanding why one was substantially quieter. If it had been a pedal board and amp in real life, I’d have taken measurements with my multimeter. I’d love to see that the same value was going into a specific block, across the scenes, and a larger/smaller value on the output of the following block, allowing me to focus in on the issue. I’m sure some don’t work in this manner, but we could have a selection in AE preferences to have it display for whomever needed it.
Cheers,
Lee
Layout > Meters on the hardware. You can spot level discrepancies pretty quickly.

It would be nice to have that in the editor, too, if the bandwidth is there.

Back
Top Bottom