Axe-Edit "loses" my preset names

jyflorida

Power User
I recently had my Axe III replaced. The problem I'm having now is after I power on, from the outset I see my presets but after a minute or two, I see the factory preset names even though I restored my presets when I hooked the new unit up. It does load MY preset if I click on one of the incorrect names. I then need to go into Settings and manually refresh.

Same with the user cabs - the window shows them all empty. I have to go into settings and refresh everything manually.

I didn't have this happen with the original unit. In the Options, I checked the "Read the Preset names" and "Read the User Cab names" to get around this but as I said, I didn't have this problem with the original unit. I'm willing to bet this is "pilot error" more than anything else - wondering if I've got something set wrong in the Axe or in the editor.

Ah, good. Sounds on the surface like your AF3 is ok. What type computer are you using? It almost sounds like Axe-Edit is refreshing from a cached image on the computer, as the original presets sound like they are no longer on your AF3, if I'm reading your original post.

When you wrote about "Read the Preset names", is this the "Read the Preset names at startup" in Options section, or the "Preset names" and "Cab names" buttons on the Refresh section in Preferences? I'm pretty sure you meant the Options section choices, but just trying to make sense of this, or help others pinpoint if I cannot.
Lee

Ah, good. Sounds on the surface like your AF3 is ok. What type computer are you using? It almost sounds like Axe-Edit is refreshing from a cached image on the computer, as the original presets sound like they are no longer on your AF3, if I'm reading your original post.

When you wrote about "Read the Preset names", is this the "Read the Preset names at startup" in Options section, or the "Preset names" and "Cab names" buttons on the Refresh section in Preferences? I'm pretty sure you meant the Options section choices, but just trying to make sense of this, or help others pinpoint if I cannot.
Lee
It's the checkboxes in the Options section. Before I did this, I'd have to click the Refresh buttons to put things back to rights shortly after each power-up.

I kept thinking about this last night and like you, I'm having a hard time trying to figure this one out. You may have already done the following, and I'm grasping a bit, but I'd try swapping my USB cable out, since thats the only way the computer (and AE) can see and get data from the AF3. If you don't have another new cable, possibly grab one from your printer, as most come with an A to B USB cable. Also would test any other USB ports on the computer. If none of these make a difference, test with another computer. Minus any of these restoring normal operations, I'd be touching base with Fractal Support. I hope one of these might help you get everything working again. Cheers, Lee

Thanks Lee, I appreciate the suggestions. I did swap cables late last night but no go. I'm wondering if Axe Edit caches certain information either on the hard drive or in memory & that just needs to be cleared.

Barring that, the only thing I haven't tried - which I will this evening - is the tried-and-true uninstall/reinstall of AxeEdit.

Yeah, the caching element sure feels somewhat at play. I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around the how/why of it changing after a somewhat short period of time. You're right about doing a fresh install of AE, as things can get borked for sure. And I'm going to ask the age old IT question, you have rebooted your computer, right? ;) (in my working years, I wrote code at times, but also had IT related responsibilities for a couple hundred good folks, and that was regularly my first question)
Best of luck. Lee

Yeah, the caching element sure feels somewhat at play. I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around the how/why of it changing after a somewhat short period of time. You're right about doing a fresh install of AE, as things can get borked for sure. And I'm going to ask the age old IT question, you have rebooted your computer, right? ;) (in my working years, I wrote code at times, but also had IT related responsibilities for a couple hundred good folks, and that was regularly my first question)
Best of luck. Lee
Definitely rebooted. Yeah, I've been in the IT field since 1983 & have spent the last 15 years in SW development. Sometimes the best way to solve problems is to apply Occhem's Razor! :)

If it helps to the discussion, I'm having an issue where with some custom bought presets I can't get them to load into the Axe3 (Mark II, using MacOS and latest FW, as well as latest Axe-Edit version). Some presets will load fine (and also others from AxeChange), but some specific ones I can't get them to load into empty preset slots (have not tried into already filled slots).

Have you tried using the “Import Preset” choice under the “preset” menu, while on a blank preset?

@jyflorida Would you mind sharing your results on the Axe-Edit reload? I kinda like to log it away for the future, as others may also.
Cheers,
Lee

It will definitely be a clean installation - lost a hard drive the other day. It's an old computer so I'm replacing it today. As soon as I get the thing configured the way I want, I'll put Axe Edit on & see what happens. I'll be more than happy to share the results!

Back
Top Bottom