Axe-Edit Layout Inconsistency

Does the High Cut in Axe-Edit control the Presence on the unit?

See this in my previous post:
Thx, no I just tried that again. The Hi-Cut on the Tone tab on the Axe unit moves the Hi-Cut tone knob on both the Tone and Ideal tabs in Axe-Edit. The Presence knob under the Advanced tab on the Axe doesn't move anything in Axe-Edit. I moved this knob while looking at every tab in Axe-Edit and nothing moves with it.

I'm in AC-30 model. In the Advanced tab there is a Presence control under Tone and Gain. It goes from 0 and 10 and it works. But no knobs in Axe-Edit turn with it. Either it shouldn't be in the AC-30 model or it should be added to Axe-Edit.
The AC-30 isn't supposed to have a 'Presence' parameter?

But Axe-Edit also has a 'Presence Frequency' Parameter?

The High Cut knob on the Axe on the Tone tab moves the High Cut knobs on Tone and Ideal tabs on Axe-Edit. The Presence knob on the Advanced tab on the Axe unit does not move any knob in Axe-Edit. I moved it while watching every tab in Axe-Edit. Nothing moves. Either the Axe AC-30 model should have the Presence removed, or it should be added to Axe-Edit (maybe replace the High-Cut on the Ideal tab which is a duplicate of the one on the Tone tab).

The AC-30 isn't supposed to have a 'Presence' parameter?

But Axe-Edit also has a 'Presence Frequency' Parameter?
Yes, the Axe and Axe-Edit have a Presence Frequency knob and that is working. It's in Advanced on the unit and on the Power Amp tab in Axe-Edit.
If the AC-30 doesn't have a "Presence" knob, then maybe it should be removed in the Axe unit model in the advanced section under Tone and Gain.

Yes, the Axe and Axe-Edit have a Presence Frequency knob and that is working. It's in Advanced on the unit and on the Power Amp tab in Axe-Edit.
If the AC-30 doesn't have one, then maybe it should be removed in the Axe unit model.
Not sure if that is an oversite or a feature? There are many times that I would like to use a non-native parameter on some models. But they seem to have been deactivated some where along the way, even though they are still in the Axe-Edit 'Ideal' tab?

Does the Presence parameter on the hardware seem to work on that model? But the Presence Frequency parameter doesn't?

Just because the knob is there doesn't mean it actually does anything. The Cathode Follower section of the Power Amp tab in Axe Edit is always there, but none of those controls do anything on amps that don't have a Cathode Follower (blackface Fenders, Boogie Mark series amps, etc.)

Just because the knob is there doesn't mean it actually does anything. The Cathode Follower section of the Power Amp tab in Axe Edit is always there, but none of those controls do anything on amps that don't have a Cathode Follower (blackface Fenders, Boogie Mark series amps, etc.)
It would be great if they were removed from the models on the hardware (if not already?) And the Editor could gray the missing parameters out or something.

It can get confusing trying to remember all of this. And wasting a bunch of time wondering why it isn't sounding like what you expect.

I'm in AC-30 model. In the Advanced tab there is a Presence control under Tone and Gain. It goes from 0 and 10 and it works. But no knobs in Axe-Edit turn with it. Either it shouldn't be in the AC-30 model or it should be added to Axe-Edit.
I'm guessing you mean the Class-A 30W model. That's a model of the AC-30, an amp that doesn't have a negative feedback loop. The Presence control of a tube amp is implemented in the amp's negative feedback loop. So there is no place in the AC-30's circuit for a Presence control.

I'm guessing you mean the Class-A 30W model. That's a model of the AC-30, an amp that doesn't have a negative feedback loop. The Presence control of a tube amp is implemented in the amp's negative feedback loop. So there is no place in the AC-30's circuit for a Presence control.
So the control shouldn't be there for that model, or it should be disabled.

Reactions: Rex
@Axeman @mr_fender @Rex @Dave Merrill

Are you forgetting that when turning Neg FB above 0 this enables Presence and the High Cut dial in the Axe becomes Presence? The value in the Advanced tab appears to be the value set when Neg FB > 0. Presence in the adv tab might be confusing when not enabled, but I had never noticed it.

I'm only talking about front panel behavior, and can't speak to AE wrt this.

Reactions: Rex
If the AC-30 doesn't have a "Presence" knob, then maybe it should be removed in the Axe unit model in the advanced section under Tone and Gain.

I'm following this interesting thread, but I don't think you've yet responded to the post that mentioned that you are indeed NOT running the latest versions. The Axe firmware is up to 20.05 Beta and AxeEdit is up to 1.12.08. Might be worth updating to those and seeing if your original post still applies?

Are you forgetting that when turning Neg FB above 0 this enables Presence and the High Cut dial in the Axe becomes Presence?
Good call, but nope. The Presence knob appears and disappears appropriately in both the front panel and the editor, depending on where Negative Feedback is set.

The value in the Advanced tab appears to be the value set when Neg FB > 0. Presence in the adv tab might be confusing when not enabled, but I had never noticed it.
You have a point.

Back
Top Bottom