Axe-Edit Layout Inconsistency

Axeman

Experienced
I'm catching up on the latest firmware for Axe-Edit and the Axe. Apologies if this has been explained, but I can't find an answer. Why do the tabs in Axe-Edit not match the tabs on the Axe? I like to use both and I would prefer consistency.

Just one example of the confusion:

On the Axe tabs -

The Speaker tab has "Speaker Compression" but NOT "Speaker Time Constant."
The Dynamics tab has "Speaker Compression" AND also "Speaker Time Constant."

I would think that a parameter called "Speaker Time Constant" would be on the Speaker tab. So one parameter is on two tabs and one that is related to the speaker is on the dynamics tab. The speaker tab on the Axe is a scrolling list, so I don't see why the Speaker Time Constant isn't on that tab.

And it gets more confusing when I switch to Axe-Edit:

On Axe-Edit neither "Speaker Compression" or "Speaker Time Constant" are on the Dynamics tab (doh!), but they are on the Speaker tab which makes sense. I can't follow the logic. On the Axe, speaker parameters have to do with Dynamics but on Edit they have nothing to do with Dynamics.

Also on the Axe Speaker tab "Transformer Drive" is last on the scrolling list, but it's NOT on the Power Amp tab. BUT "Transformer Drive" is NOT on the Speaker tab in Axe-Edit but it is on the Power Amp tab in Axe-Edit.

There are other examples.

Found another mismatch...

Under the Advanced tab on the Axe under Tone & Gain there is a setting called "Presence." I can't find this in Axe-Edit. This is different than "Presence Frequency" which is under Power Amp in Axe-Edit and under Advanced (Power Amp) in the Axe unit.

Under the Axe Advanced menu there is a parameter called Output Mode. I can't find this is Axe-Edit.

Can someone please explain the logic here?

They just don't... A computer screen has a lot more room and flexibility compared to the Axe Fx.

Also, you say "latest"... But it's best to list the specific versions.

And have you done "Refresh After Firmware Update"?
Yes. Being up to date on Edit versions and their associated firmware is extremely important. Parameter names change over time as the functionality of the controls changes, which they have.

Running the associated version of the editor for the firmware, and refreshing the firmware settings are also really important. That's how the editor knows what the firmware uses.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I always run the recent version of both. I updated the most recent version on both at the same time.

Can someone confirm for me that these two parameters are not available in Axe-Edit:

1 - Under the Advanced tab on the Axe under Tone & Gain there is a setting called "Presence." I can't find this in Axe-Edit. This is different than "Presence Frequency" which is under Power Amp in Axe-Edit and under Advanced (Power Amp) in the Axe unit.

2 - Under the Axe Advanced menu there is a parameter called Output Mode. I can't find this is Axe-Edit.

I always run the recent version of both.
It's still a good idea to respond with the actual version you're running. I can't count the number of times "I'm running the most recent version" turns into "No, you're not running the most recent version," once they report the actual version number.

Can someone confirm for me that these two parameters are not available in Axe-Edit:

1 - Under the Advanced tab on the Axe under Tone & Gain there is a setting called "Presence."

1664597024284.png

2 - Under the Axe Advanced menu there is a parameter called Output Mode. I can't find this is Axe-Edit.

1664597331875.png

Last edited:
It's still a good idea to respond with the actual version you're running. I can't count the number of times "I'm running the most recent version" turns into "No, you're not running the most recent version," once they report the actual version number.
Exactly!

Plus when someone reads this thread in two years, "most recent" has lost all meaning.
Yes. One of the best parts of the internet are those people who immediately assume that a page they just read was current and accurate so they quote it ad naseum, even though the page’s published date was 10 years ago and it had been refuted repeatedly.

The internet never forgets.

Reactions: Rex
Apologies for not posting the versions, but don't assume I wasn't running the latest either. I'm running v20.04 on the firmware and 1.12.07 on Axe-Edit which are the latest on the support page.

View attachment 109243

View attachment 109245

I posted them in a separate reply (20.04 and 1.12.07). Thank you for above. Not sure how I missed the Output Mode (my bad - late night brain issue I guess). But I don't have "presence" in your first screen shot. I have "High Cut." Maybe this changes with another setting?

I just tested this. It's not the same.

Seems "Hi-Cut" on the Axe unit is on the Tone tab. In Axe-Edit it's on the Tone and Ideal page. I still can't find Presence on Axe-Edit.

Maybe there is a mistake, and the "Hi-Cut" on the Ideal tab in Axe-Edit should be "Presence."

Last edited:
Apologies for not posting the versions, but don't assume I wasn't running the latest either. I'm running v20.04 on the firmware and 1.12.07 on Axe-Edit which are the latest on the support page.
Proving @Rex 's point... There is a newer beta version (20.05) as well as a new Axe-Edit version (1.12.08) available. Both have new changes and altered parameters (and possible bugs?). This is why it is always important to post the versions that you are using.

I posted them in a separate reply (20.04 and 1.12.07). Thank you for above. Not sure how I missed the Output Mode (my bad - late night brain issue I guess). But I don't have "presence" in your first screen shot. I have "High Cut." Maybe this changes with another setting?
Some amps have High Cut and some have Presence...

If you see one on the unit and different one in the editor then that could be a bug.

We weren't assuming, but you were asking us to assume you were correct. As has been seen repeatedly (and as mentioned above), many times that is not the case... Providing the specific versions eliminates any assumption ;)

You never responded to this:

And have you done "Refresh After Firmware Update"?

I just went through each tab in Axe-Edit and when I turn the "Presence" knob in Advanced (under Tone and Gain), and no knobs change on any other Axe-Edit Tabs.

We weren't assuming, but you were asking us to assume you were correct. As has been seen repeatedly (and as mentioned above), many times that is not the case... Providing the specific versions eliminates any assumption ;)

You never responded to this:
Yes, it did one automatically and when it doesn't, I always refresh. I appreciate you asking. I'm not trying to be a pain. I've had an Axe since the very first unit released. I do try to fix things myself before posting. I'm far from perfect for sure. I really do think I found a bug. There is no Presence knob working on Axe-Edit. See my other post. And I just refreshed again and still no Presence know in Axe-Edit.

Not all amps have a Presence control. When you set Negative Feedback all the way to zero, the Presence control becomes a High Cut control like on the Vox AC15 and AC30 models.

Not all amps have a Presence control.
I'm in AC-30 model. In the Advanced tab there is a Presence control under Tone and Gain. It goes from 0 and 10 and it works. But no knobs in Axe-Edit turn with it. Either it shouldn't be in the AC-30 model or it should be added to Axe-Edit.

I'm in AC-30 model. In the Advanced tab there is a Presence control under Tone and Gain. It goes from 0 and 10 and it works. But no knobs in Axe-Edit turn with it.
Does the High Cut in Axe-Edit control the Presence on the unit?

See this in my previous post:

Some amps have High Cut and some have Presence...

If you see one on the unit and different one in the editor then that could be a bug.

Back
Top Bottom