Axe-Edit III 1.08.14

I’m on 16.01. I saved an amp block via axeedit from one of my presets. When I recalled it in a different preset, the correct amp showed up, but it had all default settings (bass, mid, treble) at at noon/5. Anyone else notice this?

I’m on 16.01. I saved an amp block via axeedit from one of my presets. When I recalled it in a different preset, the correct amp showed up, but it had all default settings (bass, mid, treble) at at noon/5. Anyone else notice this?
Did you update Axe-Exit and do Settings>Refresh after new FW and reset and adjust your Cab blocks?

Yes on fw refresh. I’ve never reset a cab block and not sure what you mean exactly about adjusting the cab blocks. It was an amp block that did this. Did I miss a step?
Yes, most likely you missed a step.

The Cygnus firmware has major changes to the cab block - that's its whole reason for existence.

I recommend opening the preset, exporting it, then using the Snapshot tool to take a snapshot. Next, open the Preset Manager and right click the preset and select the bottom entry for "Reset AMP blocks". Axe-Edit will iterate through each channel in the Amp block and adjust the settings to the new defaults, then save the preset.

When you return to the preset view immediately make another snapshot using the Snapshot tool.

Now you can tweak the cab and revert to the old settings or the "reset" settings. Take more snapshots as you go so you can revert to the various changes you make.

If you don't like a change you can revert to a previously saved Snapshot, or just reload or reimport the preset.

When it's sounding how you want save the preset and move on.

We're all having to do this with some presets, depending on how deeply they were tweaked from the defaults in the cab block. It's just what must happen because the underlying code and preset defaults changed. I've found I needed to switch cabs occasionally because they make a major difference to the sound, but overall I'm really happy with the results.

Last edited:
Unrelated question but relevant to the thread: every time I update AxeEdit, then fire it up, it reconnects with my AxeFx3 and goes through the whole reading of presets, cabs, parameters, etc etc, which takes a minute or so. After that it works instantly and perfectly.

Then, if I update the AxeFx firmware (like I just did to update to 16.01), reboot the Axe, and AxeEdit goes through that whole process again when it reconnects with the newly updated AxeFx. Excellent.

So WHY do I then need to do the "Refresh after New Firmware" thing? Didn't AxeEdit just do that on its own? If I do click on that item, it does exactly the same thing - reads all the blocks, presets, cabs, effects, etc etc - exactly the same as it does on its own.

So with AxeEdit appearing to do the "Refresh after New Firmware" thing automatically now, is there actually any need for me to do it manually, as long as I've updated AxeEdit before updating the Axe firmware?

Am I missing something here?

Unrelated question but relevant to the thread: every time I update AxeEdit, then fire it up, it reconnects with my AxeFx3 and goes through the whole reading of presets, cabs, parameters, etc etc, which takes a minute or so. After that it works instantly and perfectly.

Then, if I update the AxeFx firmware (like I just did to update to 16.01), reboot the Axe, and AxeEdit goes through that whole process again when it reconnects with the newly updated AxeFx. Excellent.

So WHY do I then need to do the "Refresh after New Firmware" thing? Didn't AxeEdit just do that on its own? If I do click on that item, it does exactly the same thing - reads all the blocks, presets, cabs, effects, etc etc - exactly the same as it does on its own.

So with AxeEdit appearing to do the "Refresh after New Firmware" thing automatically now, is there actually any need for me to do it manually, as long as I've updated AxeEdit before updating the Axe firmware?

It's something I've wondered about also. I suspect there's a ghost in the machine that we're exorcising through ritual.

Axe-Edit should see that the firmware has changed when the embedded Fractal-Bot has updated/changed the firmware and immediately refresh and then be done with it. Similarly, Axe-Edit should be able to tell that the current firmware isn't what was last seen and immediately refresh when the external Fractal-Bot updated the firmware. But there's some weird juju going on that needs to be sorted out.

It's something I've wondered about also. I suspect there's a ghost in the machine that we're exorcising through ritual.
Maybe the act of clicking on the item deliberately invokes the cosmic moonbeam filter? That way, all previous memory is wiped and only anterograde memories get stored. Oh, hang on.... that's me after a wine. ;)

“Refresh After New Firmware” isn’t the same thing as reading preset names and cab names. New firmware can change the way blocks — and their parameters —are defined. Refresh After New Firmware is how the editor reads those new definitions from the firmware, so it knows how to present those parameters to you.

For most people, Refresh After New Firmware happens automatically when new firmware is installed. But if you’ve been running beta versions, the actual firmware number doesn’t change for you with the final release; if you were running firmware 5.6.7 beta, you’re still running 5.6.7 when you load the final release version, so you have to tell the editor to Refresh.

It’s a preferences setting you can switch off. In the release notes history you can find a reference to this. (can’t remember which firmware update it was - somewhere in 14 range comes first in mind)

Using 16.01 with Axe Edit 1.08.14 on jumped Marshall Plexis on the ideal page it shows drive and overdrive instead treble drive and normal drive like on the authentic page.

When you change the treble drive knob on the authentic page it changes the drive knob on the ideal page, and when you change the normal drive knob on the authentic page it changes the overdrive knob on the ideal page, but the fact that the same knobs are labeled differently on the authentic and ideal pages is confusing. The knob on the ideal page labeled overdrive is actually the knob turning up the normal channel. It should not be labeled overdrive.

On the ideal page the drive should be named treble drive and the overdrive should be named normal drive like they are on the authentic page. They are the exact same knobs so they should not be named differently.

I don't know if this is a bug, but when I am auto-auditioning presets in Preset Manage (the new Factory presets specifically) Axe Edit randomly switches to the Cab Manager. Using version 1.08.14 and Axe f/w 16.02. I have not noticed it doing that previously.

I don't know if this is a bug, but when I am auto-auditioning presets in Preset Manage (the new Factory presets specifically) Axe Edit randomly switches to the Cab Manager. Using version 1.08.14 and Axe f/w 16.02. I have not noticed it doing that previously.
I have been unable to reproduce this from previous reports. Do you happen to have repeatable steps? I'd sure love to fix it!

Happened to me too yesterday, while AE was saving a lot of changes in Manage preset. AE switched to Manage Cabs during the operation, without any action from outside I (so I can't reproduce). The Save operation completed fine.

I have been unable to reproduce this from previous reports. Do you happen to have repeatable steps? I'd sure love to fix it!
I have seen the manager window switch from preset to cab manager in past iterations of AxeEdit, like a year or more ago, when something went awry. Have not seen it lately, but it seems to be an ongoing error result for a while now for various things that crash the manager somehow.

Also noticed the displayed knobs in the Authentic view of the updated Delux Tweed model don't match the hardware UI. There is an extra Presence knob that is not there on the amp or AxeFXhardware.

@Michael Pickens

I was just able to re-create the same issue. I am on 1.08.14 running on a MacMini M1 AxeFX3 on 16.02 . I opened the Tools menu in AE and chose Manage Presets. I had my cursor on an empty slot in the my Mark 2 (782), I had Auto-Audition selected, and chose my Download folder as the source to review some presets. I made it to about the sixth preset, and the screen changed to the Cab Manager. I just went back and tried a second time, and got the same results. And it was the same preset in my Download folder, Grissom.syx (included), where the error occurred. Hope this might enlighten.
Cheers,
Lee

Attachments

• Grissom.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I have seen the manager window switch from preset to cab manager in past iterations of AxeEdit, like a year or more ago, when something went awry. Have not seen it lately, but it seems to be an ongoing error result for a while now for various things that crash the manager somehow.
I have had the same problem for a year or so. When i move presets and save, sometimes the procedure stops, and cab-manager appears, with a question, if i really wanna stop the operation. No matter if i press yes or no, i will have to go back and redo the operation, although some of the presets might be moved- and others not.

Back
Top Bottom