Axe-Edit III 1.08.14

I have had the same problem for a year or so. When i move presets and save, sometimes the procedure stops, and cab-manager appears, with a question, if i really wanna stop the operation. No matter if i press yes or no, i will have to go back and redo the operation, although some of the presets might be moved- and others not.
I had that happen a couple times last year or thereabouts. Thankfully, I back up fairly often, and was able to restore any presets that went missing....

I have seen the manager window switch from preset to cab manager in past iterations of AxeEdit, like a year or more ago, when something went awry. Have not seen it lately, but it seems to be an ongoing error result for a while now for various things that crash the manager somehow.
Yesterday I used the preset manager to clear out all my personal presets, making way for new Cygnus 16.02 stuff I haven't built yet.
That was everything except the first three banks where I have the new factory presets.
It takes a while to run, looks like it loads each individual preset, then zeroes out its settings individually.

Partway through, it switched to the cab manager.
I was a little freaked out, because it was in the middle of a destructive bulk operation at the time!

But on the unit, I could still see each preset load up, get cleared and saved.
It completed just fine, in spite Axe-Edit not being on the screen that was doing it any more.

@Michael Pickens, you could maybe try that scenario, see if it does it for you.
I didn't try to repeat it myself :)

OT: There's got to be a more efficient way to clear a preset.
a) It doesn't need to load the existing settings first.
b) I'm not sure if it's actually iterating through each setting or not, but ideally, it'd just have an 'empty preset' template it could just copy to each location you're clearing.

I guess this isn't something people do all the time, so optimizing it may not matter much, but when you do do it, it's much slower than I would have guessed.

I have been unable to reproduce this from previous reports. Do you happen to have repeatable steps? I'd sure love to fix it!
steps to reproduce (tried it 3 times) with latest Axe-Edit on win10 and FW16..02:
1. open preset manager
2. load bank B of the latest factory presets into browser
3. load 2nd preset "Vibrato VB" by double clicking it
4. load 3rd preset "Electro-Sweep" by double clicking it --> cab manager screen comes up
see zipped video

Attachments

• axe-edit.avi.zip
    2 MB · Views: 3
OT: There's got to be a more efficient way to clear a preset.
a) It doesn't need to load the existing settings first.
b) I'm not sure if it's actually iterating through each setting or not, but ideally, it'd just have an 'empty preset' template it could just copy to each location you're clearing.

I guess this isn't something people do all the time, so optimizing it may not matter much, but when you do do it, it's much slower than I would have guessed.
Might be related to the known behavior of backups using FractalBot, wherein it goes faster if you are parked on an empty preset....

Maybe, thought of that, but how does that work when the way it clears all presets is to load each one first?
It loads the preset because it has to change to the preset slot to change it.

When you change presets, the new one always loads. It's just how it works.

It loads the preset because it has to change to the preset slot to change it.

When you change presets, the new one always loads. It's just how it works.
Let me try a more reasonable answer.

All it actually needs to do is write a static preset template into a series of memory locations. Doesn't need to involve the display (other than maybe showing a progress bar). Doesn't need to read what's in that location first, or do any of the pre-calculations it would do if it was going to make sound, either from the previous contents of the preset or the new blank one.

Should be a breeze. Says the kibitzer who actually no knows nothing of the relevant internals...

Last edited:
Let me try a more reasonable answer.

All it actually needs to do is write a static preset template into a series of memory locations. Doesn't need to involve the display (other than maybe showing a progress bar). Doesn't need to read what's in that location first, or do any of the pre-calculations it would do if it was going to make sound, either from the previous contents of the preset or the new blank one.

Should be a breeze. Says the kibitzer who actually no knows nothing of the relevant internals...
Sounds easy from the arm-chair! ;)

If that was all that was required, I suspect it would be done that way.

But I also just realized you're talking more specifically about deleting presets...

I seem to recall there's a way to do that - but I think it's a "delete all", and probably not what you want?

Sounds easy from the arm-chair! ;)

If that was all that was required, I suspect it would be done that way.

But I also just realized you're talking more specifically about deleting presets...

I seem to recall there's a way to do that - but I think it's a "delete all", and probably not what you want?
No, it wasn't, but now that you mention it, I could have done that, then loaded the new factory presets in after, but I didn't think of that.

I also didn't know I wanted to start over completely until I heard the new factory stuff and realized that with Cygnus I could do better than I had before.

That said, the under-the-hood operations for clearing a preset maybe could be optimized some, but it's not that big a deal and I'll shut up now :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom