Not a Bug Axe-Edit III 1.05.11 Macbook Pro CPU and Fan Noise

Need more specs about your machine. I don't have this issue on my MBP.

How much free disk space do you have?
If you close as many programs as possible, do you still have the issue? Specifically close chrome, your IDE, anything that hooks into finder.
Do you have the same issue when not connected to external monitor?
I provided all these information in the other thread, for debugging purpose, and more :)
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...1-macbook-pro-cpu-and-fan-noise.161230/page-2
1589308839153.png

Disk space is no issue:
1589308907797.png

2018+ models are notorious for horrible fan curves. Apple would rather your computer overheat than make a bit of noise. I use iStats menu to have my own fan curves so my fans don't go from 0-100 literally. I would recommend looking it up, there is a trial, even if just to see what your fans are doing. Obviously, make sure they are clean and unobstructed. Set some fan speeds in 15 degree increments.

2018+ models are notorious for horrible fan curves. Apple would rather your computer overheat than make a bit of noise. I use iStats menu to have my own fan curves so my fans don't go from 0-100 literally. I would recommend looking it up, there is a trial, even if just to see what your fans are doing. Obviously, make sure they are clean and unobstructed. Set some fan speeds in 15 degree increments.
Thanks, that's a very gross generalization about Macbook Pro which muddies the problem and is just not true... I don't believe its problem of the fan of macbook pro, I do not have this issue with any other programs, including some heavy ones. This problem is quite specific to Axe III Edit.

I hope the devs/engineers have some profiling tool to do some CPU sampling, which hopefully reveal the hotspot quite readily...

Its not a generalization, or untrue... its just a fact. Most models have a single fan and the fan curves are tuned for noise instead of heat. Had the same problem with my 2019 MBP. Regardless, if its seriously just a single program that is causing this issue, see if a complete uninstall (remove plists, etc) helps, try to disable spotlight, clear SMC and NVRAM just in case

Thanks, that's a very gross generalization about Macbook Pro which muddies the problem and is just not true... I don't believe its problem of the fan of macbook pro, I do not have this issue with any other programs, including some heavy ones. This problem is quite specific to Axe III Edit.

I hope the devs/engineers have some profiling tool to do some CPU sampling, which hopefully reveal the hotspot quite readily...
You stated that you thought it might be excessive MIDI commands. Have you tried using a MIDI snooper such as the one below.
https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

I'm running mine right now, with the system monitor going and with Logic playing a project on at the same time. It's not using much resource in terms of CPU or memory.
What is a little interesting is that it does have quite an impact on the energy usage, being the highest energy user of the programs I have going, (Microsoft word, Chrome, Logic, AXE Edit, and Activity Monitor.)
My Macbook Pro is pretty solid until I hook up a second monitor. That always gets the fan running.... but AXE Edit doesn't seem to have much impact on it's performance. That said... this is a mid 2014 MacBook pro running High Sierra, so I'm not really in the same ballpark.

Please stop tagging us. I will check threads often and will see it and respond when I have time or something to say. Thank you.

Last edited:
Axe-Edit Cummings communicates with the Axe Fx over midi, so I'm not surprised.
"tons of msg" are expected, but do you generally observe the same msg throughput, e.g. 1 per 2 milli-second?

If yes, and you don't have the "hot fan" issue, the busy mid signal may not be the cause...

"tons of msg" are expected, but do you generally observe the same msg throughput, e.g. 1 per 2 milli-second?

If yes, and you don't have the "hot fan" issue, the busy mid signal may not be the cause...
Well... I don't have a Mac ;)

I can try running a midi monitor on my PC next time I'm in front of it.

Remember that Axe-Edit is a client application and I am pretty sure that it's using midi to keep itself "refreshed". So it may be normal.

Back
Top Bottom