Axe-Edit II version 3.14.6 on Linux with Wine: connection problems

axifist

Experienced
Hey Linux folks!

I haven't used Axe-Edit for quite a while, but now I wanted to make some changes. Unfortunately I receive several messages depending on what I'm doing:

2023-01-02-163713_1920x1080_scrot.png
2023-01-02-164517_1920x1080_scrot.png

2023-01-02-165236_1920x1080_scrot.png
With these issues it's very hard / impossible to use Axe-Edit.

I launch Axe-Edit with Wine with the following command:

Code:
WINEDLLOVERRIDES=dwrite=d wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Fractal\ Audio/Axe-Edit/Axe-Edit.exe
The dll overrides were necessary so Axe-Edit could save the preset on the Axe if I remember correctly.

I've also tried things without this, hence with a pure wine command:
Code:
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Fractal\ Audio/Axe-Edit/Axe-Edit.exe
Same result.

I've also completely wiped all of wine, meaning the whole ~/.wine directory. Didn't change anything.

What I can do most of the time is editing and saving presets, but e.g. uploading IRs doesn't work anymore, which is really bad news, because I need to upload some new IRs!!!

Wine has the version number 7.22

Are you Linux folks who still use the II having the same problem?
Any ideas?

Are other utilities like FractalBot, FracTool or FracPad also having this problem?

Or did you find a solution?

Hey man, thanks for your reply.

In fact I haven't tested it any further, because nowadays I don't need to change much on my setup. But I have my rig at home right now, I'll see what FactalBot, FracTool and FracPad say, in case they run fine on wine.

I also have a windows work laptop now, so I could use that as a failsafe.

Hey man, thanks for your reply.

In fact I haven't tested it any further, because nowadays I don't need to change much on my setup. But I have my rig at home right now, I'll see what FactalBot, FracTool and FracPad say, in case they run fine on wine.

I also have a windows work laptop now, so I could use that as a failsafe.
Hey Linux folks!

I haven't used Axe-Edit for quite a while, but now I wanted to make some changes. Unfortunately I receive several messages depending on what I'm doing:

View attachment 114333
View attachment 114334

View attachment 114335
With these issues it's very hard / impossible to use Axe-Edit.

I launch Axe-Edit with Wine with the following command:

Code:
WINEDLLOVERRIDES=dwrite=d wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Fractal\ Audio/Axe-Edit/Axe-Edit.exe
The dll overrides were necessary so Axe-Edit could save the preset on the Axe if I remember correctly.

I've also tried things without this, hence with a pure wine command:
Code:
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Fractal\ Audio/Axe-Edit/Axe-Edit.exe
Same result.

I've also completely wiped all of wine, meaning the whole ~/.wine directory. Didn't change anything.

What I can do most of the time is editing and saving presets, but e.g. uploading IRs doesn't work anymore, which is really bad news, because I need to upload some new IRs!!!

Wine has the version number 7.22

Are you Linux folks who still use the II having the same problem?
Any ideas?
Did you ever manage to figure out a fix for this? I'm having the same problem. AxeEdit loads fine, reads the block definitions and stuff with no issues too. The moment I click on a block the communication times out about 10 seconds later and hits me with one of those errors. It seems like an issue with one of the directions of communication.

Interestingly, if I click the amp block in AxeEdit, the front panel of the unit switches to the amp settings screen. Any block I click on has the unit respond by showing me the correct screen, but for some reason there's a communication issue that's causing this. Such strange behaviour.

Please let me know if you found a resolution for this. I'm dying to migrate my studio PC to Linux from Windows and this is the only thing standing in the way at the moment.

I had exactly the same issue. I am using cadence and catia for my audio setup. When I route the AxeFx2 to the wine environment via virtual cables everything is fine.

Interesting, thanks for that hint! As soon as I have my II at home again, I will test this.

Did you get any further with this? I'm having issues with timeout errors as well:

Screenshot from 2024-04-15 21-24-14.png

The JACK style Midi patching seems to be correct by default? I tried using Catia but that made no difference.

Screenshot from 2024-04-15 21-29-21.png

I'm running Linux Mint (which uses PulseAudio).

OK it turns out it's an issue in Wine since version 7. Lutris 6.21 seems to be the golden ticket.

I've set up a bottle in Bottles to use the lutris-6.21-6 as a runner, I had to disable DXVK and VKD3D but it seems to work great now.

I'll add here that the cursor fix seems to work too:

I'm only using Axe-FX II, but I just wanted to add to this that if your using Bottles (which is useful for Axe Edit "2" because it requires an older version of Wine, lutris-6.21-6 works well) you can do the same as what @JustALawnGnome7 suggested above for compiling and adding the library. Instead of changing the desktop entry, (which doesn't apply with Bottles) you can add
Code:
LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib64/libaxe-edit-cursor.so"
as a command line argument like so:

View attachment 138955

Hope this helps someone!

Unfortunately I spoke too soon. Even with overriding/disabling dwrite, I can't seem to get preset importing and exporting to work in Axe Edit. Fractal-Bot (an older version) seems to work for saving and loading presets so small mercies I guess!

Back
Top Bottom