axe edit freezes and...

unFILTERed

Power User
with the latest FW and axe edit i am having weird issues. axe edit freezes every couple of hours, or all of a sudden shows blank layout/all empty blocks with weird/random shunts...in the mean time axe fx is fine, sounds and works as it should. but closing axe edit and reopening does not work. it says smth like “communicating...” but won’t connect to axe fx unless i power off and on the unit.

add on: i am on mac Big Sur latest.

Last edited:
Similar problem here. On Win 10, Axe Edit only starts after fresh cycling power on/off AFXIII, becomes unresponsive after a few minutes. Will work fine until just stops. Won't change scenes, blocks, or switch presets. Yellow lines around scenes at top LH glow on clicking but don't respond. Ending and restarting won't restart Axe Edit. It lingers in the background visible in Task Manager using about 55MB of memory,0-3.3% CPU and must be manually ended. Will then restart, then stalls on "Please wait...Communicating" but will not communicate with AFXIII unless cycling power again. Axe Edit will now go through and review all blocks/cabs/etc, but sometimes gets hung up and won't go any further, but not stuck at the same place consistently. If It makes it to the end it ALWAYS gives a "Errors encountered while reading blocks..LOG file etc" I've tried The cable,USB drivers un/reinstall numerous times. I've noticed some peculiarities with the sound/settings of the presets too, but can't get far in quantifying why. Uninstalled and reinstalled older/newer/newest Axe Edits, firmware, back to v.15.01/ USB 1.08. The program I'm working on is simple but uses 2 amp blocks, but only uses about 37%.4 CPU. Also gettinjg error in Fractalbot trying to backup saying its "incompatible with firmware under 1.09" when ran by itself, but works when started from Axe Edit, but only if I'm quick before the freeze-up. AFX seems fine and works otherwise normally. Getting to my wits end! Any help would be profoundly and gratefully well received and appreciated!
Thanks!

Last edited:
here is a screen shot of the situation.

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 12.07.05 PM.png

and this is what happens/where it hangs when i close and reopen axe edit. only solution is restarting axe fx.
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 12.07.30 PM.png

this pops up after a time:
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 12.09.55 PM.png

Last edited:
same problem ,when i try to backup all presets wit axe bot in axe fx 3 all things go to heaven. and the computer
restarts. it freezes copleetely can't even make a screenshot any more. it starts to backup then at 4 % it hangs itself up

Yes, that is pretty much the same error I am getting. I can watch my "connection" notification connect and then disconnect ultimately failing.

Attachments

• InkedScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 12.07.05 PM_LI.jpg
    InkedScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 12.07.05 PM_LI.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
any suggestions from an @ ??????? to solve the problem. i just can't back up my presets any more .

i just found out this problem only happens if my rjm mastermind gt16 is connected to axe fx and when i run the axe edit in the same time. How about others having the same issue? Do you have an RJM or another midi contoller connected to axe fx?

posted also on RJM forum, maybe it is related to their software.

no just the fc 12 nothing else. got a mail from frac , corrupted presets ?????? how in hell is that possible ?? ,just backup 1 bank at the time. i will try that

no just the fc 12 nothing else. got a mail from frac , corrupted presets ?????? how in hell is that possible ?? ,just backup 1 bank at the time. i will try that
Corrupt presets can happen. For example, if you hit Save, then power down to soon. A backup can puke when it runs into a corrupt preset.

I have a bunch of midi going to/thru Axefx 3 with no issues, however spdif between Axe and Audio interface drops when my Mac goes into full sleep - I think this is a MacOS issue.

I changed the usb port and cable. Since couple of hours the issue did not happen. Could have been on my end!

I have a bunch of midi going to/thru Axefx 3 with no issues, however spdif between Axe and Audio interface drops when my Mac goes into full sleep - I think this is a MacOS issue.
I tend to think the same. I have a 2020 Mac Mini M1 with Big Sur, and my AF3 MkII w FC-6 the latest AF3 firmware & AE and would see the same issue. I changed my settings so it never goes to sleep, and I have only seen this issue one time since, and that seemed to be related to running out of RAM. Obviously this doesn’t answer anyone’s issues on a PC. Lee

I had a similar or the same behavior yesterday.
After about 3 hours break have the following situation after logging on to the Mac.
AXF-Edit shows in the grit only the white connection lines between the used blocks. All blocks are empty.
The connection to the FX3 is displayed as ok (green).
Changing the preset or scene in AXF-Edit has no effect.
Neither in AXF-Edit nor on the FX3.
Even closing and reopening AXF-Edit does not change anything.
Only a restart of the Mac Mini M1 solves the problem, or reconnect the USB cable.

Despite the fact that I have deactivated the sleep function of the Mac.

Probably this is due to the Rosetta2 emulation under which AXF-Edit runs?

Last edited:
Had mine hang up a few minutes ago too. I could click on blocks and see the different screens. Value fields for all parameters were blank. I could turn the knobs, but no values displayed. I couldn't change presets or scenes. No error messages. Still showed as connected. Unplugged USB and plugged it back in, all is fine again. Haven't had that happen in many months. Axe III and Axe Edit were running fine for several hours prior. Axe III FW 16.02 and Axe Edit 1.08.14 on Windows 10 x64 20H2

axe edit 3 didn't react anymore.i had to reinstall all the usb drivers . now it seems to work again. curious what's gonna happen next.:eek:

I've been having a similar issue the last 4 practice sessions. Every time we have practice about an hour or so into practice Axe Edit Freezes, but in my case it does something weird with the presets. When I switch presets, it's like it's on a different preset. Last night I was getting weird synth preset sounds, that didn't even exist in the preset I had loaded.

Also, I noticed, this morning as I was playing with my setup, that every time I switch presets that the little circle in the "Save" button lights up yellow indicating that something had changed when I hadn't changed anything. sometimes when I switch presets in the "-" direction the save button goes off. This is without me having changed anything. This happens whether I use Axe-Edit III, Mastermind or Axe FX III to change the presets.

I disconnected the Mastermind, shutdown Axe FX III, shutdown Axe-Edit III restarted Axe FX III and it came up with the "Edited" light on, again where I hadn't changed anything. I never noticed this before. Is this normal? It seems like it shouldn't light up the "Edited" light unless I actually change something.

I'm wondering if this is a sign of some kind of corruption on the Axe FX III.

This is driving me crazy. I can't even finish a practice session anymore without stuff going south.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Setup:
-----------------------------
Windows 10
RJM Mastermind GT/22
Axe FX III - FW 17.01
AxeEdit - Version 1.10.04

Back
Top Bottom