AXE Edit died, and i cant live without it!

turn on my computer last night, and axe edit just will not launch successfully. i've tried deleting, reinstalling, restarting, with AXEFX plugged in, without, no other apps running. I was planning on using the axe for its first gig this friday, and i really need to keep tweaking but i cant imagine doing it all on the axe itself.
so i waiting till this morning to see if it would magically work again.... it didnt.

has this happend to anyone else? any suggestions for a fix?
cheers

Process: Axe-Edit [3257]
Path: /Applications/Axe-Edit.app/Contents/MacOS/Axe-Edit
Identifier: com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit
Version: ??? (1.0)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [141]

Date/Time: 2012-05-16 07:39:16.243 +1000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D50d)
Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report: 19651 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 1
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 26 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1
Anonymous UUID: 73D71C20-C71B-44FA-ABEC-0AAEE2104EE9

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000000000001bc

VM Regions Near 0x1bc:
--> __PAGEZERO 0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [ 4K] ---/--- SM=NUL /Applications/Axe-Edit.app/Contents/MacOS/Axe-Edit
__TEXT 0000000000001000-00000000005f8000 [ 6108K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Axe-Edit.app/Contents/MacOS/Axe-Edit

Application Specific Information:
objc[3257]: garbage collection is OFF

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x0016c0be AssetUtilities::translateAsset(unsigned char*, int, unsigned char*, int, int, bool) + 46
1 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x0003331b PresetManager::setSourceFromPath(juce::String const&, AssetDB::EditModes, int) + 587
2 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x000340aa PresetManager::initialize() + 1850
3 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x00011b9f AxeFxComponent::initialize() + 1279
4 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x000128db AxeFxComponent::AxeFxComponent(AxeFxFilter*) + 299
5 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x00020189 AxeFxFilter::createEditor() + 41
6 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x002ffb28 juce::AudioProcessor::createEditorIfNeeded() + 40
7 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x001c4778 StandaloneFilterWindow::StandaloneFilterWindow(juce::String const&, juce::Colour const&, bool) + 1416
8 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x001c31b0 PluginHostApp::initialise(juce::String const&) + 560
9 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x002ef987 juce::JUCEApplication::initialiseApp(juce::String const&) + 279
10 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x002efd02 juce::JUCEApplication::main(juce::String const&) + 50
11 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x002effff juce::JUCEApplication::main(int, char const**) + 415
12 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x00010f1f _start + 209
13 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x00010e4d start + 41

Thread 1:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9573190a kevent + 10
1 libdispatch.dylib 0x96c85c58 _dispatch_mgr_invoke + 969
2 libdispatch.dylib 0x96c846a7 _dispatch_mgr_thread + 53

Thread 2:
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9572ec22 mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9572e1f6 mach_msg + 70
2 com.apple.audio.midi.CoreMIDI 0x00f9afcb XServerMachPort::ReceiveMessage(int&, void*, int&) + 101
3 com.apple.audio.midi.CoreMIDI 0x00fbdf8b MIDIProcess::RunMIDIInThread() + 259
4 com.apple.audio.midi.CoreMIDI 0x00fbe912 MIDIProcess::MIDIInPortThread::Run() + 24
5 com.apple.audio.midi.CoreMIDI 0x00f9c59f XThread::RunHelper(void*) + 17
6 com.apple.audio.midi.CoreMIDI 0x00f9bf69 CAPThread::Entry(CAPThread*) + 123
7 libsystem_c.dylib 0x97784ed9 _pthread_start + 335
8 libsystem_c.dylib 0x977886de thread_start + 34

Thread 3:
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9573102e __workq_kernreturn + 10
1 libsystem_c.dylib 0x97786ccf _pthread_wqthread + 773
2 libsystem_c.dylib 0x977886fe start_wqthread + 30

Thread 4:

Thread 5:

Thread 6:
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9573083e __psynch_cvwait + 10
1 libsystem_c.dylib 0x97788e78 _pthread_cond_wait + 914
2 libsystem_c.dylib 0x977307f5 pthread_cond_timedwait + 47
3 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x004b3f60 juce::WaitableEvent::wait(int) const + 144
4 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x004de8db juce::Thread::wait(int) const + 27
5 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x0030c534 juce::InternalTimerThread::run() + 388
6 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x004df4cd juce::Thread::threadEntryPoint() + 253
7 com.fractalaudio.AxeEdit 0x004bd136 juce::threadEntryProc(void*) + 70
8 libsystem_c.dylib 0x97784ed9 _pthread_start + 335
9 libsystem_c.dylib 0x977886de thread_start + 34

Thread 7:

HAppen to me also after trying to lóad a TM match preset from a user. Installing over the existing install doesn`t work. But de-install and new install does work. No axe was connected at any time....

It's happened to me a couple of times. Trash the preference folder. This worked for me both times... fired right up.

It's happened to me a couple of times. Trash the preference folder. This worked for me both times... fired right up.

Just happened to me this morning. But, after I uninstalled it, and downloaded a new one , it worked fine.
I have windows.

I know they are working on a new revision, so hopefully they will get the bugs out.

Just happened to me this morning. But, after I uninstalled it, and downloaded a new one , it worked fine.
I have windows.

I know they are working on a new revision, so hopefully they will get the bugs out.

Good to know. With Mac's, anytime a program is acting funny for whatever reason, trashing that programs preference folder will fix it 9 times out of 10. This has been my experience, anyway.

Front panel editing is really easy. Aside from fixing your Axe-Edit, you should spend some time really familiarizing yourself and getting comfortable with it. Once you're totally familiar with it, it's almost as fast as doing stuff in Axe Edit, and makes you less reliant on the software. Honestly, I do almost everything front panel. Once you get comfortable with it, it's really a breeze. Good luck with getting your Axe Edit going!

Good to know. With Mac's, anytime a program is acting funny for whatever reason, trashing that programs preference folder will fix it 9 times out of 10. This has been my experience, anyway.

hey 3Dhuman, im running osx 10.7.3. where does the preference folder live? i think urs might be the solution im looking for. thanks

I haven’t had to do this before, but this is how it is done.

Preferences files end in .plist. To delete these files, follow these steps:

1. Open the Finder and select your user name.
2. Open the Library folder and then the Preferences folder.
3. Work through the list, deleting files associated with programs you have previously deleted or for an application that is acting odd.
4. To delete the file, Control+click it and choose Delete.

Caution! Don’t delete preferences files if you don’t know what program they’re associated with!

HAppen to me also after trying to lóad a TM match preset from a user. Installing over the existing install doesn`t work. But de-install and new install does work. No axe was connected at any time....

Happened to me on (2) differant machies. After trying to download the dropbox file in your 'Step-by-Step Guide Amp Matching Tutorial incl. preset-template - tested and valid' post. Happened on my DAW and like a fool, I tryed it (with same resuts)on my laptop. However after a complete uninstall and then install, all is well. Still would like to see your Dropbox zip, but I'll not try again..

hey 3Dhuman, im running osx 10.7.3. where does the preference folder live? i think urs might be the solution im looking for. thanks

It's in the user library folder which is hidden by default in Lion. To access it, click 'Go' in Finder and hold down the Option key. You'll see it pop up in the drop down menu.

I'm on OSX 10.5.8... but it's pretty much the same deal. I just trashed the entire folder named Fractal Audio. Don't worry, Axe Edit will automatically start building a new one from scratch... though, you will have to choose your basic preferences again.

Let us know if it worked.

On mac here as well and have been figuring out (at least for my machine) the quirks with AE. OS 10.6.8 +AXE II FW 6.0 and latest AE. plist delete works sometimes. When i installed AE it would never even open cuz it did not like the default folder path...Documents-Fractal Audio etc...i had to insert a folder that went Documents-AXE II (or whatever you decide)-Fractal Audio blah blah...that did the trick. but lose connection like 7/10 times. I suspect a usb thing based on a few other threads and known issues with Mac drivers or something. It seems for me that when i open another application like itunes before the midi/audio settings get confused (on my imac). It works best if i open AE first before anything else. Also if it still does not open. I shut AE down, power down the axe and unplug the USB from puter for a bit. That also seems to get it recognized. Very temperamental at best right now...which sucks since i rely heavily on tweaking via AE.

Front panel editing is really easy. Aside from fixing your Axe-Edit, you should spend some time really familiarizing yourself and getting comfortable with it. Once you're totally familiar with it, it's almost as fast as doing stuff in Axe Edit, and makes you less reliant on the software. Honestly, I do almost everything front panel. Once you get comfortable with it, it's really a breeze. Good luck with getting your Axe Edit going!

Agreed. It's much faster using the rotary encoders to change settings. I don't use Axe Edit very often... might be the reason I've not had any problems with the unit (compared to issues some other users are experiencing). The only time it ever 'froze' was when I was using Axe Edit. The only wish I've ever had regarding the AxeFx2 is that the 4 encoders were an extra 1/2 inch apart from each other.

take this as a chance to learn the front panel. axe edit slows me down and leaves me f'd if i can't adjust the axe on stage without a computer.

Thanks for all ur help. Try as I might I cannot find any .plist files that seem to relate to fractal or axe-edit in any folder labeled "preferences" on my mac, and there are a couple. Have not tried deleting the "documents/fractal" folders. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Will try on wen I get home.

Just a word to all those who say the front panel of the axe is faster to edit by that AE (web its working that is) ur are crazy! I'll challenge anyone to a race AE Vs front panel preset tweaking.

PS. I made sure very early on that I know how to do everything I do one AE via the front panel to tweak at rehearsals (no gigs yet. The un-modded FCB1010 is useless :) )

Still, love this machine!

I used to use Axe-Edit exclusively until I realized how easy it was to program from the front panel. It seemed like it wouldn't be but it really is. Anyway, good luck; I really can't offer any help with computer stuff.

Yeah, honestly the front panel is just so easy to use that I don't even bother with the editor much. The editor may have an advantage if you're going to be creating a bunch of presets from scratch and you need to get them all to a certain starting point or something, but for basic preset editing the front panel is soooo easy.

As for your challenge, I'll bet you I can tweak a preset to my liking before your computer boots up. And I'm sure I could tweak multiple presets much faster than you can figure out why AxeEdit isn't working. ; )

Reactions: DLM
If the front panel was so easy to use, Axe-Edit wouldn't have been created.

If all you are doing is building simple patches & adjusting B/M/T/P controls, then yeah, the front panel is fine. When it comes to moving blocks, connecting rows in parallel, selecting amp or cab types, recalling saved blocks, etc., AE is far easier.

Making tweaks to controls is easier with the front panel knobs, but I often like to switch back & forth between 2 values to compare them. It is much faster in AE to type in the numbers & hit Enter back & forth than it is to try to hit those same 2 settings turning a knob back & forth.

It's also a lot easier to audition IRs in AE. Except that if I ever delete a cabinet block once it's been created, it freezes my unit. I have been trying to build bass tones all freaking day. It's ridiculous. I can't get anything done with all this freaking rebooting.

Why not uninstall the current edit and download the new one that came out today?

Back
Top Bottom