Axe-Edit constantly loses connection

Yes, a very frustrating problem. For me, it seems to be that something is in contention with Axe for Audio Resources. When I go into the Windows 10 sound settings to check things out, I can see the Axe being connected and disconnected almost continuously. I have never been able to find out what's been fighting with the axe for resources even after having checked to see if there are any background processes running that could be in contention. Even turning pc and axe on/off doesn't fix it but usually if I let it sit overnight and come back the next day all is well until the next time. Mystery - and I commiserate with your frustration on this but it could be a local pc problem unless Axe Edit was made more robust to grab resources and not let them go.

The thing that the internet has to do with windows update. Might be worth looking into update history and roll back Windows if you haven't checked that yet. I have had more trouble with windows updates screwing with drivers than I can count.

Paul

the same here - lately the window updates kill my internet connection and I have to pull the power plug from the Fritz Box and put a minute later in.

I have noticed the issue for me happens what i have both the axe fx AND the focusrite scarlett interface connected through usb at the same time.
Disconnecting the scarlett makes the axe edit working fine.
So there's probably a conflict going on between the two devices.

I have noticed the issue for me happens what i have both the axe fx AND the focusrite scarlett interface connected through usb at the same time.
Disconnecting the scarlett makes the axe edit working fine.
So there's probably a conflict going on between the two devices.

Funny you say that. It actually solved it for me. The problem seems to occur only with the Axe-2 (not the XL or XL+) when using it as sound card. Started with Q8 for me and it seems for everybody else as well. As soon as i hooked up a pair of monitors to my focusrite 2i2 and stopped using the Axe-Fx as a sound card the problem was gone. I've been using this setup for month now wit a glitch. Now i can play along a song withoy Axe-edit crashing.

Here's another potential clue: I have a new (no Logic, or anything really) 2019 Mac Mini, and I'm trying to get it to see my Axe Fx II XL USB connection. I doesn't appear in the System Report (from the About This Mac), the Sound-->Inputs list. Both the systems have been cycled off and on, cables swapped out, etc. No Axe Fx II USB.

Okay, so I unplug the USB-A connecter that's directly connected to the Mac Mini, and plug it into my MacBook Pro (2013), and voila!, the Axe Fx II USB driver appears in the System Report, and, of course, seen by Axe Edit.

The connection remains, as long as I don't turn off the Axe Fx unit. The Mac Mini can be shutdown and turned back on, with the connection reestablishing.

So, whatever is going on, seems to be a handshake issue with the Axe Fx. Which changes state from the default of "doesn't exist." And somehow the MacBook Pro addresses the Axe Fx USB differently, in such a way as to wake it up the USB for the Mini.

Ideas? Ideally, I like to turn and shut everything down, and have it work again.

Both the Mac Mini and the MacBook Pro are running the same, current, version of OS X (Mojave).

I opened the ticket this morning, and just got a response from Support. In case you're curious, and because it may help even III users, there's a Mac USB driver. I'd never seen it made available. Probably, just didn't see it. If I were on Windows, I would think about driver updates. I haven't had much experience with installing Mac drivers. Anyway, whatever it is, whatever it does, it worked. Here's a link to the .dmg: https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/drivers/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx_II_USB_Driver Setup_167.dmg.

excellent news as I was seriously thinking of buy a Mac Mini (most probably only if they updated it to the 8 core) as my next music making machine.

Just an fyi for others that may run into this on MAC, I started having this problem recently and discovered that it's onset coincided with my defining AxefxII USB sources/destination within an aggregate device definition. When I took the AxeFxII out of this definition, the problem subsided - so far so good after a few hours. The aggregate device contained both AxeII and III usb sources/destination but I did not test to see if it was this co-location that causes the issue or if AxefxII AxeEdit simply does not like having an aggregate device running with the same components.

Can I download older versions of Axe-Edit? I'm having constant communication time out ("it's always the same.. having a nervous breakdown" etc) since installing 3.14.6. Tried re-installing the (new?) driver. I don't have the old version anymore.

Last edited:
......defining AxefxII USB sources/destination within an aggregate device definition. When I took the AxeFxII out of this definition, the problem subsided - .....
Dude.
You are being showered in rose petals.
Thousands, and thousands, of rose petals.
Can you feel them?
Fragrant and plump, carelessly spinning as they fall, gently brushing your cheek, (some stay in your hair)... creating a delicate carpet where I bow, grovel forth and kiss your feet, clutch at your pants in a beseeching manor, and fervently proclaim you as my saviour...
For you are THE ONE!
The one who has solved the riddle of the Time Out error!!
I will be forever in your debt.
I offer you my first born.
(Did i just type all that out aloud?)
SO for those following along at home, yes it worked, had the Axe Fx II as part of an aggregate device with an RME Fireface 400, ( firewire device).
Using Logic X and was getting time out, lost communication, and unrecognised device errors, regardless of whether the aggregate device was being used by Logic or not.
Deleted the aggregate device and all good now.
Thanks again !
Carl

Dude.
You are being showered in rose petals.
Thousands, and thousands, of rose petals.
Can you feel them?
Fragrant and plump, carelessly spinning as they fall, gently brushing your cheek, (some stay in your hair)... creating a delicate carpet where I bow, grovel forth and kiss your feet, clutch at your pants in a beseeching manor, and fervently proclaim you as my saviour...
For you are THE ONE!
The one who has solved the riddle of the Time Out error!!
I will be forever in your debt.
I offer you my first born.
(Did i just type all that out aloud?)
SO for those following along at home, yes it worked, had the Axe Fx II as part of an aggregate device with an RME Fireface 400, ( firewire device).
Using Logic X and was getting time out, lost communication, and unrecognised device errors, regardless of whether the aggregate device was being used by Logic or not.
Deleted the aggregate device and all good now.
Thanks again !
Carl
Awesome! 👍 Happy to help

Just an fyi for others that may run into this on MAC, I started having this problem recently and discovered that it's onset coincided with my defining AxefxII USB sources/destination within an aggregate device definition. When I took the AxeFxII out of this definition, the problem subsided - so far so good after a few hours. The aggregate device contained both AxeII and III usb sources/destination but I did not test to see if it was this co-location that causes the issue or if AxefxII AxeEdit simply does not like having an aggregate device running with the same components.
Tried a similar thing on PC- worked like a charm.

I had Virtual Audio Cable installed for a few reasons before I had my AxeFx, and since uninstalling that I've had no problems. There seems to be some issue with not being able to differentiate between multiple audio sources, but as of now disabling or uninstalling any drivers not in use seems to fix the problem. However, I can use my Scarlett 2i2 at the same time just fine, so it might just be some drivers.

Either way, huge thank you to this idea, it's so much more enjoyable to tweak for hours without AxeEdit crashing on me.

Back
Top Bottom