Axe-Edit constant crashing

Communication time-out:

Axe-Edit was unable to complete the following communication request: Block Swap : preset_query_grid

Macbook, lates High Sierra, when used as audio interface. Axe FX 2 Mk 2

I can commit, that the AxeEdit-crashes are back in 9.04!
On macOS Sierra, last version.
Yesterday evening, I had them 4 times.
Every time in a different context;
Clicking the Save-Button, moving a block from one place to another,
changing parameters and so on...

Over a longer time of firmware versions, there had been no problems.
And ... yes
cables are OK
os-system is OK
no midi-pedal or something like that
no other midi-app running on the mac-system
nothing has been changed in my environment

Same procedure, as all the times before:
-Communication timeout
-Clicking the OK-button of the message; next message pops up: Communication timeout
-AxeEdit doesn't work anymore and has to be killed and restarted
-AxeFx works but has to be restarted to let AxeEdit work

It's very sad, but midi-over-usb and the AxeFx are not good friends ;-)
The midi-connections are very touchy, even today.

I'm getting it, too. i7 MBP with HighSierra with an Axe II XL+ that's <2 months old. I'm not using the Axe as an interface or anything. Just plugged in to edit presets.

Exactly the same set-up, symptoms, and recovery steps as LPaulasBestFriend.

I though this was worth a double post as I could not find anything while previously searching.

I recently picked up an older AXE-FXll Mark ll with MFC-101 mklll. running a mid 2010 Mac pro with os x 10.12.x High Sierra updated today June 14 2018 and latest logicX. The previous owner while flashing the MFC101 ( or I somehow did ) switched the I/o MIDI setting “usb adaptor mode” in the FXll to ON.

This caused AXE Edit to lose communication, have slow transfers, create multiple presets with the same settings only when transferring several at a time while saving in Manage, caused logic to switch audio driver settings losing audio output, cause axe-edit to go into communication pause mode when putting logic into play, caused the stereo out of logic to show up with the processed guitar signal at the headphones while monitoring output one on the fxll and while generally working, if only editing one preset at a time, it randomly was losing communication and forcing a reboot of theFXll to re-establish communication.

Only one wrong midi configuration setting was acting out in several different ways across the entire system. So check the midi setting in I/o /midi/usb adaptor mode/ and set it to OFF. This stabilized the entire system, doubled the communication speed, and all of the myriad of above symptoms CLEARED COMPLETELY.

I hope this helps someone!

Last edited:
This just started happening to me after I installed AX8 Edit. Using Axe-Fx II mkii never had any issues in the past like this. Reproducible too. I load Axe-Edit and hit save on the app. Crash. Just Axe Edit. I've uninstalled Ax8 Edit and reinstalled newest version. No clue what is causing this but Windows logs just show "Application Error".

Windows 8.1.

I think I see your problem.

Windows 8.1. <----Yeah, that'd do it, all right!

You might want to check on support for that particular abomination of Windows.

In fact I'd HIGHLY suggest you ditch 8.1 and migrate to 10.

8 was a bump in the carpet and Microsoft dropped support for it some time ago.

I don't like 10 at all for many reasons but at least it's stable.

Back
Top Bottom