Axe-Edit constant crashing

This is not helpful... but here goes.

Even counting alpha and beta builds, I have never once seen Axe-Edit crash.
I have used it tens of thousands of times on dozens of different computers PC and (mostly) Mac (from Snow Leopard to High Sierra).

It must be something in your environment. Are you using a USB-C to USB adapter?

Thankfully, OS X prints out a nice system diagnostic report for kernel panics. Open "Console" then /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and check for your kernel panics there. Also, on reboot it probably told you all this. From the stack trace you can usually identify the culprit.

You can find more info and diagnostics here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

Feel free to PM me the stack if you'd like.

Mine will freeze first then crash. It happens still. The error message I get is this:

"Communication time-out:
Axe-Edit was unable to complete the following communication request: Load Preset: modifier_query_all_ids"

Is this at all clearer?

It has never happened unless running Axe Edit. Never. Which is not proof...but.....
Oh, I'm not necessarily saying it isn't related to Axe Edit BUT an application crashing an OS is pretty uncommon these days - and really has been for a long time with Unix-based OSes.
Thankfully, OS X prints out a nice system diagnostic report for kernel panics. Open "Console" then /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and check for your kernel panics there. Also, on reboot it probably told you all this. From the stack trace you can usually identify the culprit.

You can find more info and diagnostics here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

Feel free to PM me the stack if you'd like.
That's where I would be looking...

I checked and there is absolutely no crash log where you told me to look. Or anywhere else that I've been able to find.

This mac seems to show no evidence or memory of its having crashed.

I've been running it all day, just sitting idle most of the time, and NOT running Axe-Edit and so far it has not crashed today.

I'm not saying Axe-Edit is crashing or causing the crash. I'm just saying I've had some crashes recently (twice) and Axe-Edit was the only running app at the time.

I draw no conclusions, I only report factual data.

I did. I posted earlier that when I hold shift and reopen Axe-Edit, nothing happens.

The reason I asked is that option was not listed on this page. So, if you deleted your Axe Preference file and moved your workspace directory then it should be the same as taking the action you posted about.

I tried that. And I just tried an absolute clean reinstall of it. Deleted any trace of it and reinstalled. Still crashing. Im wondering if it's my USB port. My machine isn't more than 2 years old or so. Maybe the port is too slow? I dunno

I'd definitely try other ports and cables if possible. It shouldn't be a speed issue. Do you have a make model for the computer you are using? Sometimes there are firmware updates and other stuff that might need to be updated from a hardware perspective.

I can commit, that the AxeEdit-crashes are back in 9.04!
On macOS Sierra, last version.
Yesterday evening, I had them 4 times.
Every time in a different context;
Clicking the Save-Button, moving a block from one place to another,
changing parameters and so on...

Over a longer time of firmware versions, there had been no problems.
And ... yes
cables are OK
os-system is OK
no midi-pedal or something like that
no other midi-app running on the mac-system
nothing has been changed in my environment

Same procedure, as all the times before:
-Communication timeout
-Clicking the OK-button of the message; next message pops up: Communication timeout
-AxeEdit doesn't work anymore and has to be killed and restarted
-AxeFx works but has to be restarted to let AxeEdit work

It's very sad, but midi-over-usb and the AxeFx are not good friends ;-)
The midi-connections are very touchy, even today.

If you want to be technical, Matt is correct here. Strictly speaking, the "communication timeout" problem that has been reported in this thread and by many Mk I/II customers when using USB audio is not a crash.

The fact is however, that it is worse than a crash because not only do you have to restart Axedit, but you also have to reboot your AxeFX.

This is not helpful... but here goes.

Even counting alpha and beta builds, I have never once seen Axe-Edit crash.
I have used it tens of thousands of times on dozens of different computers PC and (mostly) Mac (from Snow Leopard to High Sierra).

It must be something in your environment. Are you using a USB-C to USB adapter?

Back
Top Bottom