Axe-Edit constant crashing

MetalGarret

Inspired
Is there a way to keep Axe Edit from crashing all the time? It happens way too often. I could be doing anything and it'd crash.

There probably isn't enough information in your original post for anyone to be helpful. We need to know what version of Axe-Edit you are using, Axe II firmware version, etc. What steps have you performed to help isolate the crash, etc. How are things connected, etc. The more detail you provide, the easier it should be to help isolate and resolve.

I haven't had Axe Edit crash in a long time, so I'm not even sure if it dumps a stack trace somewhere. Maybe someone else can comment about that.

Just as ancillary data, I have been using Axe Edit since the day it came out on various versions of Windows from Vista to 10 and never had it crash.

I've also not really seen much in the way of reports on the forum of crashes.

There probably isn't enough information in your original post for anyone to be helpful. We need to know what version of Axe-Edit you are using, Axe II firmware version, etc. What steps have you performed to help isolate the crash, etc. How are things connected, etc. The more detail you provide, the easier it should be to help isolate and resolve.

I haven't had Axe Edit crash in a long time, so I'm not even sure if it dumps a stack trace somewhere. Maybe someone else can comment about that.
I'm using the latest version of it. If I could get it to stay open I'd tell you the exact numbers. But it's the latest version you can download off the site. I re-downloaded it yesterday. I'm on Windows 8.1 and the firmware im on is Quantum 8.02. I didn't use to have this problem until some time ago.

Check your Documents Folder and look for the "Fractal Audio" sub-folder. Just try re-naming that to something else for the time being then try restarting Axe-Edit. Does the app stay running without the Axe-Fx connected to it? It would be nice to figure out if it's crashing with or without the Axe connected.

I had same problem. It went away somewhere in 8 but is back big time with 9.04. I am on Windows 10, using latest version of Axe Edit with my II. It started with communication timeouts that freeze up Axe Edit. I reinstalled Axe Edit and the driver yesterday and was then completely locked out with an "unknown version" error message in Axe Edit. I do not that the same problem with my Ax8

Thanks for the tip above Bisketboy! Tried it as a I typed this and now it works again. Should I name the directory back to Fractal Audio or is there a file I should delete in there?

Thanks for the tip above Bisketboy! Tried it as a I typed this and now it works again. Should I name the directory back to Fractal Audio or is there a file I should delete in there?

Hopefully it created a new folder for you. You can check the preferences "workspace" and see where it's storing the various items. Some items, like "blocks" you might want to try replacing them back into the new sub-folder that was created.

Since you have both Ax8-Edit and Axe-Edit, I would just remove the problematic sub-folder version (Axe-Edit in this case). Then restore any blocks you might have. Those are "saved" blocks that you created in Axe-Edit. If there isn't anything under that directory, that's ok.

Check your Documents Folder and look for the "Fractal Audio" sub-folder. Just try re-naming that to something else for the time being then try restarting Axe-Edit. Does the app stay running without the Axe-Fx connected to it? It would be nice to figure out if it's crashing with or without the Axe connected.
It stays running but I can't go into settings and do anything really.

Ok. Connect it up and see if you can go to the Preferences->Refresh page. See if you are able to refresh each of those 3 options listed.

Is it any better now? I'm assuming it didn't crash during initial connection or any of the refresh options? If it crashes again, see if there are any commonalities with what you are doing. For example, always on Preset X, or when I perform Y action. Also, Axe-Edit should automatically pause if you select anything on the front panel. I would make sure you haven't changed any of those default preferences for testing.

In addition, I would close all other apps you have open. Also, you might want to wipe the axe-edit.settings preference file. Check this doc out for the location:

http://support.fractalaudio.com/ind...e/View/11/3/axe-edit-time-out-troubleshooting

So far it hasn't happened yet but it could just be a good day. I've been watching what I do to see what causes it but I could be doing anything and it would crash. Turn the gain up or adjust balance. Didnt matter. I'll let you know what happens.

I'm running Axe-Edit on a Macbook Pro with High Sierra on it, connected to a II.

Twice now it's crashed on me. Hard crash, total freeze. Had to shut off and completely reboot. It happened today.

In both cases I'd done NOTHING recently. It had been sitting idle for a couple of minutes since the last change I made to a preset.

I'm going to try a PC laptop if it crashes on me one more time. At least a PC gives symptoms of a crash before it happens. People think Macs don't crash but the truth is that they do but they try to hide it.

I'm running Axe-Edit on a Macbook Pro with High Sierra on it, connected to a II.

Twice now it's crashed on me. Hard crash, total freeze. Had to shut off and completely reboot. It happened today.

In both cases I'd done NOTHING recently. It had been sitting idle for a couple of minutes since the last change I made to a preset.

I'm going to try a PC laptop if it crashes on me one more time. At least a PC gives symptoms of a crash before it happens. People think Macs don't crash but the truth is that they do but they try to hide it.
Crash or freeze? It can't be both...

Are you talking about Axe Edit crashing or your Mac?

Back
Top Bottom