Axe Edit constant crashes

Hey all....not sure if this will help but if it gets anyone closer great!!!

I have axe XL and windows 7 with latest software and firmware connected to a focusrite Scarlett via midi cables. Everything worked fine with no flaws until.....yesterday.

This may be coincidence but this is what happened. I updated the usb driver to finally use them. Still connected via midi cables I was editing a patch. Copied the GEQ to the clipboard (for use on another patch) and it happened....locked up. I tried rebooting all software hardware computer but no go. Try to reconnect and it says something about version information cannot be queried. So now im down too.

Hope this can add to the trouble shooting.

I here you mate….but, it's a hit an miss, at least for me (Axe-fx 2 + MAC user). Sometime I can play for 2 hours straight w/o issues, the next day after 5-10 minutes I get the 'Communication Timeout ' issues. Straight USB cable to the Axe, no DAW, no other interfaces no midi cable…. and as everyone else e already mentioned, it all this is happening after Q8/latest Axe-edit release.. Never had an issue before.

Some wacky stuff going on with axe-edit here:
I'm using the recommended FAS09-5M cable with my Axe fx II mk 2 on a windows 10/usb 3.0 laptop with latest axe edit and Q8.02 . I've had increasing problems with AE and the latest is the sound works with monitors but I can't connect to fracpad or AE no matter what I do. I've uninstalled the drivers a thousand times and reinstalled in every port. Maybe the FAS09 cable is bad? Idk. Maybe I should get a USB 3.0 cable instead? I'm about to give up and stick with the front panel. Or maybe try Q8.01 since someone said 8.02 seems to be the issue.

I know it's AE, because my DAW (reaper) works fine and so does my Axe for transmitting sound from my computer through my monitors. I can select midi ports in AE but I can't hit the refresh button (greyed out). Anyone have the recommended settings for I/O? I know I have MIDI set to Omni, USB adapter mode on, Buffer rate at 1024 on both my computer and Axe. I also uninstalled chrome so it's not a matter of hijacked midi ports I don't think....

Send help immediately.... :p

Last edited:
I here you mate….but, it's a hit an miss, at least for me (Axe-fx 2 + MAC user). Sometime I can play for 2 hours straight w/o issues, the next day after 5-10 minutes I get the 'Communication Timeout ' issues. Straight USB cable to the Axe, no DAW, no other interfaces no midi cable…. and as everyone else e already mentioned, it all this is happening after Q8/latest Axe-edit release.. Never had an issue before.

Same issue here. Seems random & intermittent. Never had issues until recently. Running latest firmware on a 2015 IMac. I have to force quit AxeEdit & turn off/on my AxeII to fix the issue.

OK here is update.
I changed hardware, motherboard, processor, and ram.
I changed USB cable
Tried all USB slots on the new motherboard, though I knew it is a totaly useless.

No surprise - the issue still there

For once again I tried to use different MIDI ports on the AXE
Turned off ASUO Guard in Cubase
Nothing help
this is clearly a program issue, not USB cable not USB port issue,
this needs to be fixed by developers. There is nothing user can do about it.

It happens when I use Cubase for reamping through USB
When Cubase uses AXE FX as a sound card.

What did kinda help me is to change USB buffer size on the Axe FX from 64 to 512.
this is good as a workaround but such buffer size is no good due to reamp latency. I always used it at 64
So far I spend 20 minutes without Timeout, will test longer and report back
(Usually, it took about 3-5 minutes before it crash)

I'll send this message to support as well.

Last edited:
OK here is update.
I changed hardware, motherboard, processor, and ram.
I changed USB cable
Tried all USB slots on the new motherboard, though I knew it is a totaly useless.

No surprise - the issue still there

For once again I tried to use different MIDI ports on the AXE
Turned off ASUO Guard in Cubase
Nothing help
this is clearly a program issue, not USB cable not USB port issue,
this needs to be fixed by developers. There is nothing user can do about it.

It happens when I use Cubase for reamping through USB
When Cubase uses AXE FX as a sound card.

What did kinda help me is to chang USB buffer size on the Axe FX from 64 to 512.
this is good as a workaround but such buffer size is no good due to reamp latency. I always used it at 64
So far I spend 20 minutes without Timeout, will test longer and report back
(Usually, it took about 3-5 minutes before it crash)

I'll send this message to support as well.

Thanks @Detch for your update. I'm going to try the buffer size….though won't hold my breath.

Since I have updated to FW 8.01 and Axe edit 3.14.1, I have communication time out messages (a few by hours). I had no problem before that.
The cpu level of the patch doesn't change anything : axe edit crashes, cab lab crashes..., the only solution is to swich off the axe-fx II and to try again. Most of the time the axe edit program can't be swiched off without going through the task manager (I'm on windows 7).

Question to my fractal forum friends, am I the only one ?

Thanks
I have noticed it appears for me to be a problem with Cubase 9 on Windows 10 (Axe FW and axe edit all current). Any time I try to run cubase 9 and axe-edit I get the timeout error lockup thing. If I run axe-edit by itself no problem as soon as fire up cubase, or have cubase running and try to fire up axe-edit it crashes. . Is there a solution to this? Could it be both software are trying to use same port? I am not a computer expert so I am just guessing.

I have noticed it appears for me to be a problem with Cubase 9 on Windows 10 (Axe FW and axe edit all current). Any time I try to run cubase 9 and axe-edit I get the timeout error lockup thing. If I run axe-edit by itself no problem as soon as fire up cubase, or have cubase running and try to fire up axe-edit it crashes. . Is there a solution to this? Could it be both software are trying to use same port? I am not a computer expert so I am just guessing.
It's most likely not related to Cubase. It seams related to using the Axe-Fx for USB audio? Widows Media player, Presonus Studio One, Reaper, Ableton, all cause lockups for me.

As long as I don't send any audio through my Axe-Fx II - Mk I (even an email notification), I can use the editor for 12+ hours without a glitch. Tone Matching over USB can be a nightmare too........

Help!!!

It's most likely not related to Cubase. It seams related to using the Axe-Fx for USB audio? Widows Media player, Presonus Studio One, Reaper, Ableton, all cause lockups for me.

As long as I don't send any audio through my Axe-Fx II - Mk I (even an email notification), I can use the editor for 12+ hours without a glitch. Tone Matching over USB can be a nightmare too........

Help!!!
Yeah not Cubase...I have this happening in Cubase, Logic, Protools, StudioOne, Main Stage and by itself.
What none of the programs in OSX with the exception of Logic and Main Stage play nice with is aggregate devices.
But the time out happens regardless of cable, port, settings ever since Q8.
It has gotten so bad that I've been using Helix Native since unless it's something that needs an existing patch of mine the hassle has been too much.
Particularly no fun when doing any kinda class around it and you keep having to restart.

Help!!!

This is interesting, as I do run audio through my Axe (play along to songs). No external audio interface, no DAW...nothing else. Usually I use VLC but been trying an alternative audio player.

Yeah not Cubase...I have this happening in Cubase, Logic, Protools, StudioOne, Main Stage and by itself.
What none of the programs in OSX with the exception of Logic and Main Stage play nice with is aggregate devices.
But the time out happens regardless of cable, port, settings ever since Q8.
It has gotten so bad that I've been using Helix Native since unless it's something that needs an existing patch of mine the hassle has been too much.
Particularly no fun when doing any kinda class around it and you keep having to restart.
Not daw related as i have also problems with spotify (backingtracks when using axe fx as soundcard).

It looks USB related. Messing up connection from axe fx to pc. It starts with axe fx, but after that its also windows 10 problem as audio stops and only a hard reset of windows and axe fx solves the issue.

Its pretty annoying..... as i use axe fx mostly.

Turn usb adapter mode off if you don't use your axefx as a midi adapter... turn axefx's usb buffer to 64
Usb adaptermode off?

If i use axe fx as soundcard will this be possible? Will i have sound? As im getting frustrated with the hangings & spotify also stops responding sometimes only to be fixed with complete restart of everything.

Do you have similar problems with your tools? That you made yourselve.

Back
Top Bottom