Axe Edit constant crashes

It has nothing to do with AxeEdit... It's a transport issue... Try other cables, try other usb ports, check if the midi ports are not open by another process... etc

I feel for you guys having this issue....there was a similar(?) problem back in Q6.02 IIRC, I was affected as were several other XL+ users , that was corrected by a FW/Axeedit fix, and I have since had zero connection issues , but no real explanation that the layperson could understand was given as to why a very limited subset of XL+ users were affected. This may be the case here, perhaps all of you who have not yet done so put in a service ticket. Also , not to be ignored is @Admin M@ 's suggestion that uninstalling Chrome on any computer used with Axe, as it has been proven to be A DANGEROUS MIDI HOG.

Deduction : It has always worked correctly for me and the majority of users, so it's not axeedit's fault
Well, with all due respect l don't agree. Some cars works very well for a lot of users until someone finds there is a problem with the airbag, breaks, etc... You could probably live with it without even noticing it. It doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist.
There are a lot of recent threads about these communication time-outs. I had some in the past, then everything went well for months. Now it doesn't work anymore, and I didn't change anything. The usb ports or cables are not better or worse. Of course there could be some interaction with other programs running, like Firefox, Avira,..., (but I also tried without) or situations where cab lab + axe edit crash, but maybe this is a stability problem that only occurs sometimes in some situations. I went from Cubase 7.5 to 8.5 without any crash, it doesn't mean there are no problems, hence the regular updates by steinberg to fix them.

Well, with all due respect l don't agree. Some cars works very well for a lot of users until someone finds there is a problem with the airbag, breaks, etc... You could probably live with it without even noticing it. It doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist.
There are a lot of recent threads about these communication time-outs. I had some in the past, then everything went well for months. Now it doesn't work anymore, and I didn't change anything. The usb ports or cables are not better or worse. Of course there could be some interaction with other programs running, like Firefox, Avira,..., (but I also tried without) or situations where cab lab + axe edit crash, but maybe this is a stability problem that only occurs sometimes in some situations. I went from Cubase 7.5 to 8.5 without any crash, it doesn't mean there are no problems, hence the regular updates by steinberg to fix them.
Software is not cars... It works or it doesn't, if used in the same circumstances. So if it doesn't for you it's because the software environment is different, so cables, usb ports/drivers, other process, etc

I may have found a solution. Had zero crashes last night. I want to take a couple more days of fiddling with my AxeFX that I just recently got back from FAS support (been using my friends MKii). Standby...

Please keep us posted. I am communicating with the FAS support as well, but the biggest issue is, that AXE EDIT does not have crash log (pretty strange for sw that comes with a 2K usd product), so they can not help at this time.

I tried a new cable, closed chrome, switched AC, etc.. Support says nothing has changed in the firmware, they just added some cabs, but still, I am having issues since FW update 8.01, before that everything went fine.

First here is my thread I created regarding this issue for some back history: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...imeouts-with-8b-q8-q8-01.127089/#post-1512090

My problem started on 8beta. I tried everything: replacing cables, usb ports, disengaging global blocks, used different computers, used different axefx IIs, reinstalled firmware - axe edit (AE) - usb driver (adjusting buffer settings), you name it. I kept screenshots of most timeout messages I have. I can post those if you need, but need to compile them. I even sent my axefx off to support and after a week of them running it through the ringer at 90%+ cpu usage they couldn't get it to disconnect from AE. So we deduced that it had to be something on my computer. So, I stopped using Chrome, Sonar X3 and even windows media player (all sources I use to learn songs/program presets on a weekly basis for my church service) and only when they all were closed did I have somewhat success with AE not disconnecting (which, if it did, I'd have to reboot both my Axefx and my PC... every time).

Preface: Ever since Fall of 2011 I have used my AxeFX as my sole audio interface. I've used it with 5 different PCs without constant disconnects like I have with 8b-8.01. Occasionally, it would disconnect, but it wasn't too often.

Here's my solution after 3 days with zero problems. I spoke to Charlie at FAS and I thought that perhaps the audio interface processing side of my axefx was perhaps being put under strain since I was running presets ~73-84% cpu usage and getting constant AE crashes. So, while i was waiting for my axefx to be returned I ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and put it in place of my axefx for processing. I can now keep my axefx connected, just as it has been this whole time, and not get a single disconnect. AE runs faster too now. Not only that, but I've been able to add 3-4 more effects in my chain which bumped up cpu usage to 85-90% usage with zero problems. Now, note I have only done this on my friends axefx that I have been borrowing from my friend (which also had disconnects like mine when i update it), but have not yet tried this with mine, but will after Sunday when I have time.

So short and sweet answer to fix this issue, I got another audio interface to take the load off my axefx and so far it's worked without a hitch. I do believe something (probably accidental and unintentional) happened with 8b+ b/c so many people are having this same problem. But this work around is working fine for me and was only $118 shipped.

Wow. Thanks for the tip. However, I don't know what to say, I feel very-very upset that you had to spent another 100 bucks to make your unit work, which by the way has a bug from the factory developers (namely fw8b-8.01&8.02).

Wow. Thanks for the tip. However, I don't know what to say, I feel very-very upset that you had to spent another 100 bucks to make your unit work, which by the way has a bug from the factory developers (namely fw8b-8.01&8.02).

I know what you mean, however, for me personally I can't complain with how much free stuff and improvement from FAS that I've personally experienced over the last 6 years. $118 was a small price for me to pay to get it working. Well, $118, plus shipping both ways to FAS ($100) plus the bench fee ($40)... so ~$258 or so.

Last edited:
First here is my thread I created regarding this issue for some back history: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...imeouts-with-8b-q8-q8-01.127089/#post-1512090

My problem started on 8beta. I tried everything: replacing cables, usb ports, disengaging global blocks, used different computers, used different axefx IIs, reinstalled firmware - axe edit (AE) - usb driver (adjusting buffer settings), you name it. I kept screenshots of most timeout messages I have. I can post those if you need, but need to compile them. I even sent my axefx off to support and after a week of them running it through the ringer at 90%+ cpu usage they couldn't get it to disconnect from AE. So we deduced that it had to be something on my computer. So, I stopped using Chrome, Sonar X3 and even windows media player (all sources I use to learn songs/program presets on a weekly basis for my church service) and only when they all were closed did I have somewhat success with AE not disconnecting (which, if it did, I'd have to reboot both my Axefx and my PC... every time).

Preface: Ever since Fall of 2011 I have used my AxeFX as my sole audio interface. I've used it with 5 different PCs without constant disconnects like I have with 8b-8.01. Occasionally, it would disconnect, but it wasn't too often.

Here's my solution after 3 days with zero problems. I spoke to Charlie at FAS and I thought that perhaps the audio interface processing side of my axefx was perhaps being put under strain since I was running presets ~73-84% cpu usage and getting constant AE crashes. So, while i was waiting for my axefx to be returned I ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and put it in place of my axefx for processing. I can now keep my axefx connected, just as it has been this whole time, and not get a single disconnect. AE runs faster too now. Not only that, but I've been able to add 3-4 more effects in my chain which bumped up cpu usage to 85-90% usage with zero problems. Now, note I have only done this on my friends axefx that I have been borrowing from my friend (which also had disconnects like mine when i update it), but have not yet tried this with mine, but will after Sunday when I have time.

So short and sweet answer to fix this issue, I got another audio interface to take the load off my axefx and so far it's worked without a hitch. I do believe something (probably accidental and unintentional) happened with 8b+ b/c so many people are having this same problem. But this work around is working fine for me and was only $118 shipped.

I'm sorry but that is not a solution, that is a work around.
Everything was fine until 8 beta. Nothing changed but the firmware and an AE update.
This is not a USB issue. This is not a transport issue.
And unlike you, I'm getting pissed off.

Thanks you nojyeloot for sharing your experience, but for me it won't help as I'm never using the axe fx as an audio interface but an external one...

Hi everybody,

I’m also experiencing constantly crashes every time I’m playing while using AxeEdit. Just like some of you already said: it all started with FW 8.

So if the Fractal support says there is no change in code except new Amps, I gonna trust them. But has anybody already considered the fact that one hand the USB-Driver hasn’t changed since years and on the other hand windows is getting updates und upgrades (Win 10 …) since then uncountable times.

Why shouldn’t be one little innocent K8xxxx??? Update combined with specific conditions a some people’s PC here be responsible for all the crashes? I’m wondering if there isn’t a chance to get rid of the problem by building a new USB-Driver from scratch.

It's not a solution neither a workaround because this is not the problem : i use my axefx as audio interface everyday and never got any problem...
It's probably a driver problem then, or an hardware incompatibility.
Did you try to get back to q7 and see if disconnections still happen?

Did you try to get back to q7 and see if disconnections still happen?

Yes, I rolled back to Q7.xx (forgot the last version of it), and still had issues after the initial upgrade.

And if you're not having problems, then fantastic, good for you. There is a group of members that have simultaneously been having very similar issues with q8. I usually appreciate reading your posts in your other threads, Al... but I'm not quite sure if you're trying to help or just nay say. Whatever it is, with all due respect, it's derailing from this thread and not helpful. As far as I've read on all these similar threads, nothing, other than q8 and AE update has changed on our ends. We started changing things after the problem with 8b.

I just try to get this discussion more logical, Cartesian... Everybody emits possible solutions that are only coincidences but clearly not evidences of the causes.
This kind of problems have obviously been recurrent over the years and changing cables/usb ports etc often fixed them.
This time there's a group of people having the problem and i'm not negating that but it's probably because there's a lot more axefx users than few years ago, and maybe because recent system upgrades cause a driver instability...
As you said, getting back to q7 does not fix the problem, so i must say i told it wasn't due to q8 as some people tended to say...
Now the only way to fix this kind of problems is trying things one by one, trying to find what changes between a working ecosystem and a not working one...

Back
Top Bottom