Axe-Edit 3.14 Disconnected from Axe-Fx II

rickbarclay

Inspired
I was messing around with Rocksmith 2014, trying to get it to work thru the Axe FxII using
the tutorial posted in the archives. I got it working, but there was so much line static I disconnected the Rocksmith cable and set it up using my video monitor as the audio source. The Rocksmith program worked fine-no complaints. After finishing with RS, I
I played around a bit using my AXE FX II. Everything was fine. I checked my computer's
audio settings, and my monitor, the Axe FX, and my Octa Capture unit were all listed in
the audio settings as they had been before trying out the RS tutorial.

Come tonight, with things set up to play thru the AXE FX, I booted up and checked the
sound settings, which listed my monitor as the audio source. There was no AXE FX II listed in the audio settings. When I turned on the Octa Capture, the setting changed from
my monitor to the Octa Capture ports. No listing for the AXE FX. Everything played
fine, and I was able to change scenes and presets thru the MFC 101 with no problem.

Then I booted up AXE Edit. The little red box said I was "disconnected." I can't get any
response out of Axe Edit. I rebooted the computer several times. I messed with the
I/O settings that I changed during the RS experiment. And now I'm left with no Axe Edit
to use. Maybe something got changed in the I/O settings. I don't know. So, can anyone out there offer any suggestions as to how to get my Axe Edit v3.14 back working? I really
appreciate your help. Thanks for any and all.

Yes, Chris. I checked the system audio settings in the control panel. It told me that the AXE FX II driver had failed. Without thinking I deleted it and rebooted, hoping that the AXE would be detected. It wasn't, and now I cant find the original driver file, and I need instructions as to how to reinstall the driver.

I assume I can get a new driver from the Fractal Audio site? What about installing it with Fractal Bot? I just updated it and it seems to be working. Thanks for your help bud. If I successfully reinstall the driver and get back into the audio settings list and get Axe Edit working, I have some questions as to what I did to make it fail.
I'm sure it failed because I installed Rocksmith 2014 and have been switching cables between Rocksmith and the AXE FX II.

There's a file called AXE_FX_II_USB_Driver_Setup.exe in one of my folders. Would
that work, do you think?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Yes, Chris. I checked the system audio settings in the control panel. It told me that the AXE FX II driver had failed. Without thinking I deleted it and rebooted, hoping that the AXE would be detected. It wasn't, and now I cant find the original driver file, and I need instructions as to how to reinstall the driver.

I assume I can get a new driver from the Fractal Audio site? What about installing it with Fractal Bot? I just updated it and it seems to be working. Thanks for your help bud. If I successfully reinstall the driver and get back into the audio settings list and get Axe Edit working, I have some questions as to what I did to make it fail.
I'm sure it failed because I installed Rocksmith 2014 and have been switching cables between Rocksmith and the AXE FX II.

Thanks again for your help.
yes, the USB drivers are always available on the Fractal site: https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-downloads/

Well, because the original usb driver worked just fine on this computer. But I just installed it twice here, and I'm still disconnected. Plus, come
to think of it, I didn't see any usb drivers on Fractals site, unless you're talking about Quantum 10. I'll go look again. I'm also going to test the usb cable on something.

Well, because the original usb driver worked just fine on this computer. But I just installed it twice here, and I'm still disconnected. Plus, come
to think of it, I didn't see any usb drivers on Fractals site, unless you're talking about Quantum 10. I'll go look again. I'm also going to test the usb cable on something.
i linked you right to the page, and on it says USB Drivers. here's and image of what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 4.56.59 PM.png

OK. Blind me just went to
Fractal Audio and dl'd the driver.
Installed it. I'm still disconnected from the axe.
I disconnected the usb cable and the computer sang out the three notes to tell me that I unplugged.
I reconnected the cable and it sang out 5 notes to tell me I reconnected.
I'm fairly sure the cable is good. The AXE does not show up in my sound settings.
My monitor speakers do, and so does the octa capture.

Ok. So I went into device manager. The AXE is listed there with a big ! inside a tringle. Windows tell me it can't load the driver because a previous version of the driver is preventing it. I thought I deleted it but I guess not. So should I uninstall the device and reinstall the updated driver?

Last edited:
Ok. Here's the latest. I'm still disconnected. There is no Axe FX II listed in the sound settings. There are 2 listings for Axe FX II
in the Device Manager. One is listed under XMOS USB 2.0 Audio Devices. This device is working properly. There another listing for the AXE under "Other Devices." It says the drivers for this device have not been installed. I'm at a loss. The updated driver I dl'd from Fractal Audio
was to the best of my understanding installed successfully. Your patience is appreciated.

Hi, Chris. I've started and restarted everything more times than I can count. I've done two system restores trying to get things back as they were before I started messing with Roocksmith: one to set a point to Nov. 26 and when that failed to restore Windows 10 back to where it
is today. To me the basic problem is that Windows Device Manager sees my Axe, but the audio settings for some reason does not. The audio setting only recognizes my monitor and my octa capture device.

There seems to be some kind of conflict in the Device Manager regarding the USB driver. The AXE II is listed twice, once under XMOS USB 2.0 Audio Device: Device Type: XMOS USB 2.0 Audio Devices;Manufacturer: Fractal Audio Systems;
Location: Port_#0001.Hub_#0003; Device Status: This device is working properly.
The second listing is under the heading: Other Devices. Manufacturer: Unknown; Location Port_001.Hub_#003.
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device. To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Im going to post this, then delete the Other Devices entry and reboot. And see if the device is gone or reappears on startup.

So the Other AXE II device reappears on startup. No surprise there. I tried moving my USB cable to other ports on the computer. All port ackowledge when I plug in. I plugged the usb cable into
two different ports on my monitor. Windows does not recognize them.

Riight now, my axe plays as before I made the changes dictated by the AXE>Rocksmith tutorial, with the exception of Axe Edit. And the only changes I made were plugging the Rocksmith cable into
Output 2 of the AXE, and setting the Output 2 Echo mode to Output 1. I have since changed that setting back to None.

When I played Rocksmith thru the AXE, there was so much noise that eventually I gave up and switched all the cables back to pre tutorial setup. I play Rocksmith thru my monitor, and I play
the axe thru the usb. It all works, except that I'm disconnected from Axe Edit. Is there anything
in the I//O settings I should check?

Thanks bud. I hate to be such a pain.

Last edited:
Yay!!! Got it working! Many thanks to Black Bitch and her(?) post of 2017. The cause was simply my incorrectly uninstalling the drivers. What a relief.

Back
Top Bottom