Axe-Edit 3.12.2 Released

Here's a workaround if you're connected to Axe-Edit with a USB cable. Install the Orban Loudness Meter: http://www.orban.com/orban/meter/

Once Installed, open it and go to the Settings tab
* Under Startup > Autostart, select On, or else you will always have to hit the button at the bottom of the main window to enable the meters
* Under Audio > Audio Device, at the middle of the list under Input select Line (Axe-Fx)
* Under Display > Meter Range, select EBU +18 Scale
* Click on the Meters tab and you will now see the meters move as you play through the Axe-Fx II
* On the bottom 2 meters, when the signal reaches -10 dBFS, that's the same as the 0 dB line on the Axe-Fx II Utility VU meter
* You can re-size the window, so you can put it next to Axe-Edit even on a small laptop screen

I personally think the Orban Loudness Meter is much easier on the eyes than trying to look at the Axe-Fx II VU meters but it would be cool if they could be integrated into Axe-Edit, so we wouldn't have to keep looking at 2 different screens.

Confirm.
Very good solution.

I use it for more than a year.
You can configure it to work exactly like the VU-meter in the AxeFx.
Fortunately, they have updated the app.
So it's compatible even with macOS Sierra ;-)

Confirm.
Very good solution.

I use it for more than a year.
You can configure it to work exactly like the VU-meter in the AxeFx.
Fortunately, they have updated the app.
So it's compatible even with macOS Sierra ;-)
Or, if you have Reaper already installed, you can use the VU meter in that program. That's what I do.

Or, if you have Reaper already installed, you can use the VU meter in that program. That's what I do.

That's correct, if you can configure it to work equivalent with the Axe-VU.
I like Orban, 'cause it's a small app, easy to configure and I don't need a DAW.
In Ardour, which I use, I would have to change the VU-parameters/configuration
to force the DAW-VU to show me the same values as the AxeFx-VU does.

But you're right; there are a many options to solve the problem ;-)

Kind regards
Mike

Reaper isn't free but Orban is. You can use many different programs or plugins that have meters but I found Orban to be super easy to use because it's only a loudness meter and you can re-size it, which you can't do in most DAW's or plugins.

I know a lot of people keep using Reaper after the evaluation period has expired but they should pay for it because the creator is nice enough to trust users and not implement any annoying copy protection.

Running 3.12.2.....confirmed that the double click behavior is off. Also, the X/Y buttons seem to have disappeared?

it never ceases to amaze me how some people cannot spend a minute or 2 reading an entire thread lol

Reaper isn't free but Orban is. You can use many different programs or plugins that have meters but I found Orban to be super easy to use because it's only a loudness meter and you can re-size it, which you can't do in most DAW's or plugins.

I know a lot of people keep using Reaper after the evaluation period has expired but they should pay for it because the creator is nice enough to trust users and not implement any annoying copy protection.
Are you implying something? I actually own Reaper as do a LOT of forum members.

Running 3.12.2.....confirmed that the double click behavior is off. Also, the X/Y buttons seem to have disappeared?

The actual best setting is
- firmware Q 6.03.1 (or Q 6.02, but it makes no difference except of the new features)
- edit 3.12.0

It works for me and it complies to what Michael Pickens did say.
We have to wait, until Axe-Edit 3.12.3 is out!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Also, aren't the meters in Reaper VU ballistics and not an apparent loudness algo like Orban and the Fractal meters?

Are you implying something? I actually own Reaper as do a LOT of forum members.

Sorry I wasn't trying to sound negative towards you. I meant it to be a disclaimer for noobs that haven't used Reaper before but might try it out because of your suggestion to use it as a level meter. For $60 you really can't go wrong with Reaper as a DAW.

Also, aren't the meters in Reaper VU ballistics and not an apparent loudness algo like Orban and the Fractal meters?

I'm still very new to Reaper (Trying to get away from Cakewalk SONAR) but I think it has selectable (LUFS) Loudness Meters, VU, RMS and Peak meters but you might have to install one of the SWS Extension scripts.

None I'm aware of, Axe edit was the issue, AFAIK, beleive me you don't want to chance the dreaded 6.02 crash bug.

Here's a workaround if you're connected to Axe-Edit with a USB cable. Install the Orban Loudness Meter: http://www.orban.com/orban/meter/

Once Installed, open it and go to the Settings tab
* Under Startup > Autostart, select On, or else you will always have to hit the button at the bottom of the main window to enable the meters
* Under Audio > Audio Device, at the middle of the list under Input select Line (Axe-Fx)
* Under Display > Meter Range, select EBU +18 Scale
* Click on the Meters tab and you will now see the meters move as you play through the Axe-Fx II
* On the bottom 2 meters, when the signal reaches -10 dBFS, that's the same as the 0 dB line on the Axe-Fx II Utility VU meter
* You can re-size the window, so you can put it next to Axe-Edit even on a small laptop screen

I personally think the Orban Loudness Meter is much easier on the eyes than trying to look at the Axe-Fx II VU meters but it would be cool if they could be integrated into Axe-Edit, so we wouldn't have to keep looking at 2 different screens.

Thanks @GotMetalBoy for sharing. I've installed it yesterday, followed your instructions…nice software :)

Back
Top Bottom