Axe-Edit 3.1.8 Won't Run - Reported as not a 32-bit App in WinXP

OddManOut

Inspired
I downloaded Axe-Edit 3.1.8 last night (automatically from AE 3.1.5 - nice feature!) and attempted to run it. When it attempted to run, Windows XP (w/SP3) claimed that "...this app is not a 32-bit app..." (paraphrasing the dialog box because I'm at work right now). First off - is this true? Should it run on XP or not? If it should, is it possible that the wrong version was downloaded? Anyone else using XP experience this? Anyway, I reinstalled 3.1.5 and I was free to edit again. BTW, I currently have FW 18.01 loaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:D

My new AE runs perfect on my XP. You must have picked the wrong version.
Pick the XP version. It's for both 32 and 64 bit.

Last edited:
Hmmm...interesting. As I mentioned, I didn't pick anything - I let AE 3.1.5 go get the latest version. I guess it's selection algorithm doesn't check to see the version of Windows that is currently running - just picks the latest. Good to know that there's a version for XP. Thanks!

Hmmm...interesting. As I mentioned, I didn't pick anything - I let AE 3.1.5 go get the latest version. I guess it's selection algorithm doesn't check to see the version of Windows that is currently running...

Either that or there's a bug in the auto-update code and it picked the wrong version.

XP, I thought I was behind the times...I'm running Vista. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I haven't used the new auto-update feature yet. I always go to the download page, download and install it manually.

It won't auto-update correctly if you're running XP. You have to download the correct one and manually install.

And...if I could read a f'ing web page I'd have seen there's an XP download right below the Vista download. Sorry OP! Carry on....

When it attempted to run, Windows XP (w/SP3) claimed that "...this app is not a 32-bit app..."

Wow guys... Support for XP expired nearly a year ago. This is my field of expertise and cannot believe there are not any security concerns that you would have with browsing the internet using that device/OS...

It was a solid OS, but we're talking like an AFX Standard with Axe-Edit 0.9.191 style thinking. I would suggest for your personal security, upgrade your OS and computer hardware. Software vendors [along with FAS] can no longer assume that XP is a packaging requirement for software.

EDIT: Link to XP Axe-Edit <- But FAS loves you guys anyways!!

Wow guys... Support for XP expired nearly a year ago. This is my field of expertise and cannot believe there are not any security concerns that you would have with browsing the internet using that device/OS...

It was a solid OS, but we're talking like an AFX Standard with Axe-Edit 0.9.191 style thinking. I would suggest for your personal security, upgrade your OS and computer hardware. Software vendors [along with FAS] can no longer assume that XP is a packaging requirement for software.

EDIT: Link to XP Axe-Edit <- But FAS loves you guys anyways!!

There's are multiple things keeping me from upgrading my PCs: A 16 year old who needed car insurance and gas money, and who will need another car this spring; the nearly $500 it cost me for him to run track (and now his food intake just about doubled); stagnant wages; a 12 year old that loves to make things (and guess who's buying the materials); bills, bills and more bills...

It won't auto-update correctly if you're running XP. You have to download the correct one and manually install.

Thanks Jakel, I downloaded the XP version and all is good. I'm running 18.03 with AE 3.1.8.

As far as running XP is concerned, I haven't been able to make up my mind which OS to transition to. I'm a long time ProTools user and have a lot of song files that I don't want to lose. Not to mention that I have a ton of music software that I will need to transition to the new OS. I use Win7 at work (Engineering work) and feel that it is just fine but it is already long in the tooth and thus I'm apprehensive to go to Win7 because I'll have to repeat this exercise before long.I haven't heard one good thing about Win8 so I'm not happy going there. I know ProTools will likely run better on MacOS but I have concerns about losing so much data and apps going from Windows to Mac. And then there's all that work to make the transition. So, I'm caught in limbo - not making a decision to move forward. Modern problems - could be worse.

Back
Top Bottom