Axe-Edit 0.9 or 1.0 not starting on Windows XP SP3

pd2020

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been covered on another thread, but I have an Ultra (firmware v11) and have an old retired PC lying around that I thought would be useful as a dedicated editor for the Ultra. The thing is Axe Edit, whether version 0.9 or 1.0 just doesn't seem to like it for some reason. It installs fine, but when you click on it the application just doesn't open. Tried uninstalling and deleting Fractal folders etc, different versions, the same deal: installs but doesn't open. Am yet to try a full windows XP reinstall which seems like a big exercise for the chance on such a small bit of software, but I'm out of ideas.

I have an old laptop running XP Pro that I was able to get Axe Edit successfully working on to do a firmware update, but ideally I don't want to have to use/take that into the studio all the time.
Any clues / ideas would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Have you run all the XP updates? I run Axe-Edit on Windows 10 with very little issues, you could just try using it on a modern system? Are you using a direct USB to MIDI cable?

Have you run all the XP updates? I run Axe-Edit on Windows 10 with very little issues, you could just try using it on a modern system? Are you using a direct USB to MIDI cable?

Thanks for your suggestion......as well as on the laptop I've got Axe Edit working on another system in the studio, but I use that for other midi duties when I'm working (synths etc).....I've got this other old XP machine sitting around in the studio and thought I'd re-purpose it as a dedicated axe fx editor. Issue is that when Axe Edit is running using a particular device you can't use the same interface drivers for another program running at the same time such as a DAW....you can do one or the other, but when I'm tracking I want to fiddle with sounds on the fly. Yes I suppose other option is to use a different/separate dedicated interface just for Axe Edit, but the benefit of having a separate machine means having a dedicated screen for axe edit up at the same time...it's workflow thing.....

I was just curious as to whether other people had had similar issues with it installing ok but not opening as that's weird program behaviour.
Not sure about what exact XP updates are installed as it's an offline machine

No I haven't tried using a direct USB to MIDI cable - midi is coming in via a Tascam US428 interface with midi - it seems to be connecting OK with that as I was able to use that to update the firmware from 10 to 11 the other day from the laptop. I'm guessing it's something to do with that particular windows XP system install. Yes likely some sort of update patch thingy but who knows.

If your XP machine is in a state from many years ago, it's lost out on a number of years of drivers/OS updates that could be the catalyst of your issues.

There was an issue with the original axe edit software. It would not run on certain CPU's... I think it might have been AMD. Anyway, when I got a newer computer (A7V8x motherboard winXP OS) it would not work on it. I had to use the OLDER K7v mother board with win XP and it would work.
I have since lost or given away the old cpu and I just logged in here to see if there was a solution I could find. I know there was an old beta kind of fix for this problem but I have not found the download link yet.

Back
Top Bottom