AXE Directly Into FX Return - What Amp and Settings are You Using?

JRod4928

Power User
Trying to gauge what physical amps most people are using when running the AXE directly into the physical amp FX Return, in order to bypass the preamp stage so you can use AXE amp modeling. Also do you turn off Power Amp Sims with your particular amp when you do this? Also wondering if anyone attempted this with a specific amp and got poor results due to non-transparent power amp or whatever.

Personally I use...

5150 LBX II 15 Watt w/ a 1x12 CAB
Power Amp Sims ON
CAB sims are off

I tried this once in my ODS build with an external effects loop (Dumbleator) tapped right into the entrance to the power amp.
It sounded like crap.

Plugged into an old Adcom amp I had nearby and it sounded fine. I think even guitar power amps that are designed to be relatively flat and undistorted are not.

I have tried it a few time with the jp2c . it works but the difference between models is not like for real. I imagine that running a head gives a global color. I mean when I put a marshall in the axe in the fx loop of the jp2c, it has a boogie flavor and dont sound like I am pluging a jcm800 in my cab . But it works yes .

Another resurrection of an old thread.

I use an EVH 5153 50w Stealth. It works very, very well. Power amp modeling on; cabs off.

I've had all three 50w heads as well as a 50w combo and they're all great for this application imo.

FWIW, their loops are not tube-buffered. I'm not sure if this--in combination with a tube power section--is what makes them work so well for me but other amps I've tried haven't sound/felt quite as good. That's not to say other amps sounded bad though . They (mostly) sounded quite good but the 5153 50w amps seems especially well suited for the Fractal gear.

I use my Axe into the fx return of my Carol Ann Tucana, a..nd it depends on the amp model as to whether or not I leave the power amp modeling on. The Tucana power section is a couple of KT-88s, and the amp is freaking loud with the power amp turned up, so I usually have it sitting somewhere around 11 if I really want to rattle the windows, so it's not contributing a lot of gain... so if it's a model of an amp where to preamp in contributing most of the drive, I'll leave it off and let the Tucana do it's thing. If it's an amp that has to have the power section working to sound and feel right, I'll leave it on- say an AC30, or tweed deluxe, etc.
I don't have golden ears, nor am I trying to perfectly replicate anything- if it sounds/feels good, it is good, so experiment for sure. Personally, I've been really happy with the Tucana power section with other amp models. Even sounds good down low.

Last edited:
Music Room: Ax3 > FxRtn of Blackstar HT and/or H and K TM - poweramp sims on because I play at low volume so those heads' power sections are not cooking much + their inherent colorations are not much so modelled coloration can show thru. Cab sims off since I'm using real cabs with those amp heads.

Another mode:
Ax3 > FxRtn of Blackstar HT and/or H and K TM but using attenuators with attenuated line outs back into Axfx and then monitored via FR Cabs or FRFR (cab sims on). PowerAmp sims off since the tube heads power sections are now cooking with their own character.

Driftwood purple nightmare at the moment, out of all my amps. The driftwood has the best power section I’ve ever heard outside of VHT/fryette. Leave cab and power amp modeling off always. Does not sound right at all with power amp modeling on that’s for sure. I keep the rumble and presence at about 3 o’clock and bam. Absolutely insane. Ever hear the 5F8 through a big power amp and a recto 4x12? It sounds absolutely freaking insane, and still like a fender tweed twin. But on steroids.

Back
Top Bottom