Axe Change/Import Issue - OK NOW

Brian Coonan

Power User
Was trying to audition some things from the Axe Change today and every time I went to audition a preset my FC12 MKII went into some type of failsafe mode and I had to unplug the XLR to get it back. Tried multiple cables and got the same thing. Not a huge deal but odd - wondering if anyone else is seeing that.

This is on a Axe Fx III running 19.06 and the FC12 MK II running version 1.12 (MKII version). It happened on anything I went to audition but these were a couple I tried:

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 4.51.25 PM.png

EDIT: I just tried importing a preset from one that was downloaded and it also caused the issue. FC12 says Fractal Audio Failsafe v0.02. Also to note I just installed this version of the FC firmware today. Also getting the Failsafe message when in Manage Presets and just deleting a preset.

Last edited:
I thought there was something changed in one of the firmware updates somewhat recently that make presets from much older firmware versions unusable. I'll have to dig back through the release notes and see what it was.

I thought there was something changed in one of the firmware updates somewhat recently that make presets from much older firmware versions unusable. I'll have to dig back through the release notes and see what it was.
I must have missed that - I’ll try importing/auditioning some from newer firmware. I was able to import it, save it, then unplug the FC12 and plug it back in and it worked as normal then. Probably that though - firmware compatibility. Thanks for the lead on something to try.

Found it. It was an issue with Axe Edit, not presets. Older versions of Axe Edit won't communicate with the Axe III once you're on 19.06 or higher, so that's likely not related.

NOTE: Starting with firmware 19.06, Axe-Edit III 1.11.00 (or greater) is required to communicate with the Axe-Fx III.

Those Burgs presets all worked fine for me on 19.06 when auditioning from AxeChange in Axe Edit. My FC-12 (also on 1.12) is the Mk 1 version though, so perhaps it's something specific to the Mk II version FW and older presets.

Well I just exported a preset from my current Axe, got the same error when I reimported it. Very odd. Going to try and reinstall the firmware and see if that fixes it. When I tried to reload 1.12 for the Mark II FC - I got that Failsafe error immediately. Said it was complete and to restart the connected device. After that everything was back to normal. Maybe there was just a glitch when I loaded the firmware initially. Glad it's good now though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom