Axe as soundcard - seperating DAW track from Axe guitar track

Ripley

I've been recording some tracks with a friend, his preference is to have the drums in particular very loud in comparison to the guitar track being recorded. If I turn the drum track up to a sufficient level in the DAW (Cubase), the output from the Axe will clip. If I turn the guitar output from the Axe down to leave headroom for the drums, the recorded level of the guitar is low. All IO settings are stock, I.e. there is no Pad or boost on any channel, presets are levelled at 0dB using the Axe utility meter as standard.
My problem seems to be that no matter what I do, I can't separate the live guitar track from the already recorded track in the DAW, the two will always be together from output 1.
I know I can set up the Axe so that that only the guitar track will come from output 2, but is there a way to set up the axe so that the DAW track only will come from output 1, and the live guitar track from output 2 (or vice versa)?
Is there another way I can separate the live guitar track from the DAW playback track without using another soundcard?

You're wanting separate control of monitored and recorded guitar level while monitoring everything from Output 1, correct?

Set in I/O menu:

Output 2 Echo = Output 1

USB/Digi Out Source = Output 2

Then use global Out 1 EQ gain slider to reduce monitored guitar volume without affecting recorded level. To get the equivalent of going beyond -12 dB, reduce level in preset (e.g. amp or output block) and increase Out 2 global EQ gain.

Alternatively the global EQ adjustments could be skipped, controlling Output 1 Volume instead. This only affects output level of grid signals, not USB DAW playback.

Also, you are recording in 24 bits, which means that low levels are not a problem in the slightest, you have 144db of range available.

Back
Top Bottom