Axe and acoustic guitar

Shredder3386

Inspired
So I know this topic has been covered before, but I have a specific question about using the Axefx with acoustic. Recently I wanted to start adding acoustic guitar to my cleans when recording to give them that Opeth/Mastodon/Sabbath vibe, and I wasn't sure how to approach it as my acoustic does not have a pickup. I have been entertaining the idea of getting a soundhole pickup like this Seymour Duncan SA-35C Woody HC Hum-Canceling Acoustic Soundhole Pickup - Natural | Sweetwater.com but I wasn't sure how compatible that would be with the Axe. Would I just plug the soundhole pickup in to the Axefx, then use the TubePre or something similiar ro record? I don't need a sparkling tone or anything, just something to give ambiance/layers to the song. Thanks for any input on the subject.

It's completely compatible with the Axe-Fx. It's essentially a humbucker pickup like you'd find on an electric guitar. It won't exactly give you an acoustic-guitar tone, but it if you're okay with that, it might be what you're looking for.

Awesome, thanks for the advice and clarification Rex. I figure thats probably my best option. I don't own a mic and the axefx is my sole interface, so getting an authentic mic'd tone might not be in the cards for a while. Thanks man.

Glad to help.

Another option is to get an aftermarket piezo pickup. It'll take some cutting, and you might want a shop to do it for you, but it'll sound more acoustic-y.

Ya Im in the process of building a home studio, so I think I might invest in a quality interface and grab a few condenser mics one of these days. I guess the beauty of the Axefx is I haven't needed any of these things yet haha.

If you want real acoustic tone I would stay away from piezo pickups get a clamp on Mic (condenser) a clamp on mic will sound more realistic also sit better in the mix in most cases IMHO

For recording, you'll get a much better tone out of a mic. Just put a mic in front of the guitar, run it into a small mixer, and then run a 1/4" out from there into the Axe. You can do some processing of the sound in the Axe, but it might not be necessary, especially since you can do that in your DAW.

If you want real acoustic tone I would stay away from piezo pickups get a clamp on Mic (condenser) a clamp on mic will sound more realistic also sit better in the mix in most cases IMHO
It's a matter of application. Mics will give you a truer sound, but they can be harder to control or impractical in a live situation.

Back
Top Bottom