AXE 8 VS. Helix GAME Over!!!

I understand. I actually broke down and ordered a Mastermind GT22. It's going to take some work to learn a new controller, but the editor seems very easy to use (as MFC Edit, and I believe the other one as well).

There's a lot of flexibility offered on the AX8 that I wish was in the MFC-101. Being able to program switches per preset is huge! Having a separate screen for the switches is a good work around. I don't think anyone here will complain if an advanced MFC controller is in the works with updated features. And, if the AX8 does as well as expected, an advanced version of that with more switches and scribble screens. Who knows? The possibilities are really only limited by the marketplace.

Really, I only need the AX8. I could have, should have probably waited.

I'd still like the scribble strips while I'm gigging. My memory isn't what used to be. Actually, it never was. How much is a liquid foot? ;-)

You got me on the Ax8 sounding like the AxeFx. I guess I know how it sounds. Still, haven't heard the helix.

I have a Liquid Foot. The LCD screens on the buttons are awesome. I'm starting to get a bit further sighted than I used to be, but since there's over six feet between my eyes and my toes that's nowhere near reading-glasses-distance. No problem there.

Also the LF has me spoiled. You can program EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE. And use two functions on one button, have a button that changes the functions of all the other buttons on the face... Then there is setlist programming, song programming, etc. The control is unparalleled. If only my imagination could keep up... And if it would all just simply work... I do seem to be imaginative enough to keep running into things that don't work as expected. But we got most of them ironed out by now.

So going back to a limited system is something to consider. I haven't seen how it works on the Ax8 so will have to wait and see. I'd probably have to go into song based presets controlled with scenes and give up the more detailed block controls. With 90+ songs that's a chore to program. Will the Ax8 have setlist programming?

Having a floor unit would be awesome for me, though. It would eliminate my cumbersome rack bag. Hookup and transport to the car would be cut in half. I now still need to walk two times because it just won't fit in one.

Dual guitar bag on my back, pedaltrain soft case on my side, one 8" floor monitor in each hand. Done.

That's a very true statement. They won't know until they physically hear it side by side. I posted the announcement on Facebook the other day, and I had a couple of friends, who wanted nothing to do with the technology before, are now interested. I really believe its because of the Price point. They have heard the quality, listening to me play over the years, so they know that piece of it already. Once I get mine, I will be doing the Church hop, inviting myself to different churchs, I know the majority of worship pastors in the area, and doing the demo for them. Let them touch it and play it, let them hear it with their PA. I'll just send them the LINK to the wait list. They really need a church representative that can do this on weekends, after you play you got about 30 to 45 minutes of their attention before they have to start the next service. Plenty of time. Better yet, find out what the song list is for that weekend and program the thing with a song per preset and give him a twenty minute instructional lesson and let him physically use it that day. Perfect!!!

Our jobs as fractalites is to spread the word, let the world know what a killer product this is.
I'm having the weirdest mental images right now...

[Scott in suit on bicycle]
"Good morning pastor. Do you have a minute to talk about our tonal savior, Cliff?"

In all seriousness though, if you do that, you need to do it out of Dallas. Not only do we have a billion churches (not counting the fast food chicken places) with a gazillion church people, but there's a huge seminary here... get them early so they "spread the word" wherever it is they end up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will be doing the Church hop, inviting myself to different churchs, I know the majority of worship pastors in the area, and doing the demo for them. Let them touch it and play it, let them hear it with their PA. I'll just send them the LINK to the wait list. They really need a church representative that can do this on weekends, after you play you got about 30 to 45 minutes of their attention before they have to start the next service. Plenty of time. Better yet, find out what the song list is for that weekend and program the thing with a song per preset and give him a twenty minute instructional lesson and let him physically use it that day. Perfect!!!

I would find that...awkward...if someone came to my church trying to sell me on gear between services. I'd be afraid someone might grab a bunch of cables and make a whip, overturn tables, etc. :)

Seriously, it'd be a bit strange.

I would find that...awkward...if someone came to my church trying to sell me on gear between services. I'd be afraid someone might grab a bunch of cables and make a whip, overturn tables, etc. :)

Seriously, it'd be a bit strange.

Maybe that's true. I guess it came to me because I know that my worship director is looking for something for the other guitar players to use, because I'll play it will sound pristine and gorgeous and the following weekend the guy will plug into some amp with a pedal board and have to change delay settings between songs, and they don't give us a lot of time between songs, so it runs smooth one weekend and the other not so much.

me personally I have played a lot of church's in the valley, so I know a lot of people. My point is that an Ax8 is direct to consumer, they don't know until they hear it for themselves. I'm more then happy to pop over, and demonstrate, what it can do.

The church market is huge for PA systems, lighting systems, amplifiers/modelers. It's just a market you don't ignore. Grant it amplifier/ modeler manufactures don't usually do this, but I say why not. Missed opportunity.

Boss/Roland used to have a worship thing going, so I guess it's not unheard of. They don't come to your church on Sunday, though. :) Transition times, tell me about them! Zero time between songs, we just flow right into the next one. That's why I love using a digital MFX/modeler. Everything programmed out ahead of time. No tap dancing or bending over.

Tried my Brothers Helix- spent enough time to figure out how all the settings work and tweaked it for several hours (played it thru my system). Game over! He will return it Monday.

Last edited:
Zero time between songs, we just flow right into the next one. That's why I love using a digital MFX/modeler. Everything programmed out ahead of time. No tap dancing or bending over.

Yeah, I have like three seconds before the drummer clicks on the next click track. Talk about stressful any other way. They do it, but it does not sound convincing, delays are way off. For instance this weekend dotted 8th for the first song at 140 bpm at 40% wet parallel, second song 101 bpm 96% parallel, third song delay is buried in the sound no tempo 500% rate 70% mix parallel. song four same thing delay buried in there. You can't do that with pedals, when you have 3 seconds to change preset and take off a capo. for some reason these guys love being capoed at the third fret a lot. I complain, but I love it.

The sounds available on youtube from Helix.. IMHO are the same sound/kind of effects from HD500 and M13..

So I'll ontinue with my AxeFx2 Mark I and my FX-8..
The only piece of gear that some how atract me was the one we can't say here in the forum (because of the fan boys).
The reason the atract me?
Is the FAs dont have a lot of love for us bass player and I think that the amp/cabs for bass are weak..

Tried my Brothers Helix- spent enough time to figure out how all the settings work and tweaked it for several hours (played it thru my system). Game over! He will return it Monday.

Can you elaborate, please? What was so inferior compared to the helix?

You might prefer this?

Well I guess the included foot pedal was a waste :? Perhaps he didn't want us to see the messy floor, ya know how you notice all that background stuff in videos :playful:

This person may indeed have saved themselves $100 with the AX8 [is the Helix even powered up in the video?]

Back
Top Bottom