AXE 8 VS. Helix GAME Over!!!

Shouldn't have looked into this thread. Just learned about the new Helix LT and suffered from a short rush of GAS.

Pro's over AX8:
- cheaper (okay, doesn't really matter, as I would not want to sell my AX8)
- headphones out (which used to be loud enough for me in the X3 Live without additional headphone amp)
- built in expression pedal (I really like the idea of a compact unit without additional pedals & wires)
- usb audio interface (that's the major pro, right after headphones)
- bigger and nicer display (probably easier to edit on the fly)

Con's:
- driver/SW support was not nearly as good or long for products I owned from this company (the gear was partly useless without software supporting new OS releases)
- I'm not convinced that Line6 commitment to best in class modelling and algorithms is even close to that at fractal
- I'm not shure if the Helix community is as knowledgable and supportive, as it's here

Pew, nearly cured...

Shouldn't have looked into this thread. Just learned about the new Helix LT and suffered from a short rush of GAS.

Pro's over AX8:
- cheaper (okay, doesn't really matter, as I would not want to sell my AX8)
- headphones out (which used to be loud enough for me in the X3 Live without additional headphone amp)
- built in expression pedal (I really like the idea of a compact unit without additional pedals & wires)
- usb audio interface (that's the major pro, right after headphones)
- bigger and nicer display (probably easier to edit on the fly)

Con's:
- driver/SW support was not nearly as good or long for products I owned from this company (the gear was partly useless without software supporting new OS releases)
- I'm not convinced that Line6 commitment to best in class modelling and algorithms is even close to that at fractal
- I'm not shure if the Helix community is as knowledgable and supportive, as it's here

Pew, nearly cured...

Don't bet on it. I'm sure L6 pockets are pretty deep and from what I gather they are "all in" with the Helix. Just look how far they've come in a year, from guys not liking it to those same guys now owning one and touting the amp tones. It's no secret that Fractal's commitment to amp tone and effects quality is top tier, but I'm also sure other companies want that same respect and are working towards it.

I had ignored my Helix for the better part of a year and a half, didn't even update the firmware until the recent update. But I have to say, it's come a long way. With the same IR, I put an A/B box in front of it and the AX8 and dialed up my go-to AC30 sound. With some work, I was able to match it on the Helix to the point where I even got confused and started to tweak the wrong unit. I also dialed up a Friedman BE type sound on the Helix that was remarkably close (using the Archon model), to the point where I'd choose either unit.

That's not to say it was easy. It took me a bit of work to get there, and some tweaking of the Helix's "deep" parameters. It is in no way as plug and play as the AX8 where you just drop in an amp, cab, reverb, and you're ready to go with almost zero tweaking. But I don't feel that the title of this thread is accurate anymore. It isn't "game over", not that simple. They are both capable units, each with their own strengths. 4CM is one of the Helix's strengths, as is UI simplicity. I still feel the AX8 has the edge in the amp modeling department, but it's not so clear cut anymore.

Anyway, keeping it real here. Let's not get too complacent. Competition in this space is a good thing, and I get the feeling Cliff thrives on it.

Well put. Helix is night and day from when this thread started. I think what separates the Fractal units is the shear amount of different amps. If you want a BE in the Helix, you have to work to get it, if you want it in the Fractal unit, you just pull it up.

Everyone knows the Helix can sound quite good. There's no denying the quality of some of the clips.

But as Karl said, getting the Helix to sound as good is way more work. I don't about the rest of you but I'm lazy and would much rather play than tweak. With the Fractal platform, my days of digging deep and endlessly tweaking parametric EQs and adding compressors and other things that I didn't really want are over.

People constantly dismiss having the large selection of seemingly similar amps in the Fractal units. Sure, maybe you can make a Plexi sound like a Badger with enough time and effort. But it's simpler to just pick the Badger. And if I don't know exactly what I want, being able to spin through a variety of amps can be inspiring on its own. One of my goto presets is one of the Hook amps with the default settings except for output level.

Having said that, scribble strips and a nice big screen would be sweet,

Oh, and the Helix has a Klon. Just sayin'...

And everyone always forgets the Fractal internal controllers. That is still one thing that nobody else is doing. There's no way to create a (reverse) ducking phase shifter, flanger or chorus on a Helix and that is way cooler than you might think.

Hey Boyz.......

I've been M.I.A. due to a lot of new gigs, 2-bands & thanks to Fractal Audio & my AX8, A LOT of new TUBE AMPS (friedman Runt 50, Carvin Legacy-3 & Mesa Boodige TC-50)! :eek:

Yes, the AX8 actually made me try out a series of EL34 based tube amps....& that led me to the STELLAR FX8!!!!!!! That's a story for another day & another thread! ;)

So.....I'm back to messing around w/ my AX8, but now with a much better understanding of the unit itself.....& tube amps!!!!!! I think it's very easy to be overwhelmed & not truly understand any of these units when you 1st get them. Every time I think I "Get it", I learn more & just laugh as my tone/FX get better due to my new understanding, testing & trials. It's amazing what a Raw tube amp sounds like on its own. A real tube amp can sound stellar & like crap with a few twists of a knob. The detail that the Fractal Amp modeling matches the tube amps that they model still shock me! This level of detail & Fractals constant determination to never settle & support their units is what has made me a life long customer & user.

I don't buy products based on Famous Artist endorsements, but it does make me stand-up and take notice. My favorite Pro guitar players use Fractal Audio & they can choose anything that they want to at all! It may be over-kill, but it's FUN to have the same unit as Steve Vai, Neil Zaza, Guthrie Govan, Mark Day, Steve Stevens, Tremonti, Lifeson.......& so on...........& so on......

This community is also just stellar to me! I don't use it as much as I did in the beginning, but It's nice to know all of these smart/cool users are here & waiting to help me/us out if I need it.

The Fractal staff is on another level.......& I've only witnessed this a handful of other places! Matt, Cliff, Mark (etc) have all answered my questions...........& even done this on their private time. If I wasn't satisfied with the tones, service or product, I would just move on.......

I get more then I need from Fractal, more then I paid for....& probably more then I deserve as a guitar shredder wanna be! :rolleyes:

There will always be other great/new products that come along, but there is only one Fractal Audio Systems! I am a fan-boy based on all of this..............& happy to have all of these quality products at my finger tips!

I wish any other company good luck & success because it only helps to inspire the Fractal Team to stay the course, be innovative & grow their brand.

Peace! X-Mann

Last edited:
I got an AX8 and a Helix LT this weekend and should decide which one goes.
And I think it was pretty easy to choose one.
AX8 stays and Helix LT goes.
Helix looks cooler but it still has that 'signature Line 6 fizziness' which borthers my ear.
Maybe I can tweak the Helix to remove that. But I'm a kind of plug and play guy.
So for me AX8 wins! And maybe I'll get a Helix as a backup one day???

Back
Top Bottom