Axe 3 with art fx-15?

Ed Rogers

I have the axe 3 inbound, thinking about foot controls reminded me that I have an Art fx-15 ultrafoot. I dusted it of, looks like everything works. I am hoping to have some simple controls. Maybe preset changes and effects on/off. I haven’t done anything midi since the 90’s. Really didn’t enjoy it back then, but for an interim before the foot controllers are available, thought I’d try.
Are there any big hurdles that I will have to overcome? Is it even doable? Looks like it will work for really simple controls? Thanks, Ed

Also you should check if it works fine with wireless systems.
Back then (in the last century?) when I tried one it scrambled my own signal and some of the band. Maybe my unit was damaged and for sure you use different frequencies for wireless transmitters today...but who knows, better check it.

Also you should check if it works fine with wireless systems.
Back then (in the last century?) when I tried one it scrambled my own signal and some of the band. Maybe my unit was damaged and for sure you use different frequencies for wireless transmitters today...but who knows, better check it.
The ART X-15 midi controller pedal was interfering with your wireless?

I have the axe 3 inbound, thinking about foot controls reminded me that I have an Art fx-15 ultrafoot. I dusted it of, looks like everything works. I am hoping to have some simple controls. Maybe preset changes and effects on/off. I haven’t done anything midi since the 90’s. Really didn’t enjoy it back then, but for an interim before the foot controllers are available, thought I’d try.
Are there any big hurdles that I will have to overcome? Is it even doable? Looks like it will work for really simple controls? Thanks, Ed

That's actually what I use, while I wait for the new FC controllers.
I put it in "effects mode" and use it mostly for looper and scene increment/decrement controls. And of course the 2 expression pedals for wah or volume, etc.

That's actually what I use, while I wait for the new FC controllers.
I put it in "effects mode" and use it mostly for looper and scene increment/decrement controls. And of course the 2 expression pedals for wah or volume, etc.
That’s what I’m looking to use it for. I haven’t used it for years, don’t even remember what I had it hooked up to. Hoping it still works..... powers up fine. Just scene or preset changes and effects on and off would be great for now. I got rid of my AX8, and never got too crazy with setting up functions for the buttons on it. Really hoping the new fc controllers will integrate as well as they are intended to.

The ART X-15 midi controller pedal was interfering with your wireless?

Yes, how did you know?
There where the pedal is mounted is a breach in the hull and that's where the interference came out. I even could hunt the problem down to that point. I could have created something to stop the interference (some kind of metal parts or foil or such), but instead I just sold it on and bought something else.

Yes, how did you know?
There where the pedal is mounted is a breach in the hull and that's where the interference came out. I even could hunt the problem down to that point. I could have created something to stop the interference (some kind of metal parts or foil or such), but instead I just sold it on and bought something else.
Just relative to what you posted... That's crazy.

Hi everyone, just checking back with a progress update. It works, but, not after a lot of hair pulling.

To start off with, setting up preset changes, push setup, enter midi/remote, page to general, under pc configuration set program change to “on”. This took me forever to figure out. Now, I can toggle up or down presets with the far left footswitches. I can only use the first 128 presets, will have to overwrite them to use with the controller for anything specific.

As far as pedals go, it works. The two expression pedals work fine, assignable, the 3 was easier to set up with these than the AX8. In effects mode, all I’ve done so far, you can set each footswitch up as you please. There are lots of options, you can really use this live and access what you need. Maybe not what you want, but it will be global settings, not per preset/scene/channel goodness.

Quality? That’s a tough question. I traded an old boss pedal for this many moons ago, so, my expectations aren’t that high. The buttons are weird, rubber things that are hard to tell if you hit them or not. The preset up/down buttons are too close to the right expression pedal/the next switch to fit my big feet on... But, my god, it’s probably thirty years old, and still works as good as it was supposed to? I actually think something like this would be a great addition to an fc-6. Use the fc to do the really good stuff, and this for expression pedals and toggling effects?
The axe3 learning cc#’s made it pretty slick.

I’m not done setting it up, but I’m impressed with the ability to use it with the 3. And, I believe it really taught me a lot about using the 3’s front panel controls/menu’s/options. So, in summary, I have a useable durable midi controller for my axe.

I'm assuming you're taliking about the X-15 (I've never seen or heard of an FX-15).

Yes, they work, they're tough, and they're reliable. You can send MIDI PC and CC messages as you like, but you can't send a CC message with a specific value other than 0 and 127. The footswitches are weird, and you have to stomp firmly, but they're sealed and rugged.

Some cool stuff about the X-15:

1) The built-in expression pedals use optical encoders. The pots will never get scratchy because there are no pots.

2) It's bulky, and ugly as sin. No one will ever steal it. :)

Last edited:
Yep... I hated the buttons on mine when I had it!

I'm VERY finicky about buttons on midi controllers now because of that.

Yes, the optical encoders are also very cool BUT they can very glitchy if they get dirty/dusty.

But those things are built like tanks!

I have 2 of them and love them. Mine is setup for Expression (WAH and Volume), Preset changes, effects on and off and scenes. It was a breeze, as I just copied what I did in my AXE II. It is impressive that it still works great after all these years. And they never get old. The rubber they used on the buttons is incredible, it never wears out. And the optical pedals are very smooth. I experience no delay as well. I may just keep using it, as I play live and don't need any other features on my pedal other than what I programmed.

Back
Top Bottom