Axe 2 w/ Wireless System + Best Tronics Audio Cables?

Muzick

Experienced
Top of the mornin' to you all :)

How many of you here use a wireless system with the Axe II? Additionally, do you notice any difference in sound wether positive or negative?

Next, I see that Best Tronics offers cables specifically made for the popular wireless lines. Has anyone tried them? Any noticeable improvements?

Lastly, do you recommend using a wireless system as far as reliablity is concerned?

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm using a Line6 Relay G30 wireless. I got this model before I was using any rack gear. If I were to do it now I'd proabably consider the G90, which is the rack version, but a little pricey at $600. The G30 is awesome, I was skeptical about wireless after hearing over the years about the problems other guys have had with analog systems, but the digital stuff is great... it's every bit as good as being on a cable. I've been gigging with it for about a year with no issues. The more expensive G50 and G90 I believe are metal as opposed to plastic. I highly recommend the Relay stuff.

One thing to add about cabling, IIRC the G30 uses a normal 1/4" cable to connect the guitar to the transmitter, which is convenient, but I believe the G50 and G90 use a special cable.

Last edited:
Love the Line6 digital wireless stuff... i use the rack mount, and it sounds great....better than cables,,, the only drawback is that it EATS batteries...

While I agree that digital wireless has many advantages over analog wireless units, I still think that a good cable sounds clearly superior to a wireless unit.
I tried a G50 out with the intention to buy it - I liked it for the freedom of movement on stage, but in the A/B (/C/D and so on) test I did between it and a few good cables the G50 was very easy to pick out as the weakest sounding and as the wireless system.
All IMHO of cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
Love the Line6 digital wireless stuff... i use the rack mount, and it sounds great....better than cables,,, the only drawback is that it EATS batteries...

I know words are generally terrible when describing the musiciality of something. But are there any you can share to describe how it's 'better'? :)

but in the A/B (/C/D and so on) test I did between it and a few good cables the G50 was very easy to pick out as the weakest sounding and as the wireless system.
All IMHO of cause.

Can you get any more specific on why you thought it was a negative impact?

Using the rack mount L6 G90.. pricey, yes (not a lot of extra features for the difference between it and the G30 IMHO) , but needed to be able to wander at gigs and listen to our sound, as we recently "down-sized" and RIF'ed our sound guy and reduced use of our big rig. Gig money in my area sucks right now and there's tons of 3 or 4 piece bands (and ankle-biters) out there scrambling for a slice of a small pie.
Speakers-on-sticks run from stage seem to be the norm, so we removed one "share" of the take, no longer set up the "full" rig with Lights, and run PA from stage. As a long-time sound guy, personally I hate not using a full FOH rig, but with what venues are paying right now for bands its not worth the time/effort to sue the full rig/lights. So - they get what you pay for, and I needed to update my old wireless unit - so went with the G90.

Sounds great going into the Axe-II .. don't notice any difference between it and using cable. YMMV.

Last edited:
Using the rack mount L6 G90.. pricey, yes (not a lot of extra features for the difference between it and the G30 IMHO)

Sounds great going into the Axe-II .. don't notice any difference between it and using cable. YMMV.

Interesting. It appears most of you guys prefer the Line 6 series out of any of the other brands. Aside from racking a G90 why the hell is there such a jump in price compared to it's counter parts? It really seems like line 6 is screwing its customers here...

I hear what you're saying about being the sound guy. I recently purchased 3 Bose L1 'sticks' for my band recently for the exact reason not having to lug a full rig around. Setup and break down are are breeze now. BUUT being able to walk across the sound field without being chained to a cable would be badass.....

Interesting. It appears most of you guys prefer the Line 6 series out of any of the other brands. Aside from racking a G90 why the hell is there such a jump in price compared to it's counter parts? It really seems like line 6 is screwing its customers here...
I did the research before buying... the G series got the highest ratings out of any I could find. Still, the G90 price seems to be targeted toward the professional versus bar band types. IOW - high!

I prefer top of the line gear (which is why I own the Axe - DUH!) so the [tough] decision was the G90 'cus I wanted rack mount, and to not have yet another piece of gear to setup and pack away in a box when done. Do like it tho.. its metal, the xmit pack is solid (not plastic feeling) and it permanently hooks from back of G90 into INSTR in on Axe-II. Can easily remove it from INSTR in for use at home.
It does have one of those stupid proprietary multi-pin connectors on xmit end of guitar cable, and for the money, they should have included a second cable with a right-angle 1/4" jack. Alas, no... only the single straight connector, which means I have to have the xmitter way-low on my strap -as its NOT a LONG cable.

Last edited:
I did the research before buying... the G series go the best rating out of any I could find. Still, the G90 price seems to be targeted toward the professional versus bar band types.
I prefer top of the line gear (which is why I own the Axe - DUH!) so the decision was the G90. Love it.. its metal, the xmit pack is solid (not plastic feeling). It does have one of those stupid proprietary multi-pin connectors on xmit end of guitar cable, and for the money, they should have included a second cable with a right-angle 1/4" jack. Alas, no... only the single straight connector, which means I have to have the xmitter way-low on my strap -as its NOT a LONG cable.

haha! Check this out then!

Right Angled Cable for the G90!!!

I've been using the L6 G50 for a while, it's been very reliable and sounds great, and it's priced right, I replaced the cable that comes with it with a good LavaCable, Best Tronics didn't come to mind for cables when i bought it, they'r probably just as good as the Lava and cheaper.

Another axe II and relay g90 user here. I've ab'ed it against several high quality cables and found there to be very very little perceivable difference. And most of that difference can be dialed away using the "cable tone" feature, which I personally thought was a moronic idea until I tried it out. Actually affects the tone exactly like cable length. I used the g50 for quite a while until I stopped using a standard pedalboard at which time the form factor of the g50 was much less desirable than the g90. The other thing with the g90 is that I have never experienced a dropout on it once, not even for a split second. With the g50 I had some specific issues with dropout caused by it's need to be somewhat line of sight. Just my personal observations, the g90 while more expensive was definitely worth the extra dough IMO.

Another axe II and relay g90 user here. I've ab'ed it against several high quality cables and found there to be very very little perceivable difference. And most of that difference can be dialed away using the "cable tone" feature, which I personally thought was a moronic idea until I tried it out. Actually affects the tone exactly like cable length. I used the g50 for quite a while until I stopped using a standard pedalboard at which time the form factor of the g50 was much less desirable than the g90. The other thing with the g90 is that I have never experienced a dropout on it once, not even for a split second. With the g50 I had some specific issues with dropout caused by it's need to be somewhat line of sight. Just my personal observations, the g90 while more expensive was definitely worth the extra dough IMO.

I agree that the G90 is the way to go, only went with the G50 because it works better for my needs which include lot's of flying, and already have too much stuff to bring as a carry on, but it's been working great so far never had dropouts .. hope it keeps working.. :)

The line 6 G90 rack mout, you will not be dissapointed. You can get extra 1/4" (angled) cables from Musc. Friend. SURE makes them. I've used mine for over a year now w/my ULTRA. As mentioned before the "Only" down side is the AA's only last about 3.5 hrs. I just stock up on 'em amd keep them in my rack drawer. Dont know why they didnt go with a recharable 6v battery pack? I've even called and asked if they would. So far, nada. Maybe if they got enough feedback?

As mentioned before the "Only" down side is the AA's only last about 3.5 hrs.
Are you running in "Hi" power mode or "Lo" ?? You should be able to swap to Lo and save batteries if running in Hi. My battery reading (with new batteries) on the xmitter goes from about 4.8 hrs on Hi to around 9 hrs on Lo.

Back
Top Bottom