Axe-Fx 2 vs 3 with a tube power amp

Variable

Inspired
I'm debating upgrading to the 3 based on all the feedback I've heard. I'm less interested in the new screen (which is awesome, don't get me wrong) than the sound. Most of the new clips I've heard along with reviews seem to be from an FRFR point of view, which makes me curious about what differences might show up running through a tube power amp instead. I run a Fryette PS-2 mainly with Friedman cabs (1x12 and 4x12).

Anyone running a tube power amp that can chime in on the tonal differences / improvements you hear in a similar setup?

Thanks!

I have run the AXE-FX2, AX8, and AXE-FX3 into the effects loop of a Marshall JVM205G and 4x12 cab with Celestion G12K-100s. I have also ran into a Matrix GT-800FX power amp and a 2x12 Marshall cab. The AXE-FX3 definitely sounds better in both scenarios.

For me, no tubes needed. Just a clean SS pwr amp (stereo), into “real” cabs (w/out a cab block) and also out2 for FRFR with an IR/cab block.

The IIIs amp models rock all day and night.

I've got two setups for my Axe. My Mesa 2/90s with poweramp modeling in the Axe turned off, sound great for rock stuff. For clean sounds with wetter mixes of verb and delay I prefer my Matrix GTX2000 with poweramp modeling on. Still working on getting the speaker page parameters right with my custom 4x12' Eminence cabs. And now I'm leaning towards the Matrix for everything. But, it looks like I will need one of their bigger PA amps to make absolutely certain I dont ever clip it. They are amazingly tight and detailed amps, but clipping one is very hard on the ears, so waiting to hear back from them on when I can get one of the XT5000s..:)

I've got two setups for my Axe. My Mesa 2/90s with poweramp modeling in the Axe turned off, sound great for rock stuff. For clean sounds with wetter mixes of verb and delay I prefer my Matrix GTX2000 with poweramp modeling on. Still working on getting the speaker page parameters right with my custom 4x12' Eminence cabs. And now I'm leaning towards the Matrix for everything. But, it looks like I will need one of their bigger PA amps to make absolutely certain I dont ever clip it. They are amazingly tight and detailed amps, but clipping one is very hard on the ears, so waiting to hear back from them on when I can get one of the XT5000s..:)

Are you clipping the GT2000 (assuming stereo w/ 1kw per side)? That’s gotta be damn loud! Are those speakers considered low efficiency?

Do you mean GT2000FX? Are you playing bass cuz Matrix says it's a bass amp.

I might be able to help you out with that if you can't get a hold of one. Chris.

Are you clipping the GT2000 (assuming stereo w/ 1kw per side)? That’s gotta be damn loud! Are those speakers considered low efficiency?

Yes, I was clipping on palm mutes and some other momentary loud effect transients. 4ohms into 2 4x12's each side. No, cabinets are very efficient and of course loud, but the Matrix is not that much louder than my 2 2/90's..:)

Last edited:
Do you mean GT2000FX? Are you playing bass cuz Matrix says it's a bass amp.

No, not playing bass, I think they marketed it to bass players because of the additional watts needed for clean transients. I was clipping the 1600 and moved up to the 2000.

To be clear, loud and clear, without clipping a transistor switching amp, I think the max wattage your speakers will take will give the best possible fidelity. The idea being you never want to get anywhere near those red lights…

No, not playing bass, I think they marketed it to bass players because of the additional watts needed for clean transients. I was clipping the 1600 and moved up to the 2000.

To be clear, loud and clear, without clipping a transistor switching amp, I think the max wattage your speakers will take will give the best possible fidelity. The idea being you never want to get anywhere near those red lights…
What red lights? The Matrix has purple LEDs and they are NOT clipping indicators.

If you have Output clipping on the Axe Fx, then you have a different issue.

What red lights? The Matrix has purple LEDs and they are NOT clipping indicators.

If you have Output clipping on the Axe Fx, then you have a different issue.

Yes, purple on the Matrix, I stand corrected. They do describe the unit as having clip light indicators, though after talking to the Andrew Hunt, the purple lights indicate something less than hard clipping. But regardless, the purple onset sounds bad to me...

Last edited:
Yes, purple on the Matrix, I stand corrected. They do describe the unit as having clip light indicators, though after talking to the Andrew Hunt, the purple lights indicate something less than hard clipping. But regardless, the purple onset sounds bad to me...
Nope... The purple lights just indicate how hard the amp is working. Completely normal for them to go on and off.

my rig is an AXE III to Mesa Stereo 2:50 tube amp, going into either 2 x 12 mesa or 4 x 12 mesa. Coming from AXE II XL +. Well worth the upgrade, as it is a big improvement tonally, power and feature wise. And migrating existing presets is a whole lot easier using Fractool. Convert, import, minimal adjustments, done.

Nope... The purple lights just indicate how hard the amp is working. Completely normal for them to go on and off.

This from Matrix:

"The GT2000FX is built using a new lightweight aluminium chassis, making it not only the most powerful amplifers in our range, but also one of the lightest. The addition of clip indicators as well as signal indicators allow you to verify when you eventually have reached the limit of the unit's capabilities."

Haven't hit the clip color indicator in a while because I stopped using it when it kept happening, so I don't remember what that color is. Andrew from Matrix confirmed that what I was hearing on those peaks was clipping and not desirable....

Well to be fair, the gt2000 can really only be 3dB louder than the gt1000; however the extra headroom might justify the increase.

When I see blue operating lights, iirc I’m at -6dB from clipping the Matrix. It’s also fairly loud into 2 x 2x12 closed cabs w V30s.

I don’t mind that volume, but after an hour I have to take a break. It’s really very loud.

Back
Top Bottom