Axe 2 quirks may spell the end...

jmpatrick63

Inspired
I've owned and loved my Ultra for 3 years. I finally had a setup that I was happy with. With the Ultra, I had a short wish list of things that I could really use.

- ability to go stereo or mono on each set of outputs
- more horsepower for a larger virtual pedalboard
- USB
- headphone out
- global effects
- more controllers

When the Axe2 was announced, all of these were addressed, so I spent a couple weeks mulling it over and decided to make the move. Sadly, based on the premise that the Axe2's were going to be in plentiful supply, I sold my Ultra and got in line. 2 months went by and the Axe2's were still trickling out painfully slow. With nothing to play thru and work to be done, I sucked it up and paid the $400 upcharge to jump the list. My Axe2 showed up this week and I got down to business.

First the good news: The Axe2 sounds better than the Ultra in a couple key areas: the "in the room" feeling is there. The room mic settings are beautiful. That is one past complaint that should be put to rest with the Axe2. It's there. Secondly, the Axe2, for me, has been simplified in its increased complexity. I used to use a lot of tweaks and bandaids on my Ultra to get what I needed. PEQ's, GEQ's and Filters were needed to dial out harshness and boominess. Not with the Axe2. I'm finding that the CPU-draining fixes are not necessary. The Axe2, for me, sounds better out of the box than the Ultra did 3 years ago.

Now the quirks: I realize that every design decision is a compromise, but there's a couple that really bum me out. The 2 output level controls are useless to me. I can't bend over and quickly adjust my stage volume on a pair of wedges on the floor. Output level controls that don't take the signal all the way to silence are worthless. Worst than that, the beating noise that the pots make is way too much to accept on a professional piece of equipment. If I'm playing in church and have to dial down my monitor volume with that DC thumping, I'll be doomed. These 2 issues bug me the most...and they are something that the Ultra does better. Burning a Quick Control dial to set up a redundant output level seems silly. Personally, I'm learning that I really miss the 2 input level controls. The digitally programmable input setting sounded great when I heard about it, but I miss having that dial there to fatten up or thin out the signal a bit. I've had issues with humming and ringing. These are probably either user error or a defective unit. I'm sure that will get sorted out. Design quirks are forever.

Here's my self-inflicted dilemma: If I return the Axe2 I'm left with nothing but a lonely MFC-101. My Ultra is gone, and to buy another on eBay I'll have to pay around $1800, which is more than I sold my Ultra for.

Hmm...

contact me, I've an extra Ultra that has been setting in my studio that I'm fixing to unload. I'll do for less that 1800.

A simple external mixer would be a compromise.
With all due respect... Who needs more gear!
Most of the quirks I can live with..... I am REALLY hoping that Volume to Zero can be possibly changed in firmware . Does anyone know otherwise? I am a powered wedge user as well......It's problematic.
The sound from the unit is unreal though....as more user patches become shared by the masters ,Mark, Smile, Yek, and others, exploration and understanding of the unit continues, awesome !

The upcoming firmware will bring the volume to zero when the knobs are fully counter-clockwise. I am also working on eliminating the noise when the knobs are adjusted and expect to be able to achieve that.

The input gain is adjustable globally in the Global menu.

The humming noise is most likely a wiring issue in your rig but possibly a defective unit although that seems unlikely.

Fantastic news!!!!! Thanks a ton for listening to our feedback. It is really appreciated !!

I use a 1U rack mount splitter/mixer to control my volume to the wedges. my main out from the axe goes into the splitter/mixer. from there it is plit into two sends. one to the FOH and the other to the wedges. i can control the volume of the wedges from my rack front panel. i know i can be a pain in the arse but i had to do it to get around that.

I use a 1U rack mount splitter/mixer to control my volume to the wedges. my main out from the axe goes into the splitter/mixer. from there it is plit into two sends. one to the FOH and the other to the wedges. i can control the volume of the wedges from my rack front panel. i know i can be a pain in the arse but i had to do it to get around that.

Help is on the way :)

Personally, I'm learning that I really miss the 2 input level controls. The digitally programmable input setting sounded great when I heard about it, but I miss having that dial there to fatten up or thin out the signal a bit.

+1

Would be great if we could assign the the AMP GAIN / INPUT TRIM to an ABCD dial.

The upcoming firmware will bring the volume to zero when the knobs are fully counter-clockwise. I am also working on eliminating the noise when the knobs are adjusted and expect to be able to achieve that.

The input gain is adjustable globally in the Global menu.

The humming noise is most likely a wiring issue in your rig but possibly a defective unit although that seems unlikely.

Thanks!

With all due respect... Who needs more gear!
Most of the quirks I can live with..... I am REALLY hoping that Volume to Zero can be possibly changed in firmware . Does anyone know otherwise? I am a powered wedge user as well......It's problematic.
The sound from the unit is unreal though....as more user patches become shared by the masters ,Mark, Smile, Yek, and others, exploration and understanding of the unit continues, awesome !

I don't think ANY of us wants more gear. That's one of the great things about Fractal products. It was suggested as a compromise between not using the Axe II and using the Axe II with unacceptable parameters. Not surprisingly, Cliff is already on top of this.

Release notes for upcoming firmware:

// Fixed X/Y copy not working in Reverb.
// Increased sequencer steps to 32.
// Added Hicut to Quadchorus.
// Added Bypass Mode to Volume block.
// Added FAS Brown and Big Hair models.
// Exposed Drive block Bit Reduction parameter to Modification.
// Exposed Delay block Bit Reduction parameter to Modification.
// Exposed Delay block Drive parameter to Modification.
// Exposed Crossover Freq parameter to Modification.
// Patch recall now wraps at boundaries.
// Quick Control knobs now work in Global EQ menu.
// Fixed crashing on certain GUI messages (X/Y, etc.).
// Changed Output Level knobs so that volume goes to zero and eliminated "beating".
// Fixed noise in USB audio when using OS-X aggregate device and changing presets via MIDI.
// Fixed some Bypass Mode Modifiers not correctly mapped.
// Fixed pop when X/Y switching between regular and reverse delay types.

Very nice, but for some reason this one jumped out at me...

// Patch recall now wraps at boundaries :D

Release notes for upcoming firmware:

// Fixed X/Y copy not working in Reverb.
// Increased sequencer steps to 32.
// Added Hicut to Quadchorus.
// Added Bypass Mode to Volume block.
// Added FAS Brown and Big Hair models.
// Exposed Drive block Bit Reduction parameter to Modification.
// Exposed Delay block Drive parameter to Modification.
// Exposed Crossover Freq parameter to Modification.
// Patch recall now wraps at boundaries.
// Quick Control knobs now work in Global EQ menu.
// Fixed crashing on certain GUI messages (X/Y, etc.).
// Changed Output Level knobs so that volume goes to zero and eliminated "beating".
// Fixed noise in USB audio when using OS-X aggregate device and changing presets via MIDI.
// Fixed some Bypass Mode Modifiers not correctly mapped.
// Fixed pop when X/Y switching between regular and reverse delay types.

I've had my ultra for 4yrs & am looking forward to getting my AxeII, for reasons exactly like this.
Attention to customer feedback is incredible. Thanks again Cliff.

Well that's all well and fine, but the eleven rack has been out for a few years now and has had like 2 firmware updates (one free, one you pay for). The freebie didn't address any real user requests as far as I know, but I think that Avid probably knows what's best for it's user base. I mean they are the industry leader in acquiring companies and making their products proprietary in the process.

So perhaps you should just go ahead and learn how to use your gear the way that the company intended you to instead of how you want or need.

(and yes, that's supposed to be sarcastic and funny)

I think that what I'll do is make like 6 copies of THE firmware update from Avid, rename them each to something unique ike v.1.0.3, v.1.0.4(beta), v.1.0.5(final), etc and then when I get pissed off I'll just install one and pretend like they give a crap and did something. :lol

"// Exposed Drive block Bit Reduction parameter to Modification.
// Exposed Delay block Drive parameter to Modification."

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!! Thanks Cliff!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom