Axe 2 Post 4.x FW Updates ..... any chance of a definite / formal announcment now ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi Fractal

As I posted elsewhere ....... from reading all the posts across the 2 main threads on this issue ....... all I think we are now looking for is a formal / official / definite announcement from Fractal -either way- re: whether or not there will be any post 4.x FW's for the Axe 2 and if there will be, what "de-functionality" will be needed in order to do this.

My genuine sense is that whatever your [ Fractal's ] ultimate decision is, the absolute vast majority of users will accept and respect it .... and this will allow us to make informed individual choices and decisions about what we each need to do moving forward.

Really hoping this is recieved and taken in the postive and respectful manner in which it is intended.

Thanks,
Ben

This is a little excessive and overreaching. The time will come, and only Cliff will make that decision. Our units ARE becoming obsolete. It's time to accept it as 100% fact and move on.

We have an amazing piece of gear and if you want to stay in the loop for the foreseeable future, sell yours and upgrade. Very simple.

Hi Fractal

As I posted elsewhere ....... from reading all the posts across the 2 main threads on this issue ....... all I think we are now looking for is a formal / official / definite announcement from Fractal -either way- re: whether or not there will be any post 4.x FW's for the Axe 2 and if there will be, what "de-functionality" will be needed in order to do this.

My genuine sense is that whatever your [ Fractal's ] ultimate decision is, the absolute vast majority of users will accept and respect it .... and this will allow us to make informed individual choices and decisions about what we each need to do moving forward.

Really hoping this is recieved and taken in the postive and respectful manner in which it is intended.

Thanks,
Ben
i think we need to relax here and let them do what they do. choices and decisions you need to make to move forward? Not sure i understand but perhaps assume it's possibly the last update (as Cliff had stated) and play, record tour whatever. Then if you get more updates down the road it's simply a bonus.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree...our units ARE 18 till they die! ;)

I can agree with that, 18 til death. I don't mean that to be taken negatively towards our Mk I and Mk II units. :) Obsolete in the sense that our ability to upgrade firmware is coming to a halt. Just because we lose firmware support doesn't render them useless.

Que Sera, Sera. Whatever will be, will be.

This could have easily been asked in the firmware thread where it's relevant. I don't see multiple "Cliff do this or that" threads really serving the overall good here because it adds noise to the boards. This makes questions that aren't a side argument harder to spot and answer while you have the same 8-10 people going off in each of the various "Make my mk1 live forever/Fuggums, I have an xl+" threads.

the FAS hardware will never be obsolete. they know what models had what guts, 20 years from now they could update an ultra to use the whole DSP for just an amp, that's a digital replica of EVERYTHING, and the hardware will be worth $100 bucks. Cell phones and computers go obsolete because everybody's software has to talk to each other so everyone has to be on the same page, updates come so fast that hardware gets changed out and nobody codes on the old unit anymore. Fractal does it all in-house, FAS boxes will never be obsolete. But even without any firmware updates, how much fun is it to play duck hunt on an NES?? vs what, a Pod Bean 2.0? Fractal Audio is on a whole different dimension

Last edited:
I remember that they changed the way the II was coded from the ultra, it was more "modular" and cliff seemed pretty pleased about it in a post he made early on. Who knows if the III is coded similarly to the II. Anything is possible but it wont happen because Im sure cliff wouldnt want to touch gen 1 coding anymore and there probably isnt anyone else who knows it like he does.

the FAS hardware will never be obsolete. they know what models had what guts, 20 years from now they could update an ultra to use the whole DSP for just an amp, that's a digital replica of EVERYTHING, and the hardware will be worth $100 bucks. Cell phones and computers go obsolete because everybody's software has to talk to each other so everyone has to be on the same page, updates come so fast that hardware gets changed out and nobody codes on the old unit anymore. Fractal does it all in-house, FAS boxes will never be obsolete. But even without any firmware updates, how much fun is it to play duck hunt on an NES?? vs what, a Pod Bean 2.0? Fractal Audio is on a whole different dimension

Ultra being just an Amp box?
Cool idea.
However, that cannot happen unless fractal went open sourse and someone did the work...
And that definitely won't happen.
The ultra is what it is now - An absolete amp modeler unit, that some people still use, just because they like it the way it is or can't afford the updated one...

Back
Top Bottom