axe 2 global eq? New axe 2 not amazing, yet?

I have been struggling with the Axe II trying sounds also. I have a simple Brown patch on my ultra and I have a setup where I can a/b the II and Ultra and still cannot get the II to sound as good as the Ultra for this patch. The patch is simple, just an amp and cab. Don't get me wrong, I like the new direction with all the features, etc, but matching the exact cab and amp it sounds a lot different.

Some other patches sound better and more alive on the II but this Brown patch after playing for a few hours, I still cannot get it to sound like the Ultra. Too me this is a deal breaker as this was my main patch. I am sure its some setting/adjusment etc, but as of now I am struggling. Seems its more gainy and muddier even when I turn down the gain.

I am not bitching. I have been a Axe Standard and Ultra User since day one. Axe II is a welcomed improvement, BUT I hope I can replicate my few patches so I can get the Ultra sound patches on the II. Guess once we figure out the magic setting change, maybe its SAG equiv setting or some enhanced setting.

I was axeless for about 6 months, but I kept lurking on the forum and reading all the tips for dialing in sounds and patches. Now that I have the II, I'm getting so much more out of it than I ever did with my standard. I'm not sure if it's because the II is so good, or if I just picked up some critical mass of theoretical knowledge in between.

I just got done jamming around a great rhythm patch. I've been dialing it in and revising it over the last few days. You may know this already, but the key to getting the sound you want is to find the right balance between gain and master volume. Keep the rest of the tone controls at noon while you tweak those two. I'm finally starting to get a feel for what colorations indicate MV too high or too low, and how the gain interacts with it. Presence seems like the next most important control, at least for the ca3+ model I was just working with.

I have been struggling with the Axe II trying sounds also. I have a simple Brown patch on my ultra and I have a setup where I can a/b the II and Ultra and still cannot get the II to sound as good as the Ultra for this patch. The patch is simple, just an amp and cab. Don't get me wrong, I like the new direction with all the features, etc, but matching the exact cab and amp it sounds a lot different.

Some other patches sound better and more alive on the II but this Brown patch after playing for a few hours, I still cannot get it to sound like the Ultra. Too me this is a deal breaker as this was my main patch. I am sure its some setting/adjusment etc, but as of now I am struggling. Seems its more gainy and muddier even when I turn down the gain.

I am not bitching. I have been a Axe Standard and Ultra User since day one. Axe II is a welcomed improvement, BUT I hope I can replicate my few patches so I can get the Ultra sound patches on the II. Guess once we figure out the magic setting change, maybe its SAG equiv setting or some enhanced setting.

I tried matching amps from the Ultra for a few hours and finally decided that it wasn't worth it. i just started dialing from scratch and in a short time was happier and got better results.

Sean is right, after hearing he and Scott say it's easier to just start over from scratch, I feel kind-of fortunate not to feel compelled to bang my head against that wall. So, try to forget about whatever preconceptions you already have with that patch and just come up with creative ideas to achieve what you're after. For example, play with increasing signal into the amp block and turning the drive down, try higher drive with lower master and increase overall level, vice-versa, etc. You get the idea, try all kinds of possible variables to shape the amp section and see if you can come up with something that has the tone you're after, even if it doesn't match up settings-wise with what you had previously.

Good luck, I'm on this journey of figuring out how to recapture sounds I had dialed in previously as well... :)

I tried matching amps from the Ultra for a few hours and finally decided that it wasn't worth it. i just started dialing from scratch and in a short time was happier and got better results.

THIS!

I tried matching my presets from the Ultra on the II and it definitely does NOT work well. Start from scratch.

I also noticed I still like the PEQ block after the USA Lead amps better than the built-in GEQ in the amp block.

I tried matching my presets from the Ultra on the II and it definitely does NOT work well. Start from scratch.
+100% .. I tried replicating a couple of my "go to" Ultra presets over to the Axe2. I did that by directly mapping the effect block values/settings in the Ultra to the same blocks in the Axe2. I found out REAL fast that they do not sound/play the same when you do that. I thought at first that this was a bit weird, but there are many effect blocks that Cliff has re-worked the algorithms on. There's also the G2/VVT modeling on the AMP block, the new RW/OH IR's in the CAB, tweaks/changes to default parameters in other blocks and so on.

So it makes perfect sense that presets do not map directly. I ended up taking the base amp/cab combos from the Ultra presets as a starting point on the Axe2, then added a little spice to taste. Result so far have been killer!!
YMMV

THIS!

I also noticed I still like the PEQ block after the USA Lead amps better than the built-in GEQ in the amp block.

I'm not sure why that would be. Other than 2 extra bands they should be exactly the same.

the only patch i'm trying to directly copy is the violin. I'm close, but need to figure out how to get my own cab IR (acoustic one) on there, and I should be good with it. It sounds pretty dang good with no cab sim, but i know it will make it better with the cab sim.

AFAIK - cabs are 2048 (1024 on Ultra) on Axe2, so Alberta's V2 engine will provide the correct .syx IR format - as long as you have the original .wav (aiff?) file available.

I'm not sure why that would be. Other than 2 extra bands they should be exactly the same.

It's because I can change the Q value and frequency of each of the 5 bands on the PEQ and can't on the GEQ. I will, of course, keep trying with the GEQ to save CPU cycles, but for now my main patch uses the PEQ.

the only patch i'm trying to directly copy is the violin. I'm close, but need to figure out how to get my own cab IR (acoustic one) on there, and I should be good with it. It sounds pretty dang good with no cab sim, but i know it will make it better with the cab sim.
I finally found a cello IR, which should work better than the acoustic guitar IR I found before. I'll mess with it and get something up for the forum over the weekend.

It's because I can change the Q value and frequency of each of the 5 bands on the PEQ and can't on the GEQ. I will, of course, keep trying with the GEQ to save CPU cycles, but for now my main patch uses the PEQ.

sorry missed your peq (though you wrote geq).

aHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, starting to hear the nirvana. First I nearly threw my ev live x out the window, but remembered a fellow user mentioned with the Ultra he turned off the "full range" switch with implies a sub is used, and take away all the boominess and fluff and cccccccccccrap. I also did drop the 3rd or 4th from the left fader on the global eq. Found and tweaked Mark DAY patch (my patch I did through headphones sounded like absolute ssssssssssssssssheyat!) I turned up the input on the ev's, wow some cccccccccccrushing gain from just the HBE, even I yes I turned the gains down on the amp and drive! feedback noise everything was there, I am breathing better now. I think things will only get sickly better. Thanks again guys. ps I still dont know what L plus R is vs left only vs stereo etc. These dont change anything when I turn them. Im guitar in , xlr outs to 2 separate left and right powered speakers. What am I supposed to be using ?

oh ps I want to kill fletcher munson, he is still in effect!!! I was hoping I could be in total nirvana at lower volumes but not with these 1000w powered speakers, great going to go deaf, all sounds better louder!

You want to set the Input to Left Only. Only use the other modes if you are using the rear right input simultaneously.

I finally found a cello IR, which should work better than the acoustic guitar IR I found before. I'll mess with it and get something up for the forum over the weekend.
Can't wait to hear what you come up with that. Also, please share the cello IR :)

You want to set the Input to Left Only. Only use the other modes if you are using the rear right input simultaneously.

Thank you sir, I got confused as the mark day patch is set up L+R. Anyway thrilled to be getting there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again.

Is it the one from the Native Instruments forum. I noticed one that a user created there a while back. I downloaded it but never tried it.

Back
Top Bottom