axe 2 global eq? New axe 2 not amazing, yet?

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
Hi all, just got my axe 2, not getting the sounds I want yet. It is likely my ev live x 12 actives; I am getting boomy bassy reverbery sounds, not great gain. there is no eq on the live x powered speakers; I know sound reinforcement speakers arent as good as great monitors, but I want the amp feeling, and these are reported as good or better than qsc etc. but many on the board report these as excellent speakers; anyway any ideas?

Is anybody adjusting the global eq or something else in the many many amp or cab or new tube modeling? Any help appreciated, given what everyone is saying I shouldnt need to do too much tweaking of advanced parameters.

Try to ajust the highpass filter of the amp parameter to get rid of the unwanted bass. I don't know what you mean by not great gain. I f you mean not enough...well, something's wrong. But if you really need more gain, even after boosting the amp with a drive block, you can raise the input trim on the amp parameter, for more preamp tube gain..more than you'll ever need!

thanks Ill try yes not enough gain! cant wait to try your ideas, it seems when I turn u pgain on a real amp things get super saturated like crazy, doesnt seem to happen on axe2, just gets muddy?!

Cliff mentioned recently that the gain control on the 2 is different. It models the gain control of the actual amp, rather than the fixed range of the first gens. So you might find that there is less gain at a particular setting than you are used to, depending on the model.

Definitely don't find gain lacking on the II. Harmonics are crazy sensitive now, I've noticed. The mark iv model now I think completely nails some of the harmonic nuances of my old mark iv.

It just might be the speakers are boosting some funky frequencies. So time for the high pass filter and maybe a peq or two. Also, what amp/cab setup are you trying out?

just going through presets and tweaking (honestly got last night only had about an hour with it) but any hints on good cab/preamp combos )appreciated

Well you can try the standard metal stack of peavey 6505 and a 4x12 v30 cab. Also, sometimes its better to not use mics unless you want a specific characteristic youre looking for.

just going through presets and tweaking (honestly got last night only had about an hour with it) but any hints on good cab/preamp combos )appreciated

Honestly, just make a couple of presets from scratch. It's soo much easier to do now.

Also, I read a good tip from Jay: eq your fr speakers so that they sound good with music you know well playing through them. With USB on the axe 2, you might be able to stream music through it and set the global EQ at the same time.

awesome suggestions, Im stuck at work, cant wait to get home! Honestly thanks guys I soooooooo much want this to be the be all end all!
Is there an easy way to erase a template to start from scratch?

Go to preset 384 - it's blank canvas. Start there, then save the result to one of the other 383 locations. It will overwrite the contents at that location.

You can also enable the Boost right below the Drive knob, which gives you 12db of Gain... that's TWELVE Louda, innit !?

Man, I'm running an atomic FR and most of the straight amp presets with the delay turned off sound pretty much usable to me, were there a couple models that you specifically aren't pleased with? I'm interested to go and see what I have on some of my tweaks to the patches.

Hi all, just got my axe 2, not getting the sounds I want yet...I am getting boomy bassy reverbery sounds, not great gain.

I concur. I've also been experiencing boomy bass on some presets, so much so that I initially thought there was some sort of octave down pitch-shifting on my low E string (literally sounded like a bass guitar). Monitoring here on high-end studio monitors which are not boomy on program material I am familiar with. Going to try some HPFs to see if that alleviates this. Cliff mentioned that the bass response on the Marshall Plexi Normal patch is correct and accurate. I will check out some of the Fender clean presets which I am also hearing this on.

Regarding gain, I am experiencing the opposite issue, almost like some auto-gain is expanding my quiet playing. After correctly setting the input trim (to yellow lights), just barely touching the strings (not even playing) results in the 2nd level of green lights. This is with no compressors in the grid. Cliff thought this may be some Fletcher-Munson effect which is possible for hearing perception, but would not explain the 2nd level of green lights when lightly touching the strings. Still think there is some auto-gain or input normalizing going on. Will have to check it out further.

I concur. I've also been experiencing boomy bass on some presets, so much so that I initially thought there was some sort of octave down pitch-shifting on my low E string (literally sounded like a bass guitar). Monitoring here on high-end studio monitors which are not boomy on program material I am familiar with. Going to try some HPFs to see if that alleviates this. Cliff mentioned that the bass response on the Marshall Plexi Normal patch is correct and accurate. I will check out some of the Fender clean presets which I am also hearing this on.

Regarding gain, I am experiencing the opposite issue, almost like some auto-gain is expanding my quiet playing. After correctly setting the input trim (to yellow lights), just barely touching the strings (not even playing) results in the 2nd level of green lights. This is with no compressors in the grid. Cliff thought this may be some Fletcher-Munson effect which is possible for hearing perception, but would not explain the 2nd level of green lights when lightly touching the strings. Still think there is some auto-gain or input normalizing going on. Will have to check it out further.

are the pickups high gain? EMG and seymours are notorious for this.

What guitar, pups, strings are you guys using? I believe cliff has said in the past there is some form of input normalization but I could be remembering incorrectly.

What sammetal said, emgs or blackouts IME don't have a huge dynamic range

I just realized something symphx. Try changing the battery on your guitar if you use active puppies. It might do the trick.

are the pickups high gain? EMG and seymours are notorious for this.

I have experienced the boomy bass, through studio monitors, on multiple patches with 3 different guitars: 70s Fender Strat stock single-coils, Gibson Les Paul Standard with 57s and a PRS Custom 24 with stock dual humbuckers. I will try to see if this also occurs with P90s and burst-buckers soon. I am using 10-gauge Ernie Ball Regular Slinky on all guitars.

I believe cliff has said in the past there is some form of input normalization but I could be remembering incorrectly.

I think this is what's going on (auto gain/input normalizing would explain the 2nd level of green lights when barely touching the strings, but only the yellow lights when playing hard).

If possible I would like to disable this, because although it is optimum for the electronics, it's interfering with my touch sensitivity (ie, too sensitive even at low monitoring levels).

Last edited:
I have experienced the boomy bass, through studio monitors, on multiple patches with 3 different guitars: 70s Fender Strat stock single-coils, Gibson Les Paul Standard with 57s and a PRS Custom 24 with stock dual humbuckers. I will try to see if this also occurs with P90s and burst-buckers soon. I am using 10-gauge Ernie Ball Regular Slinky on all guitars.

that is unusual. I think It's the normalization jdoll was talking about. Hmmm... so It's acting like a compressor?

Back
Top Bottom