Axe 2 Audio Interface, recording a condenser mic?

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any tips for the following setup:
Recording guitar through the front input simultaneously with a Condenser microphone through the back input. Each going to it's own track in Logic X
Is there a way to simulate a mic preamp in the axe fx, so that I can simply plug a condenser(with an xlr adapter)?
I want to use the axe as my main audio interface. I am getting great results with usb guitar tones, but want to add microphone recording as well.
Do I need to buy an external preamp? Also, how to route everything?

Thanks!!

Yes you will need a separate mic preamp or powered XLR adapter. The Axe II does not have XLR inputs or 48V phantom power for condenser microphones.

Something like this would work fine: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/art-tube-mp-studio-mic-preamp

Make sure the input mode in the I/O menu is set to stereo. On the grid you would make two separate rows, one for guitar and the other for the mic. Set the first block in the guitar row for left only input, and set the first block in the mic row to right only input. Then at the output block pan each row hard left and right respectively.

Just get a mixer at this point. You'll be compensating so much getting the mic and guitar through the axe.

I recommend the Yamaha AG03 or AG06, since it's a mixer and audio interface. Of course there are more expensive options too.

You can easily HARD PAN the outputs L&R, using USB #1 as the guitar and USB #2 as the Mic.

Back
Top Bottom