Axe 2 and 2x12 in mono

eHx

I recently plugged back all my gear and noticed I can only hear sound coming from the left speaker of my Engl PRO E212VHB 2x12 Horizontal.

Here's the setup:
  • Axe 2 Output mode is Mono Sum L+R
  • Output 1 from Axe2 plugged into Input 1 of ART SLA-1 Power amp
  • Power amp set to "bridged" mode
  • Channel 1 OUT (banana plugs) to right input of Cab (1/4 inch speaker cable)
  • Cab switch set to "mono"
Is that the right way to do it? I was pretty certain it used to work flawlessly before. Could the right speaker be broken? Loose connection?

you said you plugged into the "right" side of the cab.

do you mean where it says the word "right?" it seems for Mono operation, you need to plug into the side that says "Input", which is the right jack in the picture, which also says "Left" under it.

Yes I meant where it says the word "right".

I think you're correct... as I was looking online I noticed the same thing. I believe now I need to connect it where it says Input.

I feel like the biggest idiot in the world right now o_O

Well, that didn't work... so I assume I either have a broken speaker or the power amp has something wrong with it (Output 2 doesn't work at all)

You can test it by setting it to stereo, the plugging into each side one at a time. You should get output on that side if it’s working. I’m not familiar with this cabinet, but that’s how I would test any “stereo” system to see if the problem was in one side or in the summing circuitry.

I agree with Rick. And I would assume its not the power amp, or at least that it wouldn't be causing this problem. If its putting out a signal that will power one speaker, that same signal would power both speakers regardless of how the poweramp is set. The issue seems to be with your cab, whether its a faulty speaker or something going on with the input/switching electronics.

Somewhat unrelated, output2 on the Art might not be functional when its set to bridge mode. Not sure if that side not working is just a known problem you have, if not and you haven't tried then you might try switching it back to stereo operation and testing output2 that way. Not familiar with that amp but I believe my Matrix defeats the stereo outputs like that when its set to bridge, although it has a separate output dedicated to bridge. I believe my old rocktron poweramp was the same way, bridge defeated output2 and only allowed signal from output1. Can't confirm any of that though haha.

Back
Top Bottom