AX8 with USB interface

Jr125

So I'm keen on purchasing an AX8, however I'm just a little unsure if it's suitable for my current setup.

My current setup is as follows: Guitar->presonus audiobox USB->reaper->amplitube 4->presonus->rotel stereo amp->stereo speakers

Using a hi-fi system may not have the most accurate sound reproduction but I enjoy it and I don't plan on gigging so it works for me. I may consider FRFR or proper monitors at some point if I get an AX8/Axe II.

With an AX8 I imagine it would go like this: Guitar->ax8->presonus->reaper->presonus->amp->speakers

Would that work? I guess I may lose the ability to re-amp my dry tracks in reaper but I don't really have a problem with that.

Also the presonus clips really easily so would that be an issue or would I need to get a new USB interface as well? Still much cheaper than getting a full Axe FX II which is probably overkill for me. I would enjoy having the functionality of the foot switch as well.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

You'll be fine. If your interface has 2 inputs you can record a dry track using the AX8 output 2.

that looks like a normal setup to me, it should work out no problem.

why does the Presonus clip easily? i had PS gear in the past and didn't experience that.

that looks like a normal setup to me, it should work out no problem.

why does the Presonus clip easily? i had PS gear in the past and didn't experience that.

I think it's just the way it is. I remember the old focusrite 2i2 had the same problem in that it would clip no matter what with a guitar even if you put the input gain all the way down. Probably just because they're the lower end models.

Also the only other thing I think I'd be sort of maybe wishing I had is the tone match in the Axe II. Is it that big of a feature or could you probably get close enough with the amp sims?

get close enough with the amp sims?
close enough to what? they are models of actual amps, so you can get so many tones no problems. i've never used tone match. i don't try to create old tones though, i just create good tones.

close enough to what? they are models of actual amps, so you can get so many tones no problems. i've never used tone match. i don't try to create old tones though, i just create good tones.
someone reported this for being "argumentative."

i asked a straight-forward question, told some facts, and then stated what i do. i don't see how this is argumentative at all, or being "smart."

Say you wanted to tone match an album or something, I guess you'd probably be able to get close enough with the models.

Also I didn't report your post lol

Say you wanted to tone match an album or something, I guess you'd probably be able to get close enough with the models.

i know you didn't - i'm a mod so i see all reports. :D

remember that a tone match works while playing with the album because all the other instruments sound exactly how they do on that album. the moment you take that tone match out of the album and mix with other real instruments - that DON'T sound exactly like that album - it might not sound good.

most tone matches of guitar tones have very little bass and a pretty specific mid/high end for the album mix. for live playing, you usually want to create your tone with your band and its sounds, not some other recording.

Axechange is a great resource for finding artist style tones; guys like Fremen, Singtall and Moke offer some amazing artist tones too.

WRT Audiobox USB clipping, I am using one and it works fine for me. I set my AX8 output at 10-11 o'clock and have no issues with clipping with audio box input gain about 10 o'clock.

Great posts thanks guys!

One final question, should I consider purchasing an interface with spdif input to go all digital? Or running through the mic pre of the audiobox or any other shouldn't make much difference?

With spdif you'll get rid of an extra ad/da conversion, which means even lower latency and, theoretically, cleaner signal.
As a bonus, you won't need to mess with the input signal levels.

With spdif you'll get rid of an extra ad/da conversion, which means even lower latency and, theoretically, cleaner signal.

Spdif interfaces are a bit more expensive and seems they aren't that easy to get working with the AX8 either

@Jr125 Interface must support 48kHz to work with the AX8. Other than that, such interfaces should not be drastically more expensive.

In any case, many don't use spdif and everything works just fine.

Great posts thanks guys!

One final question, should I consider purchasing an interface with spdif input to go all digital? Or running through the mic pre of the audiobox or any other shouldn't make much difference?

I go spdif to converter to toslink input of UAD Apollo Twin. IMO, it's more than subtly better than analog out from AX8 into UAD. YMMV.

I go spdif to converter to toslink input of UAD Apollo Twin. IMO, it's more than subtly better than analog out from AX8 into UAD. YMMV.

For that price I may as well just get a full Axe II. Considering spdif is a digital connection I believe the interface shouldn't make any difference anyway so probably a much more inexpensive one will do for me.

Come on, are you serious? I don't see how it could be more than slightly better.

OP - I've been using an audiobox USB and just bought a Komplete 6, which I haven't taken out of the box yet, to go spdif. I could record a comparison if it would help you.

SPDIF does not always equal lower latency, in fact I believe it typically equals higher latency. I have a Maya card and SPDIF is subject to the the sound card latency settings which even at it's lowest is higher than direct monitoring of the analog inputs. Unless your soundcard taps the SPDIF signal and converts to analog prior to the sound card's latency settings, it will always introduce more latency. You do save an AD/DA for recording purposes, whether or not that makes a difference is debatable.

i've recorded and live-streamed over 90% using the analog outputs - not spdif or usb (on the Axe-Fx) - and no one has EVER said "wow that quality would be better if it was digitally recorded." if you search for a difference, you'll no doubt hear one.

Come on, are you serious? I don't see how it could be more than slightly better.

OP - I've been using an audiobox USB and just bought a Komplete 6, which I haven't taken out of the box yet, to go spdif. I could record a comparison if it would help you.

Yeah that would be great! Or even just with the analog inputs too. After doing some research I think I'd be looking at one of those or the Focusrite interfaces.

Maybe also check to see if you can find a difference with latency. Would be much appreciated! :)

Back
Top Bottom