ax8 with studio monitors question about my theory

since the ax8 is to be your preamp, power amp sim, and cab sim all in one, is it best to use studio monitors to achieve your overall tone, while it is truly as flat as it can be then when going direct adjust your sound (or sound guy can do it) using your channel EQ?

if this theory seems sound then it would seem the best way to go for creation of new patches, tweaks etc.

i am considering (since i play bass live but guitar at home 99% of the time) that i should go with a FRFR set up of studio monitors at home for set up/ and then use a powered monitor for myself on stage....

Does this make sense?

the whole idea of going with the ax8 was to simplify my setup, make my set up more versatile, and get my sounds at home to match my live sound with as minimal of tweaking as possible....

since i will be playing bass as well i figure i will shell out the cash for a monitor sub as well?

i have narrowed it down to either 2 yamaha HS8's or a pair of the pre sonus eris 8's

possibly buying a sub as well, right now the eris 8's are on sale.....

This is exactly what I do. I play through KRK RP6 G2 studio monitors at home, and my sounds translate quite well to our bands PA. I may do a few EQ tweaks on my mixer channel, but that's all.

Both the Yamahas and the Presonuses are quite popular choices here.

Personally, I prefer smaller monitors in combination with a sub.

it just seems that every time i start to look at a powered speaker (PA Type)

1. they lop off the low end.... (requiring a sub since i play bass....)
2. it doesn't make sense for me to have a PA system in my office.... just for tweaks....
3. everyone starts talking about how this PA speaker sounds different than that one and how they color your tone etc...
*i thought that was the benefit of going FRFR was less tweaking and coloration from your speaker set up
4. it starts to seem like a never-ending battle of tweaking!!!! A giant rabbit hole....

i really just don't want to chase my tail. that is what started my FRFR search years ago....

i made a kick ass metal tone while on my monitors, and i wanted to PLAY IT LOUD! so i ran the gx700 into my amp and it sounded like total crap.... that was what started me looking into this years ago...

even before fractal ever invented the axe fx....

i am just a bit exasperated that what i started to fight with years ago has reared its ugly head once again....

smittefar thank you so much for your response! sounds like I might be onto something here!

i only stated the eris 8's because they seem to have a great freq response and you can buy 1 get one half off right now....

that means a pair of 8's for under the cost of one yamaha! i can afford a sub to round out the system at that price....

it just seems that every time i start to look at a powered speaker (PA Type)

1. they lop off the low end.... (requiring a sub since i play bass....)
2. it doesn't make sense for me to have a PA system in my office.... just for tweaks....
3. everyone starts talking about how this PA speaker sounds different than that one and how they color your tone etc...
*i thought that was the benefit of going FRFR was less tweaking and coloration from your speaker set up
4. it starts to seem like a never-ending battle of tweaking!!!! A giant rabbit hole....

Not all FRFR speakers are built to be truly flat or have great phase alignment. Most Prosumer offerings are a lot of marketing hype "1000 watts" type of BS. Fact of the matter is there are very few flat PA type monitors on the market and the ones that are there can start to get very expensive CLR, RCF,Meyer etc.

It sounds as if you are wanting your monitors to do double duty and that is a tall order to fill. Most here are using the CLR for reference and as monitor or backline duty. For Bass I personally I would use a small Bass combo for that job I think you would get better results.

I second the small monitor with sub recommendation. I use the Presonis E5 with the presonis 10" sub. The sub has a bypass footswich I use to play late at night. This is the best home guitar setup I have ever had.

I find the Atomic CLR powered wedge to be a great FRFR.

Neutral like a great studio monitor but dynamic like an amp.

I create my presets with two CLR's on sticks above head level in free field mode.

Then gig with one in wedge position, tilt mode.

Presets translate great into many rooms and outdoor shows too.

I use a small pa at home and learned if you do not want to go down the rabbit hole don't fall in. I get a good close enough tone and rock with it. no matter how much you spend on monitoring it will always sound different when it is set up some were else!!!!!

I'm currently using a set of Focal Alpha 80's for establishing presets. No hyped frequencies or anything from them. I'll be getting a pair of Trio's in a few months and I'm REALLY excited to do my final tweaks with those. As far as live, I'm using an Alto TS212 for the time being just for monitoring.
bz5ocRK.jpg

The simple answer is "it depends"

The best way to dial in the sounds on an AX8 or any fractal product is to use it in context with how you'll be playing the music. If you're using the AX8 strictly for the studio, then dial it in in the studio. If you're going to use it live, make sure you dial it in at rehearsal volume with your band. Doing both? Dial it in both ways.

No sense it dialing it in with studio monitors at bedroom volumes if you're going to be playing an arena tomorrow.

thoughts between the two monitor types?

I've been using the Eris 8's at home, and I really do like the sounds I get with them. I also have a Line 6 L2T that I have been using for live shows with other modelers (not my AX8 yet) for a while now and so far at home, I like the Eris 8's better that the L2T for quality of sound. Also, they are of course stereo and I only have one L2T so it's mono, but I think even one Eris 8 is better than the L2T. If I can figure out a way to build some kind of enclosing cabinet to protect them, I will take them out for a live show.

As for FRFR, you would be able to reach lower bass with a good power amp and a Xitone 2x12 (or two passive 1x12s), or two active Xitone 1x12s. The CLRs don't lack bass, they just don't reach as low. I was extremely happy with my sound using a power amp and one 2x12 Xitone.

I settled on a pair of CLRs to simplify. But, I kept my good studio monitors. Then, when we moved, I realized that since I was going to switch to the AX8, I only really need one CLR. So now I use my monitors at home. They have a deeper bass response than the CLRs, but are still flat. They translate pretty well to either my CLR or Xitone active 1x12.

The simple answer is "it depends"

The best way to dial in the sounds on an AX8 or any fractal product is to use it in context with how you'll be playing the music. If you're using the AX8 strictly for the studio, then dial it in in the studio. If you're going to use it live, make sure you dial it in at rehearsal volume with your band. Doing both? Dial it in both ways.

No sense it dialing it in with studio monitors at bedroom volumes if you're going to be playing an arena tomorrow.

Yep - what he said. I tried doing it at bedroom volumes and was grossly disappointed. Tried at louder volumes and it was better. Last weekend I hired a rehearsal studio and cranked it up, took the laptop and USB cable, and worked for 3 hours. This rehearsal I will see if my efforts have paid off. Sounded good loud by myself though.

Back
Top Bottom