AX8 with Fryette Power Station

hippietim

Axe-Master
I finally got around to hooking up the AX8 to my Power Station. I ran it into my Bogner Cube 1x12 (Vintage 30). In a nutshell it sounds really good. For this configuration I ran with power amp simulation enabled on the AX8 since the Power Station is fundamentally designed to work transparently (you can read up on it on the Fryette site for more info). It does seem to be very neutral and things definitely sound better with power simulation on rather than off. Most of the video is just me noodling with my JTV Variax. Towards the end I switch back to the PRS I used for the 4CM demo. And the last section is back to using the Badger as a power amp - I did not do 4CM for this, I just ran the AX8 output into the return of the Badger. With the Badger as a power amp I disabled power amp simulation on the AX8.

I definitely like the Badger as a power amp better than the Fryette Power Station. But I can't say that I like running it with the Badger better than running FRFR with the CLR. It's really close. For the short term, I am going to run with the Badger since I have a gig coming up shortly - I'll basically run the AX8 like I was running the FX8 before.

I finally got around to hooking up the AX8 to my Power Station. I ran it into my Bogner Cube 1x12 (Vintage 30). In a nutshell it sounds really good. For this configuration I ran with power amp simulation enabled on the AX8 since the Power Station is fundamentally designed to work transparently (you can read up on it on the Fryette site for more info). It does seem to be very neutral and things definitely sound better with power simulation on rather than off. Most of the video is just me noodling with my JTV Variax. Towards the end I switch back to the PRS I used for the 4CM demo. And the last section is back to using the Badger as a power amp - I did not do 4CM for this, I just ran the AX8 output into the return of the Badger. With the Badger as a power amp I disabled power amp simulation on the AX8.

I definitely like the Badger as a power amp better than the Fryette Power Station. But I can't say that I like running it with the Badger better than running FRFR with the CLR. It's really close. For the short term, I am going to run with the Badger since I have a gig coming up shortly - I'll basically run the AX8 like I was running the FX8 before.

Thanks for the videos. It's cool how you are running the AX8 through the several different platforms. I'm looking forward to future posts.

Thanks for posting this.

I plan to run the AX8 with my PS into a V30 1x12 too. Now I know it will work and sounds great. I didn't get on the list until 10/15, so might be awhile before I actually get the AX8 though.

So it's working well in 4CM like the FX8? I will probably need to sell my FX8 when I get the AX8, and I still want to use it like this with my real amps too.

Is it just me or did that whole clip have this slightly out of phase sound to it (compared to the last demo, which did not)

Is it just me or did that whole clip have this slightly out of phase sound to it (compared to the last demo, which did not)

That's probably my fault - inconsistent placement of the phone camera. I probably used a lot more of the phasey positions on the guitar than previous demos. Also, I think I was louder in the room than previous demos which will cause the iPhone mic to attenuate more and as the level drops the attenuation lessens.

I am sure that was just the camera mic. If I am hearing the same thing it is also there on Tim's voice when he is talking.

Don't get me wrong I truly appreciate the effort.... Phone cameras have a mind of their own, and one position can sound great, and I slight movement sounds bad.

I've been considering both a CLR and a Power Station. I need to get over for a visit when I get back to NC (long overdue!)

Yeah right now I am using my Landry G3 to amplify the Axe.... Its alot of amp for what I use it for....

Tims a neighbor, but im sure the power station will be gone before I get back in town

I haven't heard any of that sound as good as the CLR. I'm not just trying to justify the one I own LOL...as mentioned elsewhere, I was really knocked out by how consistently the amps sounded right when you did your first video...the cleaner stuff seems fine with Fryette or Badger, but the heavier the drive the more "off" it sounds to me.

Thanks for documenting this stuff btw...I was originally thinking I'd just use the output section of my Soultone plexi but it sounds like that's gonna be kinda labor intensive to get right. Similarly you've made me really happy that I bought the CLR!

The heavier stuff won't have quite the same impact running through a traditional 1x12 cabinet. I'm sure that if I had a nice 4x12 that the results would differ a bit.

Yeah right now I am using my Landry G3 to amplify the Axe.... Its alot of amp for what I use it for....

Tims a neighbor, but im sure the power station will be gone before I get back in town

If you want the Power Station it's yours - I don't mind hanging on to it for you. Must let me know.

Tim, great demo (and playing!) as usual. I'm in the midst of researching the Power Station now lol. So, in this case you are using the AX8 for amp simulation (with power amp simulation ON) -> Power Station (which is basically just acting as a power amp -> 1x12?
I actually really dig these tones. There is an inherent "juicy-ness" for lack of a better word that gets lost a bit with any FRFR (IMHO) and I've had them all (including the CLR).
I also have an amp (AC15C1X, modded) and I will be using that for some gigs. I'm wondering if a Power Station would actually be beneficial as attenuator for live amp, power amp when I want to go all AX8 -> cab and maybe other stuff?

The heavier stuff won't have quite the same impact running through a traditional 1x12 cabinet. I'm sure that if I had a nice 4x12 that the results would differ a bit.
Absolutely...and I should probably wait until I've an AX8 and can hear some of these things in person. Moreover, I'm a virtual noob re: modeling...I spent a few months tweaking an HD500, but that was all direct using IEMs.

Again, thanks for doing these things! I'm really enjoying listening to you play!

Freyette Power station. I am very very interested in this solution, as it offers a ton of cool features! This is another great one!

Back
Top Bottom