Ax8 With FRFR

All mixed..I'm talking the human ear..I don't hear a mixed sound or a micd cab with my ear...I can mic a cab and record it..not what I am talking about..if I heard what a mic hears I wouldn't play guitar to hear it being played I'd just play micd and listen to a pa.thanks
you don't understand what i'm saying....but i'll bow out of trying to help here, don't seem very open to assistance.

I am not judging anything,I can make a clip with my phone and tube amp,sounds great.and is the way my ears hear it or somewhat very very close..the frfr isn't getting there..If it sounds good it should sound good, simple..shouldn't need any further help
last thing...your phone clip of a cab in the room and a phone clip of a FRFR are still TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS. You have to understand the difference and what the FRFR is delivering, which you do not yet. Until you do there's no reason to even consider it because you'll be disappointed.

My cell phone records extremely close to what I hear when im playing the rig,the frfr recorded as amp in the room with the same device(cell phone) should give a similar idea of how it would sound..if it doesn't sound good what inspires to play? My cab sounds great,it's not at my knees as I stand out away from it..the frfr clips I've heard and plugged into sound very similar.not good.if it were I think there would be a whole lot more clips posted in this format.most are studio monitors or matrix amps with cabs..I'm not looking to disagree with you.I am looking to hear something I like and can move forward on.send this way if it exists.thanks for your help,and input

I have never seen/heard a youtube video of a guitar amp recorded by the built-in mic of a phone that I thought sounded good

EDIT: I should re-phrase that. I may have heard a few fair sounding amp demos, but 99% of the average joes that want to demo their tube amp recording video with their phone, sound awful.

Last edited:
Your cab in the room is what YOU hear in a gigging environment, on stage. Maybe the front row of the audience or a small enough venue will get the same sound. The rest of the audience is going to hear an SM57 (etc) stuck in front of the speaker amplified by the PA. These two sounds are fundamentally different.

With a traditional poweramp/cab, you craft a tone at home and it sounds exactly like what you want it to. You take it to the gig, the soundman slaps a mic in front, makes you turn it down so its just a stage monitor and the audience hears that mic through FOH. Your carefully crafted tone now sounds entirely different.

FRFR eliminates the difference. You hear exactly what the entire audience hears. The tone you create at home in the room is pretty much exactly what your audience is going to hear.

FRFR is what non-guitarists think a guitar amp sounds like, because most of them have never heard an amp in the room. They've heard albums and live tones, which are FRFR.

Personally i enjoy having both. My only FRFR is studio monitors and I still find it awesomely useful and fun. I dont even play live, i use it for recording.

What your missing with your deduction, a marshall half stack peaks at 100' with no mic..that sound travels,unlike an frfr with a processor,sorry..an frfr is a great thing for an acoustic gig..I keep getting all these opinions, why didn't van halen use them instead of the wall of 4x12s with the rack system that Dave friedman built for him to be driven with one 100 watt head if an frfr is great live? I thinknow there great for youtube and computer applications.live sound is big..I guess it depends on what you like..if frfr was so awsome why don't guitarist like slash,angus,zack,lynch,Satriani...etc use them live? Seems like they would use anything that sounds better as that's what there after..frfr do not drive walls of sound period..there great for going direct into a pa...so as line6 said years ago...go direct, I will stay with the wall of speakers

Last edited:
if frfr was so awsome why don't guitarist like slash,angus,zack,lynch,Satriani...etc use them live?
I've seen Zack and Satriani live a few times, and every time all I could hear was the sound from the PA (ie: FRFR).

You need to listen with your ears and not your eyes, because your eyes will tell lies unless you know the full story.

Immortal-fake-cabs-604x453.jpg

you're still 100% missing the point. and i mean, the biggest reason EVH never used this tech is because it wasn't available then. Like the pic above shows, what you see is rarely what you hear. I've seen bands carry trailers of amp shells/empty cabs for stage vibe and ran fractal, kemper or a small combo amp/head and cab. FRFR isn't meant to carry a stadium, that's what the multi million dollar line array sound systems are for.

I work at GC part time and I apologize on behalf of those of us that actually know what we're talking about. As far as options go at GC, it all depends on your price range. I'm personally using the Alto TS215 and my tone doesn't translate as well from when I come up with it on my studio monitors to my Alto. The Alto has more low and high end, almost like a smiley face curve EQ. Unless if you're dropping some serious coin on some FRFR's, this will be a common thing among all powered PA speakers. I'm personally fine with it as my Alto will end up being used as my actual speaker for a few amount of gigs. Try out multiple sets. Keep in mind that tweaking amp/cab sounds is way different from your real amp as you're hearing mic'd versions of the cabs (IR's). Some people prefer the actual guitar speaker cab sound to FRFR speakers but that doesn't mean anything as long as your tone works for YOU.

Keep in mind if you're working with a sound guy/girl, you'll be at their mercy for mic'ing and general sound through the PA. That's a huge reason many prefer to use the cab emulations so as to keep their tone as true to their taste as possible.

Back
Top Bottom