AX8 with Eventide H9 Strymon BigSky

I used an H9 max (in the loop) with my AX8 when I first started using the latter. In the end I found I didn't need the H9 all that much. As much as I like the H9.

Did any of you do anything in particular with the extra CPU availability on the AX8 when using an H9 and/or a BIg Sky to handle certain other CPU intensive tasks? Just curious. I felt like I was under utilizing one device or the other most of the time. One of the main reasons I stopped using my H9 was I seemed to be able to get all I needed from a few AX8 presets. My needs are probably on the simpler side of what is possible, but my main presets use about 13 or 14 blocks typically. Each preset can cover a lot of ground.

For setting up good I/O levels w H9, I do remember using the H9 app for dialing that in. It didn't give me a lot of trouble, but that may have had to do with my AX8 presets at the time.

Yes, I use a BigSky in the FX loop. I want really lush and thick and sometimes "weird" reverbs, and there are 2 things I didn't want to deal with... 1) Configuring tricky combinations of multi-delay et al to achieve that, and 2) worrying about hitting CPU, as I sometimes also have pitch, 1 or 2 drives, 1 or 2 delays - and I ALWAYS want to use the best possible resolution on the Cab block, and I want it to be stereo. I just just don't want to think about CPU at all, and BigSky solves that.

Could I get along without it? Probably. But I don't have time.

Yes, I use a BigSky in the FX loop. I want really lush and thick and sometimes "weird" reverbs, and there are 2 things I didn't want to deal with... 1) Configuring tricky combinations of multi-delay et al to achieve that, and 2) worrying about hitting CPU, as I sometimes also have pitch, 1 or 2 drives, 1 or 2 delays - and I ALWAYS want to use the best possible resolution on the Cab block, and I want it to be stereo. I just just don't want to think about CPU at all, and BigSky solves that.

Could I get along without it? Probably. But I don't have time.

Oh - and I also used some of the extra CPU to mine Bitcoin.

I used an H9 max (in the loop) with my AX8 when I first started using the latter. In the end I found I didn't need the H9 all that much. As much as I like the H9.

Did any of you do anything in particular with the extra CPU availability on the AX8 when using an H9 and/or a BIg Sky to handle certain other CPU intensive tasks? Just curious. I felt like I was under utilizing one device or the other most of the time. One of the main reasons I stopped using my H9 was I seemed to be able to get all I needed from a few AX8 presets. My needs are probably on the simpler side of what is possible, but my main presets use about 13 or 14 blocks typically. Each preset can cover a lot of ground.

For setting up good I/O levels w H9, I do remember using the H9 app for dialing that in. It didn't give me a lot of trouble, but that may have had to do with my AX8 presets at the time.

I play a lot of christian comptemporary music which is very delay and reverb intensive. Although reverbs in the ax8 are every bit as good as the h9 reverbs, they prevent me from utilizing one fully loaded preset that I can use for the majority of the songs I play. In addition to the h9 I also have a Voes mc5-jr midi control pedal. So what I've done is put the h9 in the loop in stereo.

Getting all the levels correct was a pain but I finally got them working great. So now I have 2 drive blocks, compressor, wah, phaser, tremolo, rotary, chorus, and 2 delay blocks, and Graphic EQ for boost all in one preset. I use the H9 for always on reverb in scene 1, wetter reverb, a reverb similar to Deep Space in ax8, a reverb similar to Big Sky cloud, and a shimmer reverb in scenes 5-8. The mc5-jr switches the scenes. Using an h9 max is overkill for reverb, but I didn't know about the source audio ventris when I bought the h9. Still, I'm very satisfied with this setup.

I think you folks will be blown away with the new delays and verbs in Ares 5. That I imagine would be available on the FM3.

May or may not be helpful to you.

Back
Top Bottom