AX8 Wishes

spin the E knob in most menus. use the D and E knob in the Layout screen. i don't touch the Shift-Nav knobs at all.
Unfortunately, that's the problem: "most menus" -- but there are also some where the E knob is directly assigned to a value. This creates inconsistency and therefore makes it extremely awkward to use when you need to change something quickly at a show or practice. I don't want to have to figure out which screen I'm on, and therefore, do I use the E knob, or shift/nav, or did I just change the value of whatever E is assigned to, or ...

Any device should have a consistent interface that always behaves the same way. I really wish the 8 had been designed with the same 4-way button layout as on the AFX. (yes, I know "it's not an AxeFx." But we're not talking about CPU limitations... this is a workflow issue and there's plenty of room on the unit for dedicated nav buttons.)

Unfortunately, that's the problem: "most menus" -- but there are also some where the E knob is directly assigned to a value. This creates inconsistency and therefore makes it extremely awkward to use when you need to change something quickly at a show or practice. I don't want to have to figure out which screen I'm on, and therefore, do I use the E knob, or shift/nav, or did I just change the value of whatever E is assigned to, or ...
Yes, I noticed this recently when I spun the E knob to scroll down a menu and ended up editing a parameter. I think E should have just been a dedicated Nav knob so its use is consistent throughout the UI.

I really like the "Scene 1/2 Toggle" option for a footswitch. Adding a "Scene 3/4 Toggle" option would make it even better--select among four scenes with two switches.

Danny W.

Yes, I noticed this recently when I spun the E knob to scroll down a menu and ended up editing a parameter. I think E should have just been a dedicated Nav knob so its use is consistent throughout the UI.
do you know what menu this was?

in List menus, E scrolls up and down.
in Layout, E scrolls up and down.
in Knob menus, E controls a parameter if there are 5 or more displayed.

are there other instances where the E knob does something different?

My AX8 is fresh off of the UPS truck, and I've just spent the last two hours playing it. That's already long enough to echo a few of the most oft repeated wishes:

- Make the patch name on the footswitch page large enough for someone with average vision to read while standing.

- Use the inverse display (white on black) to show switches in the 'on' position; the selected switch can be indicated by something less dramatic--maybe an 'dogear' triangle on the upper right? Yes, I understand that the bypass LED provides the same information....but my first instinct is to look at the green screen and it seems I'm not the only one.

- Show the other preset names in the current bank when in preset select mode. Even if they're truncated, it would be better than nothing.

Purty please. ;)

Other than that, congrats on an amazing piece of equipment! Even though I'm thoroughly accustomed to the quality and versatility of my Axe-Fx II, this is the most fun I've had with my guitar in a long, long time. It's a decidedly different user experience.

Edit: I LOVE Johan Allard's 'Performance Mode' mockup. That's nails it!

Last edited:

I may be going crazy, I could have sworn one of the list menus had E controlling a parameter but I don't see it now. It may have been on one of the knob menus that have six knobs. I never use the nav buttons and would prefer E to scroll the ABCD parameters left and right. This is how it works on the EQ tab.

I also think it is odd that the setup menus have a single cursor that scrolls up and down instead of being tied to ABCD like the other vertical list menus.

Yes, I understand that the bypass LED provides the same information....but my first instinct is to look at the green screen and it seems I'm not the only one.
Exactly. Looking at the IA switches only tells me that say #7 is on. Looking at the screen tells me what effect is on that button for that preset (I don't use global switches), and whether it's on or off.

I would like the option of using the AX8 as a midi controller for an AxeFX2 with functionality similar to a MFC101. Perhaps a different mode that could be turned on in the utility menu. Obviously control via FASLink would not be available (no FASLink jack on the AX8), but control via midi cable might be an option. AX8 functionality would be limited to midi control only while in this mode.

Hi Chris. Is it on one of the amp pages?
I am sure I have come across this too where E didn't scroll but changed a value. Was weeks ago though and I am not in front of the AX8 now.

maybe a compare feature (like in Logic Studio). To make some changes to an effect or something and then hit compare and it toggles between the new and original version of the settings.

Since the normal res reverb takes about a third of the available effects processing power, how about adding another reverb alternative that eats less processor capacity while still sounding acceptable at the rather low mix settings we often use? I tried the spring reverbs, but they were not a drop in replacement.

Since the normal res reverb takes about a third of the available effects processing power, how about adding another reverb alternative that eats less processor capacity while still sounding acceptable at the rather low mix settings we often use? I tried the spring reverbs, but they were not a drop in replacement.

You already have this... just lower the ECHO DENSITY parameter ;-)

Honestly can't remember mate. Sure to was altering virtual amp dials though.... Maybe was effects dials...... Hmmmm :) haha. No can't remember :)

Back
Top Bottom