AX8 vs Ultra. Worth the upgrade?

Glauben

I've had my Axe FX Ultra since 2007. Great unit with no problems. Even took a trip up to the factory in NH when I was living in Boston to check things out and had them do the Firmware upgrade to 11.0 (I was using a frankenstein Windows PC then). I've also been using the FCB1010 as a controller (why, I don't know).

I was playing in a worship setting using fairly simple presets, with a few dual amp / dual cab patches. I'm wondering about the upgrade to the AX8, and if I'll miss any of the complexities of the dual amp patch configuration. I know the Quantum has to be more than enough in terms of an upgrade in realism, and the sheer number of amps / cabs is astounding. I'm not too keen on getting an MFC101, but there is that possibility.

Also, wondering about B stock, and whether this is an indication that "newer" products are coming, such as an updated AX8 with more features, or possibly higher CPU expansion.

I moved from a traditional rig to an Ultra about 18 months ago, and from an Ultra to an AX8 9 months ago. It's an unequivocal yes from me. So much quicker and easier to dial in the amps, better and more numerous IR's and the effect types are far easier to setup and dial in.

The USA C++, Rectifier and Brit #34 models were worth the price of entry alone for me.

And as far as B stock they have been there from the beginning. I bought one and couldn't find a blemish. And full warranty; why not?

The AX8 excels for live work. Easy to use, easy to set up and tear down, very portable, and sounds stunning. The AX8 is all I use for gigging.

a YES from me. Went from an Ultra to an Axe Fx II and Ax8. The Ax8 gets most of my time now.

I had an Ultra and MFC101 back in the day. Loved it but it was a hassle to set up for church. I dreamed of something like an AX8 and bought it as soon as it was available (after enduring the waiting list :) at the beginning) - So simple to set up now. The sound is GREATLY improved and programming is a breeze on the Axe Edit. I do miss the dual amp a little, but not really that much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom