AX8 vs Helix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been an fractal user since just about the beginning. I wanted to try the Helix native. I did. To be totally honest I was not impressed at all. I mean it was much better than the 2 software guitar apps I have now, TH3 & GR5.

Curious though, has anyone with the helix hardware compared it to the software version ? If so, what were your thoughts?

What's missing in all these threads and there are many is: what are the users playing it through and at what volumes. Any of those mentioned can create great sounds at bedroom volume through your desk top speakers, however, for live volume monster rigs Axe and Kemper will always be top for touch sensitivity and 3d sounding.

I have always been a Fractal guy but I have heard some Kemper profiles on You tube that I or others I know who create great pre sets could not come close to on the Axe -Look up Chris Brooks on YT. Crushing Plexi tone on a Kemper.

Honestly. I think they are all so good that all can sound good and realistic and meet most needs.

And that’s new. Previous generation of Line 6 stuff was night and day inferior for me - it just wasn’t right.

But now it’s down to the ease of getting that sound and there I think Fractal wins

Honestly. I think they are all so good that all can sound good and realistic and meet most needs.

I second that. I wasn't sure which one to order so I tried the Helix first. Looked great but wasn't able to get cool sounds out of it. Returned it and ordered the AX8. Tried it and didn't like it either. So I decided that I was the problem and not the gear. That's when this forum and the incredible experience people share FOR FREE made me decide to keep the AX8. I'm pretty sure I would have liked the Helix the same way once I learned how to get it sound right.

Initially I couldn't decide - bought both. Still own both.
You already have here the differences and sure the Helix interface is excellent ,and it has wonderful connectivity and a few of the presets are extremely playable (Badonk amp to name one) BUT if I had to give either the AX-8 or the Helix back then there is no ****** contest. The AX-8 stays put. And that is all about the sound and how wonderfully usable the presets can be. And I reckon the sound is what this is all about right??!

Speaking of funny pics on TGP!!!!
n4xuh4.jpg

I tried the Helix two week demo. Test one: play and test the presets. Sounds like shit from 1997.

Test two: record a di track, play it through both, with same great IRs. Sounds better, but the Helix doesn't react to the playing at all. For example, single coil strat, pick hard, very close to the bridge with overdriven JCM800. Axe sounds like the amp is about to explode, Helix is very similar to normal playing, it doesn't care that I'm going crazy with the guitar. I wanted to like it for a home practise solution but no, it sounds so bad I have zero motivation to play, which sort of breaks the whole idea.

If you need to sound anything like a real amp, it doesn't work.

1. I think the amp modelling sounds much better on Fractal units. The Helix sounds/feels a bit "plasticy" for lack of a better word. Clear stuff sounds good for the most part, but it starts to go downhill as soon as gain is added.
So much THIS. It is maddening to hear people say they are even close, IMHO. If you play with any distortion/gain at all it almost seems as if you would have to have hearing damage to not be able to detect the artificial harshness in the upper registers. Can't believe some people can tolerate it... and it spans all of the models...

I can't help but wonder if this is why people who are into the HX oversell the idea that it 'just needs the right IRs' because in reality you need to find search for the needle in a haystack to find ones that filter that garbage out but do not sound bad in the other frequencies.

Having them both side by side made it obvious that the FAS platform is way more developed in terms of the processing. The grid concept is unbeatable too as others have noted.

For industrial design and on the fly editing? Yeah the HX is a trend setter, but I want best in class sound first.

IMHO.

Last edited:
@jlynnb1 try and shoot me the pre set I would love to hear it. With out naming names many top pre set builders on the forum have tried.

OK but why is it so special. Guitar sound I have heard many times. Or is it a shred thing. I'm serious, not trying to be a wise guy.

I'm with @Stratman68 in not being a wise guy just wondering what the significance of that clip is. I'm not hearing anything extra special just another good tone???

I'm a breath away from not being qualified to post on this thread. All I can do is say that I've been a tube guy and a knob turner, and forever suspicious of digital modeling. Frankly, I'll stand by my suspicions right up to the current generation of modelers, specifically Fractal, that made me change my mind.

When I auditioned the Helix at GC, shortly after it came out, I wasn't impressed and chalked it up to the fact that it sounded and felt like an amp mic'd up in another room that I was monitoring in this room. Granted, I worked through presets only. And, I found some tones that were just fine. But the experience wasn't like I was playing an amp. I was just playing tones, or something. ...Hopefully that makes sense.

It was the Fractal models that were more dimensional and 'live' feeling. And they converted me, reluctantly I might add.

Any piece of gear can be adjusted to sound bad. But I find my AX8 to sound really good, even with the presets - which I often use as the template for my own patches.

Lots of people love the Helix. And the interface cannot be argued with. But I like my AX8.

@Stratman68 not a shred thing, single coil plexi tone with no mushy ness. The clarity and highs in the low end for lack of better words is what is really hard, nay next to impossible to replicate. Not using crap gear here, Suhr Atomic Xitone ect. Tried many others efforts to get this.
Try and lets hear the clip!
Although I said it's not shred contingent, the arpeggios and fast runs top to bottom allow the nuances to test if breaks down or stays clear like Chris brooks does. Not just in the fingers on this one

@Stratman68 not a shred thing, single coil plexi tone with no mushy ness. The clarity and highs in the low end for lack of better words is what is really hard, nay next to impossible to replicate. Not using crap gear here, Suhr Atomic Xitone ect. Tried many others efforts to get this.
Try and lets hear the clip!
Although I said it's not shred contingent, the arpeggios and fast runs top to bottom allow the nuances to test if breaks down or stays clear like Chris brooks does. Not just in the fingers on this one

Thank you for the further explanation. I have no desire to try and replicate it. Never said I was a preset master. Not that you implied that either. I just do not see what is so outside the realm of a fractal. Just do not hear it. I listen for the things u mention. hey, you know what you hear and like. I get that. It's all good man.
Frank

I'm a breath away from not being qualified to post on this thread. All I can do is say that I've been a tube guy and a knob turner, and forever suspicious of digital modeling. Frankly, I'll stand by my suspicions right up to the current generation of modelers, specifically Fractal, that made me change my mind.

When I auditioned the Helix at GC, shortly after it came out, I wasn't impressed and chalked it up to the fact that it sounded and felt like an amp mic'd up in another room that I was monitoring in this room. Granted, I worked through presets only. And, I found some tones that were just fine. But the experience wasn't like I was playing an amp. I was just playing tones, or something. ...Hopefully that makes sense.

It was the Fractal models that were more dimensional and 'live' feeling. And they converted me, reluctantly I might add.

Any piece of gear can be adjusted to sound bad. But I find my AX8 to sound really good, even with the presets - which I often use as the template for my own patches.

Lots of people love the Helix. And the interface cannot be argued with. But I like my AX8.

you do realize that's the experience these units are intended to give you, right? the amp mic'd up in another room being monitored in the room you're in? (or iem's, etc)

Have AX8, Helix LT, JCM800, AC15, pedals. The Helix will replace many chorus,reverb,delay pedals in my tube rig. The AX8 gets played more than all the other stuff combined. Out of the box sounds great. Helix LT requires more effort to get good sounds out of it. I regret getting the Helix and only have it because GC gave me a good trade in value on my prior HD500x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom