AX8 vs Helix: Amp Tone and Effects

So I am sorry I just don't get the enormous need a few seem to have for a comparison. Is it to prove something to yourself about what you own? Be it he axe or the helix?
The only comparison that should matter is the one you make for yourself. I am truly amazed at this fascination.
At this point, It honestly just seems like a need to "validate" the Helix. Yes, I said it. well, it is validated everyday on the Line 6 site, as it should be. So, it's cool, it works.
The whole reason for an A/B comparison is so that people who don't own both can decide for themselves what they like more tone-wise.
You basicly used the argument in favor of a direct A/B comparison to argue against it. Weird.

I don't need to validate anything. But I believe in science, not mystic mumbo jumbo about "da realz tube™ soundz!" or the word of mouth (because as you all know: opinions are like assholes; everyone got one).

Cold. hard. facts.
Everytime I see a thread like this I think "well, on 10 forum pages there got to be at least one post with a direct comparison so I can decide for myself, right?". And as usual I leave disappointed. Nope, just people talking their ass off.

Last edited:
If the Helix causes such a turmoil that even a Moderator needs to speak against these threads (or close others), I'd suggest to change the policy for Off Topics and allow everything except threads about Helix.
It wouldn't be new. I've visited several forums of all classes where it's not allowed to talk or promote direct competition.

There, problem solved.

Seems that you just like to stir the fire while waiting for the AX8.
I don't own any Line6 products or Fractal products, so I'm as objective as they come. I own an Atomic product that doesn't seem to generate any problems.
I don't specially enjoy old time members of these fora calling others "butthurt" or making smartass remarks about their choices. I just react to the bad attitude (mostly intolerance) of some members. It's simply not fair, and unfairness makes my uneasy. Therefore, I post as a consequence, not as a cause.

Now, if it "seems" to you that I'm creating problems, I'll be on my marry way and won't be part of the equation. That won't solve the patrons' attitude, though.

Cheers!

The whole reason for an A/B comparison is so that people who don't own both can decide for themselves what they like more tone-wise.
You basicly used the argument in favor of a direct A/B comparison to argue against it. Weird.

I don't need to validate anything. But I believe in science, not mystic mumbo jumbo about "da realz tube™ soundz!" or the word of mouth (because as you all know: opinions are like assholes; everyone got one).

Cold. hard. facts.
Everytime I see a thread like this I think "well, on 10 forum pages there got to be at least one post with a direct comparison so I can decide for myself, right?". And as usual I leave disappointed. Nope, just people talking their ass off.

But you're depending on the person doing the demo to know how to dial both in. And to be fair in the way it's done. It's not science and that's the problem.

i agree. most comparison demos i've seen are like "hey here's this product i've been using for 10 years, let's compare it to something i just took out of the box and have no idea how to use." while it's slightly amusing and informative, it's definitely not a fair comparison.

Cold. hard. facts.

No....It's just that there are so many demos already by people like Sean and Pete and others that know the Helix, that was\is my point...I just feel that's enough to make decision shoif you cannot get somewhere to play one. Like my demo of the ax8 is going to be what you want? You're going to buy based on joe blows a\b? That's all I mean. The demos are all over.

Fractal Axe Fxii is wonderful and has great cleans as well as killer distorted models.
Helix has done a great job of making a clean signal and has nice cleans and killer distortion.
They both are amazing technologies that allow musicians to play gigs and record in the studio without
Having to invest in hard to find, boutique, and costly amps.
Owning both units I feel they both deliver great live sound and studio performance.
Each has its great and greater features.
For example...the floor Helix is great for grab and go to a show.
With "snapshot" I can set up 8 "scenes" and just like FX each scene can be a completely different set of
Effects and parameters
The plus of the Helix The effects can be varied and controlled to the floor units built in expression pedal, which has 2 separate
Settings (so it's like having 2 pedals) that can control the degree of delay or reverb, distortion...
Making new patches is real,easy with the big Helix screen
4 separate stereo patches can be outputs to for amps or pa speakers....incredible
Helix and Fractal deliver what any professional musician needs ....real sounding patches
Delivered in a platform that is portable and intuitive to program.
Buy one of each they really complement each other....synergy

hey , i had a helix in the beginning. one of the1st units out of the first month. Like all previous line 6 units , I HATED IT. I FOUGHT WITH IT , WAS EMBARRASSED THAT I BOUGHT IT. NOW A FELLOW BANDMATE HAS IT , AND I HAVE TO SAY , AHEM, ..... it sounds pretty good. I'm not leaving Fractal. I love my AX8 tone. I'm a believer. I actually think its great for the MIX that we are coming from 2 different starting points. I do promote the AX8 every chance I get to my buddies who are die hard tube amp lovers. One of whom has a pedalboard thats 4' long. I told him my pedalboard is now about 16" with my AX8. EASY and sounds GREAT. My tube amps need dusting.

Back
Top Bottom