AX8 vs Helix: Amp Tone and Effects

If you can't make good usable tones with an HD500X... it is on YOU not the unit.... (I admit it could be better but it's still on YOU)
Here's me knocking out a pretty damn decent VHII tone on the HD500X.

I'm just saying I would never own one. period! and wouldn't take tone advice from someone who thinks they are cool LOL

all the lead or rhythm parts played with the amp and load box I liked best. I was like wow this sounds pretty good then it was kind of a let down

I still might get one myself to try out

always quality from mr. thorn. sounds great!

the tones that used a real amp seemed to have more saturation in them even though they were similar.

i also wish he used an onboard IR, not all Ownhammers. when i tried the helix, i felt the onboard cab sims were the weakest part.

... when i tried the helix, i felt the onboard cab sims were the weakest part.

I felt this way too. That's one of the things I like about the Axe FX; I never felt the need to go out buy cabs. But then, people have been screaming for IR loading for years, so I think it's reasonable to demonstrate it in action.
-
Austin

Last edited:
always quality from mr. thorn. sounds great!

the tones that used a real amp seemed to have more saturation in them even though they were similar.

i also wish he used an onboard IR, not all Ownhammers. when i tried the helix, i felt the onboard cab sims were the weakest part.

Are onboard cabs actually IRs? Pete messaged me that he thought using third party IRs were the key to making the Helix sound its best. Others agree. B

all the lead or rhythm parts played with the amp and load box I liked best. I was like wow this sounds pretty good then it was kind of a let down

I still might get one myself to try out

I definitely agree with you. Although the SLO model with OH 212 lead part was my favorite tone in the entire video. I listened with my Shure 440's. I would definitely use that setup without the phaser and little less delay/reverb.

On another note, I have a large selection of OH .wav files and found I prefer the 212 IR's. MAR66 I think. Never heard of Pete Thorn but I agree that the cab modeling is just as important as the amp modeling.

I have a November 4 confirmation on the AX8 but will get the Helix to get me by until I receive my invite.

Pete Thorn could play a tissue box with rubber bands and it would rock...the guy is super talented...he has a knack for writing and playing compelling music. When / if he does an AX8 video that will be exceptional too.

Hopefully he'll get around to doing an Amplifire video first. It would be cool if used the same IR's for all of them.
-
Austin

Hopefully he'll get around to doing an Amplifire video first. It would be cool if used the same IR's for all of them.
-
Austin

He still plans to do the Amplifire video, but had to send his back because something was wrong with it. He's waiting on a replacement.

Pete Thorn could play a tissue box with rubber bands and it would rock...the guy is super talented...he has a knack for writing and playing compelling music. When / if he does an AX8 video that will be exceptional too.

Without a doubt--I listen to his guitar nerd album while driving between towns. Lots of good stuff on...also seems like a real down to earth guy..

And another AX8 vs. Helix thread without a single blind A/B comparison between the two.
So basicly everything is pure blabla.

Move on, nothing to see here.

And another AX8 vs. Helix thread without a single blind A/B comparison between the two.
So basicly everything is pure blabla.

Move on, nothing to see here.

It won't ever happen. Because internet trolls will send nasty messages and post in the thread.

I speak from firsthand experience when I had my hands on a helix before the release (in 2015) and posted a thread to see if anyone wanted to hear a shootout.

Hello RR, no this is not in response to your post #139
Well, I am trying to see the point: The Helix has been out for a long time now-we all know what the ax8 sounds like (like an axefx)
There are many. many reviews of the Helix with video\audio.

A|B here now on the FAS site: what is the purpose? What is gained? and for who? I mean on the fractal site, who gains from this a\b? How do they gain? who cares anymore? Is it really that important...You buy the one that works for you...no problem there.

So I am sorry I just don't get the enormous need a few seem to have for a comparison. Is it to prove something to yourself about what you own? Be it he axe or the helix?
The only comparison that should matter is the one you make for yourself. I am truly amazed at this fascination.
At this point, It honestly just seems like a need to "validate" the Helix. Yes, I said it. well, it is validated everyday on the Line 6 site, as it should be. So, it's cool, it works.

Helix: Pete Thorn sounded good with it. So did the line 6 guy Sean...once again So? Buy one then.....

Back
Top Bottom