AX8 vs FX8 now which one to buy???

fman67

So now we're faced with the choice of the AX8!!

Can we get any idea of the differences between them, I was going to buy the FX, but now the AX might be more my thing.

Anyway, we should at least be thankful that this product wasn't announced just after we all got our FX8's!!

Fman

I am going to assume that the FX8's AD/DA stages are ultra quiet and designed to be transparent in front of a valve amp. I am not going to assume that is the case for the AX8; rather I am going to assume that the AX8 is designed to be used in front of a poweramp. So... no 4-cable method and no ultra-optimizing of the AD/DA stages.

Without having looked at either of them in any detail, my guess would be AX-8 has 2 DSP chips to include amp modelling with a price increase to match, FX-8 has only one DSP for FX only. Other than that, there may not be much difference.

I assume that FX 8 is optimized for 4CM whereas AX8 is an demi-Axe-on-the-floor. So if you're going FRFR, get the AX8. If you're going to use an amp, get the FX8.

All this is of course just assumption.

I still love my amps so I'm definitely getting the FX8 but I also can use the AX8 for recording and when I know that the sound system of where we're playing won't drive me nuts. One of each is the answer. :)

Also you need to factor in the wait time... The FX8 is coming out in a few weeks (give or take a month) and the AX8 is going to be a while (give or take a couple months)

I'm definitely looking forward to getting the details on both devices, but I know not to be in too big a hurry either. I know I would benefit greatly using either device. Too early to say which one would be the best choice for me.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting the details on both devices, but I know not to be in too big a hurry either. I know I would benefit greatly using either device. Too early to say which one would be the best choice for me.

Pretty much all details of the FX8 have been posted:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/FX8-Onesheet.pdf

Minimal details on the AX8
It is not an Axe-Fx. It won't be able to do two amps or two cabs. It won't have things like the Vocoder and other esoteric blocks. It's a stripped down floor version at an aggressive price.
It will have G3 modeling and user IR slots. It has two dual-core DSPs, one for amp modeling the other for effects. These DSPs are slower than the ones in the Axe-Fx so it won't be able to do two instance of amps.
There will be block compatibility between the Axe-Fx and the AX-8 meaning you can copy blocks from your Axe-Fx presets into the AX-8.
It has USB, XLR outs for FOH, 1/4 outputs for local monitoring and an FX loop. Four expression pedal inputs. AC powered, no wall-wart.

I'll buy the FX8.
I only play bass and I'm not satisfeid with the bass amps, cabs feom my axe fx 2.
Cause of that I use traditional bass amps like: svt, svt4, fender and ashdown amps.
And the axefx2 only for effects.
With the fx8 will be a saviour, less things to carry :)

Thanks, I've already seen all this info. I'm interested in the, "devils in the details" type details. None of which is really out there yet.

Pretty much all details of the FX8 have been posted:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/FX8-Onesheet.pdf

Minimal details on the AX8
It is not an Axe-Fx. It won't be able to do two amps or two cabs. It won't have things like the Vocoder and other esoteric blocks. It's a stripped down floor version at an aggressive price.
It will have G3 modeling and user IR slots. It has two dual-core DSPs, one for amp modeling the other for effects. These DSPs are slower than the ones in the Axe-Fx so it won't be able to do two instance of amps.
There will be block compatibility between the Axe-Fx and the AX-8 meaning you can copy blocks from your Axe-Fx presets into the AX-8.
It has USB, XLR outs for FOH, 1/4 outputs for local monitoring and an FX loop. Four expression pedal inputs. AC powered, no wall-wart.

It's interesting. The question is, what is the real difference between the FX capabilities in the FX8 vs AX8? I think there's a lot of guys using amps who need only basic (but quality) FX, but who would also like to have amp models and cab IRs to play with as a bonus.

The AX8 has an FX loop, so it should work for 4CM.

As to 'which one to buy', don't forget that resale value of Fractal products tends to be pretty great. If you are early on the wait list, I'd say order the FX8 as soon as you get the email.

Now I hate those guys who flip sold-out 'wait list' products for profit, but.. I'd give you a pass in this case :). Buy the FX8, by the time the AX8 is available your lightly used FX will probably still be worth what you paid (if not more) on Ebay.

Reactions: ALE
By the look of it the FX8 is purely the effects from the Axe-FX 2 (not surely all the effects from the Axe-FX will be in it) and the AX8 is just the amp models with some basic effects such as reverb. I'm looking at it as being the AX8 is pretty much Fractals version of the Line 6 POD HD500X and the FX8 is Fractals version of the Line 6 M13.
Obviously the Fractal will be MUCH better than the Line 6 but thats the closest comparisons I can draw from it.

As to which to buy depends on your needs. If you're happy with your current rig and just want more effects then the FX8 is the way to go. If you want an ultra portable rig in the form of a floor board then the AX8.

This is just speculation as not much has been said about either product.

By the look of it the FX8 is purely the effects from the Axe-FX 2 (not surely all the effects from the Axe-FX will be in it) and the AX8 is just the amp models with some basic effects such as reverb. I'm looking at it as being the AX8 is pretty much Fractals version of the Line 6 POD HD500X and the FX8 is Fractals version of the Line 6 M13.
Obviously the Fractal will be MUCH better than the Line 6 but thats the closest comparisons I can draw from it.

As to which to buy depends on your needs. If you're happy with your current rig and just want more effects then the FX8 is the way to go. If you want an ultra portable rig in the form of a floor board then the AX8.

This is just speculation as not much has been said about either product.

I don't think we've been given any info yet to suggest that the AX8 will be any less capable than the FX8 on the FX side. The AX8 has 2 DSPs afterall. If anything, it looks more like AX8 might do everything FX8 does PLUS add amp and cab blocks. Although if the total chain size is still limited to 8 blocks than you'd only have 6 for FX after you add one amp and one cab.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would REALLY like to know the full specs and price of the AX8 before pulling the trigger on an FX8. :) I wonder if Fractal will do so before the FX8 actually ships?

The AX8 will have 2dsp but.... Not all the amp models that has on the axefx XL or mark II, I...
So it's still not a good deal this ax8...
I'll buy the fx8, only the efx are the way to go.
I already have the axefx mark I... só ax8 is useless...

FX8 and AX8 serve 2 separate target audiences. The obvious target for FX8 are those with an amplifier who want top notch effects. The AX8 for those who want an all-in-one floor processor solution. I don't think the question of AX8 vs FX8 makes sense.

I also wouldn't say the AX8 is not a good deal just because it doesn't offer the same number of amps or effects. I wouldn't care if the current AXE FX offers 1000 amps or 10 amps, as long as it has the ones I want. The problem is that a lot of people don't want the same amps that I want, and vice versa.... I think paying for individual amps/effects 'al a carte' is the way to go in order to keep prices down, yet still provide the customer with the highest quality amp/effects/floor processor all-in-one solution on the market.

Back
Top Bottom