Ax8 vs fx8 in front of amp. NO 4cm

Jezzbro

Inspired
in the wiki I read:" "The AX8 and FX-8 uses the same converters (CS4272-CZZ) and op-amps".
Does that mean that there is no difference in sound (tone suck) or noise between the ax8 and fx8 when used in front of a real tube amp?
so no 4cm.

There is no "tone suck" with either unit. The FX8 has a lower noise floor. With the use of the Out 2 12dB Boost/Pad, you can also lower the noise floor a bit more on the AX8 (and this is much easier when running at levels that don't include an amp block).

The FX8 is ready out of the box for unity gain and has a DSP bypass feature. The AX8 requires some knowledge or manual reading to get it set for unity gain.

Thank you for your reply.
At the moment I own a ax8.
But it does give hiss when used in front of my amp.
(Using a home made humbuster cable)
I didn't connect it to output 2 though.
It's connected to output 1 set at -10db (at +4db there was way more hiss)
The output 1 (main) pot at maximum position.
Main output in the output section is at +12db.

Tomorrow I will try using output 2 like you say.

Thank you for your help.

Main output in the output section is at +12db.

From how you describe this, it sounds like you might have turned the Level on the Output Mixer Block up to 12dB. That's not what you want for unity, and isn't the same as the 12dB Boost/Pad I mentioned.

The Output 2 Boost/Pad applies only to Output 2 (which is why I recommend using it for your amp input). The possible settings are 0dB or +12dB. What it does is increase the level hitting the converter, and then pads the signal after by the same amount (so the actual output level doesn't change). That has the effect of lowering the noise floor.

Thanks for your reply.
I've connected the ax8 like you said.
That seems to work, less noise.
But now I get a high pitch sound. (Faint but it is there)
When connecting back to output 1 , the high pitch noise is also present.

At the positive side, the ax8 has less noise than my h9.

Still thinking on maybe switching to a fx8.

From how you describe this, it sounds like you might have turned the Level on the Output Mixer Block up to 12dB. That's not what you want for unity, and isn't the same as the 12dB Boost/Pad I mentioned.

The Output 2 Boost/Pad applies only to Output 2 (which is why I recommend using it for your amp input). The possible settings are 0dB or +12dB. What it does is increase the level hitting the converter, and then pads the signal after by the same amount (so the actual output level doesn't change). That has the effect of lowering the noise floor.

Just got the ax8 and want to run it either straight into my amp or 4cm. So your saying it's better to run into a tube amp from out 2 instead of out 1(which the manual says to do)?

Thanks

Just got the ax8 and want to run it either straight into my amp or 4cm. So your saying it's better to run into a tube amp from out 2 instead of out 1(which the manual says to do)?

Thanks

4CM, you'll have to use Out 2 either way. Straight into the front, Out 2 has the lowest noise floor when the Out 2 knob is all the way up and the Out 2 Boost/Pad is set to 12dB. It's not "necessary" but if you have unacceptable noise, it's worth trying that configuration.

OK, to use the AX8 as just pedals (no amp/cab modeling):
1. Set Out 2 to 12dB
2. Turn up Out 2 all of the way
3. Use only output 2 to the input of the amp
4. Set Out 2 (FX send) to ? (output 1? none? input 1?)

I'm interested in this as well, as I have played around with the idea of using the AX8 as my main fx board for my Dr.Z MAZ 18. Maybe even using some of the amp models as a pedals (by turning of power amp simulation).

After reading a few threads and the wiki, this is what I have found:

- connect instrument to the AX8 (duh)
- connect output 2 to input of amp
- set output 2 boost/pad to 12db
- set output 2 nominal out level to -10db
- set output 2 echo to: output 1 (as long as you're not using the fx loop)
- turn the output 2 volume knob all the way up

This should get you there, according to what I have read.

This is where having separate send and return blocks would be really helpful... One could have the amp FX send to the AX8 Return, insert desired FX blocks, then have a signal split, one to the AX8 FX send back to the amp return and the other to a cab block and out output 1 to FOH. You could then blend the miced cab with the direct feed at the board for some really diverse sounds.

Back
Top Bottom