AX8 vs FX8 - Hands-on, critical listening

Unless there's an amp model like a studio tube preamp in the AX8 that will improve the sound of the acoustic guitar. Also, the AX8 allows you to run your acoustic through an IR, similar to the way Fishman Aura systems work. I haven't cared for it yet, but others seem to like it a lot.

There is indeed a tube preamp model (TUBE PRE) in the AX8. There is even a factory preset for acoustic DI setups that utilizes it.

If I wanted any main conclusion or takeaway to stand out from this thread... it's that the FX8 "really does" have an audibly cleaner and clearer analog signal path. With FX8 I really can't hear the difference between 'all FX off' and 'true bypass'.. meaning, I can't hear the A\D or D\A conversion. At all. Amazing. Yet I CAN hear the difference going through the AX8. It's not as clear or transparent. It seems Cliff has chalked this up to the extra high quality analog signal path in the FX8, as the converters are the same.

Bottom line: FX8 is amazing. IF all you need is FX-only, with your amp, and you want the very very best, FX8 is it. For sure. You can still sound great with AX8 in this role, and many people (players included) will not think anything could be lacking. But my ears say there is an audible penalty (compared to FX8).. even straight into the front of an amp, nevermind 4CM.

I hope this helps to reassure any FX8 owners that may be experiencing AX8 envy these days :)

I'm still curious about that instrument input 'secret sauce' thing.. any difference between FX8 and AX8 in that regard. How can anything 'special' be happening to my guitar signal through FX8's input when it sounds (to me) pretty much exactly the same as a guitar cord?

FX8 "really does" have an audibly cleaner and clearer analog signal path. With FX8 I really can't hear the difference between 'all FX off' and 'true bypass'.. meaning, I can't hear the A\D or D\A conversion.
Bottom line: FX8 is amazing. IF all you need is FX-only, with your amp, and you want the very very best, FX8 is it. For sure.
Ok: FX8 is better than AX8 for acoustic GT. Thank you.

Last edited:
Wow very good, informative thread. Thanks.

Now I'm thinking the Fx8 may be more for me. I don't foresee doing the FRFR thing. Nothing wrong with FRFR, but a lot of times I play through provided amps. Sometimes bringing our own amps is very much discouraged. And the provided back line is surely not going to include FRFRs. So I design my sounds to go into a clean amp, whether it be my own Quilter amp or some Fender Hotrod or Marshall half stack I get.

Well I guess I could do the Ax8 straight into the PA. But then I'm at the mercy of the house monitors. I don't know. I'm sure it would sound great FOH but I might get a less than inspiring sound on stage that may cause ignorant band mates to look at me like, your rig sucks.

Amp modeling is convenient feature. But since I'm really interested in clean amp sounds (not so much the Rectifier high gain stuff), I can do that very well with a SansSmp in s pinch. My current analog pedalboard sounds great going direct through an old SansAmp.

Anyway I'm rambling. But interesting food for thought in this thread.

Wow very good, informative thread. Thanks.

Now I'm thinking the Fx8 may be more for me. I don't foresee doing the FRFR thing. Nothing wrong with FRFR, but a lot of times I play through provided amps. Sometimes bringing our own amps is very much discouraged. And the provided back line is surely not going to include FRFRs. So I design my sounds to go into a clean amp, whether it be my own Quilter amp or some Fender Hotrod or Marshall half stack I get.

Well I guess I could do the Ax8 straight into the PA. But then I'm at the mercy of the house monitors. I don't know. I'm sure it would sound great FOH but I might get a less than inspiring sound on stage that may cause ignorant band mates to look at me like, your rig sucks.

Amp modeling is convenient feature. But since I'm really interested in clean amp sounds (not so much the Rectifier high gain stuff), I can do that very well with a SansSmp in s pinch. My current analog pedalboard sounds great going direct through an old SansAmp.

Anyway I'm rambling. But interesting food for thought in this thread.
What Quilter amp do you have? I have been thinking about picking one of those up to use with my 4x12 cab.

First, thanks to all for one of the best threads ever.

My question, with AX8: If you want to plug straight into tube amp with guitar and just use post preamp effects (reverb, delay, etc.) in the preset, is the best method simply to go from the loop's send to the guitar input, the output one to return?

First, thanks to all for one of the best threads ever.

My question, with AX8: If you want to plug straight into tube amp with guitar and just use post preamp effects (reverb, delay, etc.) in the preset, is the best method simply to go from the loop's send to the guitar input, the output one to return?

That's easiest method, and it ensures that the tuner and the pitch/envelope controllers work (they use Input 1 only).

Hey Robbo!

When you plugged into just the fx return of your head, did the wet effects like reverbs, choruses, and delays sound the same like how they would in 4CM? (clearer, more audible, generally more apparent)?

Robboman thanks for the details.

I’m using an AX8 with a Marshall JVM410H going to (2) Avatar cabs. I can’t speak for the FX8 but agree the AX8 has a noise issue when using the 4CM, however by doing the following, most of which was suggested by wolbai on this Forum I have neutralized most of the noise:

1) Adjusting the input gate

2) Making sure the I/O setting options +4dBu or -10dBV match the amp

3) Using humbuster cables (Fractals version of a shielded cable) for the AX8 outputs

4) Adding a GateExp block for filtering just after the FXLoop block in the preset.

I tried what you suggested “AX8 output direct to the loop return on the back of my tube head” but since the JVM410H has the gain, tone and individual channel volumes before the amps FX Loop return I lose this functionality so I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or you have the same results but are okay with adjusting these in the AX8 or if your amp does not have all the functionality before the FX Loop return.

Ken

Best of both worlds:

At present I’m going with the 4CM method with global setting set to Power amp modeling off and Cabinet modeling in bypass so I can do either of the below:
1. Use Presets with FX Blocks which uses the JVM preamp and all of its preamp settings (tone, gain, individual channel volumes).
2. Use Presets where Amp Blocks replace FX Blocks which then uses the AX8 amp modeling, drives, etc. Here I keep the JVM on channel 1 Green (full clean sound).

Option 1 has more noise which I can live with and is easier to setup, option 2 sounds better but is much more work to setup the different Amp Blocks.

Thanks for your posts, I've made unbelievable progress.

Do you know of a video or link that explains what MIDI is and how to use it?

Ken

Back
Top Bottom